How do you think BB will handle this? Plus other thoughts

Should I return and rebuy? Or wait out the 30 days?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
So last Thursday I was one of the lucky (or so I thought) people who was able to get my two preordered Evo 4G LTEs at Best Buy. The activation took a few hours because the mobile manager was stuck on hold waiting for Bridge (the people they call when they have an issue with a sale going through) to pick up. Finally they got all the promotions settled and we traded two OGs for two LTEs.

Sounds good, right? Well my wife's LTE had a problem with the camera. When the camera focuses in on something close it won't refocus if you point the phone at something further away. The only way to fix it is to stop the camera application and restart it. Here is a picture from my wife's phone:

IMAG0010.jpg

Here is a picture from mine at basically the same angle:

IMAG0014.jpg

I called Best Buy the day my wife found the issue (last Friday), and they told me that they didn't have any to exchange. They also told me that I would have to wait until all the preorders were filled before I could get my replacement. Plus they were still accepting preorders they had no idea how many shipments it would take for me to be able to swap my phone out.

I talked to the mobile manager again when the Launch date was announced. She told me that they were definitely not going to have the replacement on launch since they had gotten so many preorders. I asked her if they were going to suspend the 30 day return policy for me (in case they didn't get any in on time) since they couldn't replace my phone. She said she would have to get back to me. She called me back and told me that they wouldn't move the 30 day return date at all, so I would have to do a return and rebuy within the 30 days. She said if I could wait 29 days and most likely they would have them in.

After I talked to her I thought about it and realized that if I go past the 14 day mark I would not be able to return and rebuy since I would have lost my upgrade. So now I have until Thursday to make my decision on how I will handle it.

Either ride out the 30 days and hope they get a new one in on time. If they don't get one within 30 days I can call corporate to have them push the date (not guaranteed) or turn it in as damaged with sprint and have insurance send me a new one, but possibly get a refurb when I should have a brand new phone.

Or, I could return by Wednesday/Thursday and rebuy when they get stock, which brings up another issue. I traded in my Evo which gave me $100 and I got the $5o for activating the phone. Most likely if I turn in the phone I won't get the $5o for buying the LTE back. This is frustrating because I know I will have to pay the activation with Sprint even though I am returning the phone, hopefully I can convince them to waive the second activation when I rebuy the phone. But what is really going to make me mad is if they try to only give me $50 back for the Evo. $50 was for the trade in and $50 was for activating another phone so I can see them arguing not to give me back the $100 (most likely gift card). But it I shouldn't be out that money because they can't provide me a replacement.

So which option would you do? And what do you think they will give back as far as gift cards for the Evo?

Last edited:

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Oh Best Buy. Dealing with Sprint directly is so much easier. I would call Sprint and explain the situation and see if they can ensure you won't get charged an act fee. Then I would return my evo and talk to the manager in regards to the buy back issue. They've gotta be able to work with you. This isn't your fault and it sounds like they are screwing you over.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
You have 30 days with BB soooo tell them you don't want the Evo(bad) phone and you will switch to another iPhone for a week. Then say you prefer the Evo and get a new one from another BB store.:D

sent from my Evo4LTE

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
i wonder if its a problem with the camera button on the side. it's a two-press button. pushing it halfway locks the focus on what youre looking at and pressing it all the way takes the picture. if you press the button halfway and hold it and move the camera to point at something else, it's blurry because it still has the focus setting from the original angle that you were using. after you let go it re-focuses. maybe the phone thinks the button is always half-pressed...

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
i wonder if its a problem with the camera button on the side. it's a two-press button. pushing it halfway locks the focus on what youre looking at and pressing it all the way takes the picture. if you press the button halfway and hold it and move the camera to point at something else, it's blurry because it still has the focus setting from the original angle that you were using. after you let go it re-focuses. maybe the phone thinks the button is always half-pressed...

It happens without touching that button at all. I happens if I aim the camera at an item up close. It auto focuses and never releases. Maybe the button is always half pressed (on this phone) but I don't think so.

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh Best Buy. Dealing with Sprint directly is so much easier. I would call Sprint and explain the situation and see if they can ensure you won't get charged an act fee. Then I would return my evo and talk to the manager in regards to the buy back issue. They've gotta be able to work with you. This isn't your fault and it sounds like they are screwing you over.

The rational side of me says they are following their policies and they aren't screwing me. The inner Mel Gibson is yelling at me to smite them for targeting me :).

I contacted Sprint and they are taking the stance that it is a Best Buy problem. But if I have to return it and there isn't a replacement to exchange it I will be working on the activation fee.

monkeypimp

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I would escalate it to the store manager.... Then the district manager if necessary. They will take care of you, you just have to speak to someone who has some actual power.

Vysse

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I similarly have an issue with my phone that I bought at best buy.basically after14 days you can exchange it at a sprint store.also remember your under a 1 year warranty with HTC so replacement should be free

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
The rational side of me says they are following their policies and they aren't screwing me. The inner Mel Gibson is yelling at me to smite them for targeting me :).

I contacted Sprint and they are taking the stance that it is a Best Buy problem. But if I have to return it and there isn't a replacement to exchange it I will be working on the activation fee.

Nah they are screwing you. They've made their money off of you try thru the sale and now that they have done that they don't care. There's no reason they can't set a new phone aside for you. But they won't because there is no money in exchanges. Business...

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Nah they are screwing you. They've made their money off of you try thru the sale and now that they have done that they don't care. There's no reason they can't set a new phone aside for you. But they won't because there is no money in exchanges. Business...

I don't agree with that for a second. I've never had an issue with BB that I couldn't get straightened out, even if it took a little time.

And for the OP, I would be shock if there wasn't a replacement device within 30 days (45 days if you are a Reward Zone member). The OG EVO was a huge seller and they had stock of that device within a couple of weeks after launch. Remember, too: you can take it to any BB around, even out of state! As long as you purchased @ BB and have a receipt, any other BB can exchange or accept a return. The only difference being that a return at a different location will include the tax for that location, not where you purchased. If you pay 10% sales tax where you bought but they only charge 7% where you return, you get the 7% back. Doesn't apply to exchanges though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s