Head to Head Performance comparison of EVO LTE and SGS3

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Engadget.com showed an interesting table of performance benchmarks (see attached) comparing EVO LTE and Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III...I wasn't going to switch anyways, but this shows EVO shining a little..:cool:

Reactions: mhuggins

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I just read the article and stumbled upon this post...

The article did point out that repeated tests might flip the results in the SG3's favor...they didn't even specify how many test runs they did.

The interesting thing I took from the article was that GPS lock took 6 seconds I believe. My EVO LTE locks GPS within 2-3 seconds. They also said that AT&T's SG3's GPS wasn't as accurate. This could indicate Samsung's notoriously bad radios at work again (international versions never criticized this, but they weren't dealing with operating the phones in the US).

Another thing Engadget noted was HTC's screen was better in their opinion (better viewing angles, not overly saturated, and no PenTile).

I'm becoming more and more comfortable with my EVO now. :)

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

The article did point out that repeated tests might flip the results in the SG3's favor...they didn't even specify how many test runs they did.

The interesting thing I took from the article was that GPS lock took 6 seconds I believe. My EVO LTE locks GPS within 2-3 seconds. They also said that AT&T's SG3's GPS wasn't as accurate. This could indicate Samsung's notoriously bad radios at work again (international versions never criticized this, but they weren't dealing with operating the phones in the US).

Another thing Engadget noted was HTC's screen was better in their opinion (better viewing angles, not overly saturated, and no PenTile).

Samsung radios info in the article made me completely stop thinking about SGS3...if you check out Cnet review (Samsung Galaxy S III Review - Watch CNET's Video Review), they also mention that SGS3 screen is much darker (low brightness) at max brightness as compared to iPhone and One X...and whites are not accurate..

LegacyEvoAce

May 29, 2012
Visit site

IMO its been rather obvious for a while now that the Evo is the better phone except if you need to multitask in which case the SG3 wins by infinity.

Thats not to say that the S3 sucks because it definitely does not the phone is a great phone but holy those screens are garbage they really need to start using ips or something better then those crapaleds.

Reactions: Mercury81

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Another thing I thought was interesting in the Engadget comparison:

AT&T's LTE-enabled battery life was 9:20 while Sprint's 3G battery life was just 10 minutes less at 9:10. AT&T and Sprint SG3's both have the same battery. Does connecting to the LTE network (when it's finally rolled out) not drain battery life faster than a 3G only connection? I hope so...I'm getting used to getting 30+ hours on a single charge.

ibleedbloo

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
IMO its been rather obvious for a while now that the Evo is the better phone except if you need to multitask in which case the SG3 wins by infinity.

Thats not to say that the S3 sucks because it definitely does not the phone is a great phone but holy those screens are garbage they really need to start using ips or something better then those crapaleds.

I agree. If I was able to multitask more efficiently switching phones would not even cross my mind. IMO the EVO wins in every category except for removable battery (which would be nice but I'm fine living without) and multitasking. It's crazy how much I took for granted the ability to multitask... It's unacceptable that my two year old OG EVO can handle playing/pausing a podcast and answering incoming calls better than a brand new high end piece of technology.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Reactions: cloak.n.dagger

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
While the SIII took mere seconds to lock GPS longer they also pointed out that it was more accurate.

I don't use the phone GPS that much so it's not a big deal either way.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Engadget.com showed an interesting table of performance benchmarks (see attached) comparing EVO LTE and Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III...I wasn't going to switch anyways, but this shows EVO shining a little..:cool:

Link? I can't seem to find the article on Engadget.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
It should be the biggest headliner on engadget's side. It was a double review of the AT&T and Sprint Galaxy S3s. Should be pretty easy to spot.

Reactions: kbp08tls

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
It should be the biggest headliner on engadget's side. It was a double review of the AT&T and Sprint Galaxy S3s. Should be pretty easy to spot.

Ahhhh, I was looking for a GS3 vs E4GLTE article. Thanks!

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It's unacceptable that my two year old OG EVO can handle playing/pausing a podcast and answering incoming calls better than a brand new high end piece of technology.
What happens? I listen to podcasts almost all day long and have the og EVO. Right now, when my call has ended, it simply goes back to playing the podcast.
Also, do you ever list to podcast using the speaker? If so, is the EVO LTE as loud or louder than the og EVO?

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Heck, I guess that's pretty good news for us EVO LTE owners. I wasn't going to switch anyway, and never really considered the SIII. I almost upgraded my OG EVO for the SII, but in a quick (15 mins) side by side comparison in the Sprint Store, it didn't blow me or my OG EVO away. I knew a new EVO would be out in a year, so I decided to wait. Glad I did!

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
THE OG EVO SPEAKER BLOWS THE EVO LTE SPEAKER AWAY! Period, point blank. This is one of the small disappointments I've had with the EVO LTE. It's not a deal breaker though...

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The s3 looks to be on par minus the screen. But it works better overall and wait here's the big one it actually multitasks!

themuffinman

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
THE OG EVO SPEAKER BLOWS THE EVO LTE SPEAKER AWAY! Period, point blank. This is one of the small disappointments I've had with the EVO LTE. It's not a deal breaker though...

I agree. The EVO LTE speaker could be better.

So let me guess, both of you didn't have an evo 3d did you? Yes the speaker on the og evo was great but the one on the evo 3d had to be one of the worst speakers ever on a smartphone. So yeah the speaker on the og evo is still better than the evo lte but at least the evo lte speaker is light years ahead of the evo 3d.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana