Bugs in Jelly Bean

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
sooo now the keyboard changed, i was able to add the arrows back on so that its the same size it used to be, but i'm not quite used to the numbers now being on the left side of the keyboard when they used to be on the right.. Anyway to download the old keyboard back onto my phone?? maybe an .apk .. anyone have a link?

Honestly, the kb has always been one of the best features of HTC Sense IMO. Not happy that they made it less useful and less efficient.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I contacted HTC today about the proximity sensor issue and got this reply on factory resetting the phone and wiping the partition. It didn't work for me but I thought I'd post it in case it helps others.

Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support, Thank you for contacting us. We're committed to delivering a great customer experience. As such, we investigate all reported issues. If a hardware or software change is found to improve a customer experience, it will be deployed according to our standard, required processes. We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced and appreciate your patience as we work quickly to investigate this issue.

Please, follow the steps below to clear all the cache on the phone; this will restore the phone software, except for the ROM Jelly bean update.

1. Turn the phone off
2. Press and hold the Volume Down key and then briefly press the Power key.
3. When you see the screen with the three Android images, release the Volume Down key.
4. Press the Volume Down key to select Factory Reset.
5. Press the Power key.
6. Navigate to ?Recovery? using volume buttons, then press power to select.
7. The screen will change to display a phone on its back, with the update symbol above it. Momentarily it will change to an image of a phone with a red triangle and exclamation mark.
8. Press and hold volume up then press the power button. You will see something very similar to the example shown below.

e:can?t open /cache/recovery/command
e:/ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory exists)

9. A new screen will give you options like Reboot system now, Wipe Cache partition, and Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
10. Navigate to ?Wipe Cache? the volume down button and select with Power.
11. Navigate to ?Reboot Phone? with the volume buttons and select with power.

guitarfish

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Me too! Would it be so hard to give us OPTIONS?
Drop keyboard: Enable/Disable

And the continuous wrapping home screen...I'd rather have the old way with the floating wallpaper. Choices people, that's all we're asking for. Instead we get used to something we LIKE, and then boom, it's gone because some nameless faceless person had an idea.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Also, when using the browser on a web page like this forum, I keep getting the top tray dropping down every 20-30 secs, which probably isn't a good thing for signal. I'm betting that it is a poor signal response or something, which I didn't have in this same location before the update. Hope battery isn't worse now.

Jd Sommers

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've done a 4 restarts today. This thing is driving me crazy. My battery died even though I barely used my phone. Voicemail app wouldn't load for like 3 minutes. Same with my contacts, text messages, etc. When someone calls me, I accept the call and then the screen goes dark. Doesn't come back right away when I hit the power button so having a hard time hanging up on people, putting it on speaker, etc. The whole phone is super laggy and slow. Help!

geomatrix

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Me too! Would it be so hard to give us OPTIONS?
Drop keyboard: Enable/Disable

And the continuous wrapping home screen...I'd rather have the old way with the floating wallpaper. Choices people, that's all we're asking for. Instead we get used to something we LIKE, and then boom, it's gone because some nameless faceless person had an idea.

Just press the back button and it'll make the keyboard go bye bye

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

geomatrix

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Only true bugs I find are the proximity sensor going loco and voicemail app going black when listening to a message. One other thing which is probably that I type to fast but sometimes the word doesn't fully appear till I stop typing

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
The resolution on camera pics set as wallpaper seems very grainy now. Didn't used to be bad like that for pics in the camera gallery.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Why? You have to press a button either way! Your just being nitpicky!

No, he has a point. It is not as "intuitive" to press the "Back" button just to make the keyboard hide as it was to use a dedicated key. I can see this frustrating a lot of users. I would consider myself a pretty astute Android user, but it didn't occur to me to try "back" until it was posted on this thread...

coyoterogue

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So for absolutely no reason, phone just sitting on my desk for a long time, it is now finding and connected to my home wi-fi. Nothing done or changed since I last tried.

Of course, now, I am having the proximity sensor thingie issue when talking on the phone. *sigh*

I am not factory resetting a third time dammit! :}

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
No, he has a point. It is not as "intuitive" to press the "Back" button just to make the keyboard hide as it was to use a dedicated key. I can see this frustrating a lot of users. I would consider myself a pretty astute Android user, but it didn't occur to me to try "back" until it was posted on this thread...

Agree. It is also much more intuitive and efficient when writing a long business email that needs to be accurate.
I think the kb has been made worse in several ways.

weirdia

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty that the mic only hides when you're in an app that has a mic of it's own in the input filed field, like Google Search and Google Now. The mic seems to be there for me when I'm in app that don't have their own mic, like Google Voice text, Gmail, and Email. Not true for Swype, though, no mic no how.

weirdia

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I see that now, it was kinda hidden. Thanks for pointing it out!

This option is not available in the Swype keyboard, only the stock HTC keyboard. Not sure why Swype does not allow for voice to text anymore, disappointing.

I just noticed the mic is not visible on either keyboard sometimes, but available as an option with a long press on the period with the HTC stock keyboard. It's not always there though, this is frustrating because I often used the mic to dictate my texts. Now I'm not able to do that directly in the messaging app, this seems like an odd change.

I'm pretty that the mic only hides when you're in an app that has a mic of it's own in the input filed field, like Google Search and Google Now. The mic seems to be there for me when I'm in apps that don't have their own mic, like Google Voice text, Gmail, and Email. This is only for the stock keyboard, not true for Swype, which has no mic no how.

Phoenix Rev

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
For those experiencing battery drop quicker than before and are in areas with no LTE yet (like here in Phoenix), the upgrade to Jelly Bean reset the "Network Mode" to LTE/CDMA which would leave the phone continuously scanning for LTE.

To set it back: Settings>Mobile data>Network mode>CDMA only.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Is the vm app going blank when listening to a message when you put the phone on your ear, or in speakerphone mode also?
If listening in your ear, the prox sensor turns the screen off so you don't touch vm functions. (unlike the old version were I kept touching buttons while listening to my vms)