How does notifications for Gmail push work?

nycken

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I had my phone off (and locked) and saw an email come in via my PC. But El Tevo didnt light up for a few minutes after. If I have the phone on, the notifications usually come in instantly, but not always.

It feels like the Gmail autosync is more delayed when the phone is off. Is this just me, or is this normal? It would make sense for conserving battery, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the notification light.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't use the actual Gmail Mail App, but rather the stock email app that comes with the EVO. Here's the setup I did to get true "push" email:

Here is how to setup push Gmail on the stock Mail app but there are a few bugs and a workaround...

In the HTC Mail app select Menu then New Account
Select Exchange ActiveSync and use the settings below:
Gmail Exchange ActiveSync server address: m.google.com
Gmail Exchange ActiveSync domain: google
Gmail Exchange ActiveSync user name: Your full Gmail address (ex. your name@gmail.com)
Gmail Exchange ActiveSync password: Your Gmail password
Gmail Exchange ActiveSync TLS/SSL required: yes
You can also access Gmail using POP3 or IMAP, and send using SMTP.

Do not sync calendar or contacts.

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been testing this recently...there is a 1-2 minute delay (sometime longer) on the Gmail app on my EVO. Would be interested to know why but I'm experiencing the same delays as you.

nycken

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for verifying. I think it's a combination of google servers and the auto-sync of android.

If you dont get an email for a while, it seems like you get notified pretty quick when one does come in. But as you get more, I think they throttle it. With auto-sync, I'm guessing the timers run at longer intervals when the phone is sleeping.

Since I have unlimited texts, I can have gmail forward to my text address so I get instant alerts. But I was hoping I could avoid this.

flyhighx

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Gonna resurrect this. I'm still having this issue as well. If my phone is on, or has been recently used, gmail gets pushed to my phone at the same time it comes across on my laptop. If the phone has been asleep for a while, my laptop will get gmail notifications up to 5 or even 15 minutes before it comes across on my phone! I find myself periodically turning my phone on and waiting a second or two just to see if any mail came through that I may have missed. As soon as the phone is unlocked, I'll often get 4 or 5 emails at once that were all received at different times over a 15 minute period that never came through.