Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Browser keeps closing and reverting to phone's home screen

It use to happen before the previous update which was reported to contain a fix for it but in actuality, it got worst. The only fix I found to work is not to browse in desktop view. I found it to work in mobile view but that sucks as a lot of the sites I visit don't allow mobile view. Come on HTC.

I'm having the same problem but I though it was a problem with the Rom I am running. I got with the dev he said he don't use the stock browser so he doesn't know if it happens. sounds like most of you all are stock unrooted so it has to be something with the latest 2.13 update.
    padre1357 likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Exact same problem here! Yahoo, Google and even sprint.com close. No FC messages or anything else. Only the stock browser does it, though, not Dolphin. All of this has been since the last update. And after the update I did a factory reset, so I haven't re-installed Chrome.

I installed Chrome and it is no longer doing it.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMom View Post
    I installed Chrome and it is no longer doing it.
    Until there's flash, no love from me

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dontspamtheman View Post
    Mine recently started doing this also and it is frequent.... And now the latest update messed up my individual ringtones which I rely on to know who is calling without looking at the screen. The Phone also lags. I hate to admit it but I think this phone has been a disappointment
    My phone went to crap shortly after the update where it would lag, it would take 20-30 seconds for the messaging app or contacts app to load, it wouldn't auto search filling in the "To:"field, etc.

I did a factory reset and everything is back to normal now. It's kind of a pain to get your homescreens re-setup and all the apps back the way I like them, but the phone is back to being usable again. Might want to give that a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by geomatrix View Post
    Until there's flash, no love from me

Thanks to Adobe and Apple.... Flash on our phones is dead. :banghead:

The issue of the browser force closing is not limited to the HTC evo 4G lte. It is also not limited to the stock browser. There are similar threads to this in many different device forums and across lots of different browsers. I'm having this same problem on my tablet as well which is where another big thread about this issue is. It seems like an android or flash problem.

I have been having the same problem. Spoke with Sprint went through diagnosis and troubleshooting. They advised replacing. Took the phone back to Best Buy since it is still within the 30 day return window. Got a brand new one straight out of the box, same issue. I called Sprint back and was able to get them to recreate the issue in their advanced tech support. Sprint got HTC invloved, said this is the first they have heard about the issue. Both escalated tickets, call backs for 24-48 hours. Keep you posted......
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

For what its worth "First we have heard of this problem" are famous lines from Sprint tech support:-) I'm sure they are getting a ton of calls on this.
    Zookeeper63 likes this.

Maybe google is pushing users to use google chrome so they get use to a no flash support browser when the jelly bean updates arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by GHB View Post
    For what its worth "First we have heard of this problem" are famous lines from Sprint tech support:-) I'm sure they are getting a ton of calls on this.
    Yea the sprint reps are usually either lying when it comes to problems and there fix is always replacing new phone which pissed me off. That doesn't solve anything. Either that or there plainly just stupid. This problem is really starting to annoy the sh** out of me. I can't read any news articles or ant website for that matter

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Since the problem started I have been using the Dolphin Browser. I figured it would be a temporary thing until they had a fix for the stock browser. Well, after using Dolphin for about a week now I can honestly say I may not go back to the stock browser even when it is fixed. Dolphin is faster, supports flash and has a very easy to use and clean layout.

I to get the fc but no fc msg just goes to home screen, so started using dolphin and well I guess ima just use this now, simple fix for me

Sent from my EVO LTE

On xda one of the devs looked into the issue because he thought it was a Rom issue but when he looked at his logcat he says that its a java error on certain websites that you would visit.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Dolphin browser just closed on me as well... Wtf man

I think it is flash related.... Although so far chrome has worked fine.

ROM
    Stock

i have yet to have chrome force close on me. i haven't used the stock browser in about a month, it never closed when i used it either.

Quote Originally Posted by tybo31316 View Post
    On xda one of the devs looked into the issue because he thought it was a Rom issue but when he looked at his logcat he says that its a java error on certain websites that you would visit.

Ive had this problem for a while as well, and switched to dolphin to avoid it.

Based on the above info I disabled javascript in settings/advanced for the stock browser and it seems to have taken care of the problem. I have visited a few sites from bookmarks and so far so good. I havnt tested this very long so too early to really tell, FWIW if turning off javascript doesnt work, there is also option to turn of flash as well.
    Last edited by RickJN; 09-20-2012 at 12:52 PM.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

I have tried turning off Java and Flash. I thought this did the trick and then, BOOM! It did it again...

My problem is still clear and have turned JavaScript back on.

FWIW last night my son was playing mc3 and depleted the battery, maybe even overheated it. Screen went black, notification led flashing with menu buttons lit. Phone wouldn't respond or restart even by holding down the power button through several attempts. It did finally restart after charging for a while. I wonder if that discharge event created a 'deeper' ( for lack of a better term) battery pull. While I still had the problem prior to that, I didn't check this morning before I tried disabling JavaScript. Maybe it was that discharge that did it.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Mine started doing that more frequently after the latest update. It only closes on the stock browser but not chrome(which should b the stock browser imo on 4.0+ devices) or maxton. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJN View Post
    My problem is still clear and have turned JavaScript back on.

FWIW last night my son was playing mc3 and depleted the battery, maybe even overheated it. Screen went black, notification led flashing with menu buttons lit. Phone wouldn't respond or restart even by holding down the power button through several attempts. It did finally restart after charging for a while. I wonder if that discharge event created a 'deeper' ( for lack of a better term) battery pull. While I still had the problem prior to that, I didn't check this morning before I tried disabling JavaScript. Maybe it was that discharge that did it.
    Why would you let a kid mess with an expensive device! He obviously has no respect for things!

Sent From My EVO 4G LTE!

Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    Why would you let a kid mess with an expensive device! He obviously has no respect for things!

Sent From My EVO 4G LTE!
    What kid doesn't play with expensive devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
    Zookeeper63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timato View Post
    What kid doesn't play with expensive devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
    mine!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast