Removed the menu button too soon?

Tical

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I love my new evo, but miss my old menu button. Yes, I know its been depreciated in ICS... Yes, I know its the responsibility of the app designers to update/ not the fault of Google or HTC or Sprint or anyone else... But when 18 out 20 of my downloaded apps need the soft menu button, it's just not there yet. It seems like HTC wanted it both ways...physical buttons, but to acknowledge ICS standards...and it seemed like it satisfied neither. I don't have the flexibility of soft buttons (i.e nexus), but not the full blown legacy of hard buttons (i.e. GS3) In the end, its a less than ideal solution to the reality of where 99% of apps are now... Maybe I'm being picky, but it just felt forced a standard a little too early... (and this is coming from an Opera user..lol)

everyday17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Apps won't change until the users demand it. Including a menu button on phones just gives an excuse for app developers to be lazy.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Although it's super ugly, I can deal with the overlay button that's placed on non-ICS apps.

The screen is large enough to where it doesn't compromise functionality of the apps so far.

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Although it's super ugly, I can deal with the overlay button that's placed on non-ICS apps.

The screen is large enough to where it doesn't compromise functionality of the apps so far.

I agree with what your saying, but I think it's just a total waist of space ... Either take ALL the buttons off or leave them all on ... Whether it has 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 buttons, your using the EXACT same space ... Take them all off and open the screen without making the phone bigger ... The black generic menu bar on my apps is getting annoying because it would only take the Dev a little time to integrate the Menu within the app for a better UI.

Tical

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Apps won't change until the users demand it. Including a menu button on phones just gives an excuse for app developers to be lazy.

I agree 100%, but lets be honest. We (those that know better) are in the minority... My wife isn't going to stop, email the app dev to update what she sees as a functional app... Just that its ugly that she has this black bar come up a lot of times...

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The question is would you go back to your old phone or select something else because of this issue? On apps where it's especially annoying, contact the developer and let them know. This can be done through the Play Store. I've seen a few where they do have an ICS menu button in the app but the HTC one comes up anyway. I don't know if that's an HTC problem or an app problem. There has to be something in the code that is triggering it.

Benzter

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I miss the menu and search button, guess you get used to them being there after two years of using the OG Evo. ICS went in a dare I say, iphone-like direction having the to press a on screen menu button that isn't there yet for many apps. With the menu button it was consistent, always in the same place (next to the home button lol). Obviously the idea with ics is to have the menu bar at the bottom but will every dev do this?

Tical

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't think its a deal breaker for anyone. The screen plenty large enough for the solution that they came up with. I'm more asking... "was this the wrong solution at this point in ICS adoption". If they were going full ICS mode, why not use the space on the screen for virtual buttons ala nexus. If they wanted to go legacy, why not add menu ala galaxy 3. Its like they were acknowledging the fact most apps still need the menu button, but only in the most begrudging way...but ultimately the way that created the worst user experience (the inflexibility of hard buttons AND the 15% loss of screen for soft buttons). Down the road, when all apps are updated, it will be moot... But RIGHT NOW, its less than ideal... In other words was it too soon to not have a menu button?

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It would always be too soon for the first few devices.

I mean, this is android for you....love it or hate it, these are problems that exist for a platform that is always pushing forward.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with what your saying, but I think it's just a total waist of space ... Either take ALL the buttons off or leave them all on ... Whether it has 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 buttons, your using the EXACT same space ... Take them all off and open the screen without making the phone bigger ... The black generic menu bar on my apps is getting annoying because it would only take the Dev a little time to integrate the Menu within the app for a better UI.

I'm with you there.

I actually miss the dedicated search button. It was convenient having it on the bottom because I could tap it with my thumb and type away. Now that it's at the top of most apps, I have to take my hand off the phone to reach the search button/box because it's too far away.

Again, something to get used to, but I just wish the software search buttons/boxes were at the bottom of the app and not the top. Was so fluid before.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I miss the menu and search button, guess you get used to them being there after two years of using the OG Evo. ICS went in a dare I say, iphone-like direction having the to press a on screen menu button that isn't there yet for many apps. With the menu button it was consistent, always in the same place (next to the home button lol). Obviously the idea with ics is to have the menu bar at the bottom but will every dev do this?

Well said, I concur! Couldn't have said it better!

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Nearly a deal breaker for me. And Samsung decided to keep the menu button on the GS3.

This is the bigger issue....Google designed a phone WITH samsung with how they wanted ICS to be with the button layout.

Samsung makes a phone that still has menu and search button..

Developers will probably keep the layout they have been having since SGIII will probably lead android phone sales this year.