Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Foxfi doesn't work with jelly bean :(

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Foxfi doesn't work with jelly bean :(

Sadly that appears to be the case
    FoxFi Devices
    Dallas, TX
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE
    (Sprint: HTC PPC6700 HTC PPC6800 HTC TP2 BB Torch 9850)

Which version of foxfi are you trying to run? I haven't downloaded the update because I need the wifi hotspot. I'm still on 1.91.3. Current 30 minute limited free version is 1.95.4

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chingwodapigu View Post
    Which version of foxfi are you trying to run? I haven't downloaded the update because I need the wifi hotspot. I'm still on 1.91.3. Current 30 minute limited free version is 1.95.4
    1.91.3 asks you to update and says it will not work.

Using paid ver 1.95.4. Will not assign IP address to my PC. It also took the liberty of adding "EVO" to my Wifi's network name.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbekens View Post
    1.91.3 asks you to update and says it will not work.
    Dallas, TX
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Well, it was not a secret or surprise that it was not going to work. It has been in the threads for a while that the FoxFi site had the Evo LTE with 4.1 listed as not working.

So..... Any other non-root alternatives? Anyone with insight if they are trying a workaround?

From what I can see, no other non-root app could do what FoxFi did. They all require proprietary "software" to install on the target device, meaning it will not work with all tablets/devices, and many offer no Linux support.
    Last edited by crxssi; 12-13-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

I haven't downloaded the update because I need the wifi hotspot.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

But Open Garden does work. I have it on my Win 7 Lenovo laptop and my wife's Nexus 7, and download speeds by speedtest are 0.8 mbps. I only have 3G here in central Virginia. But this is viable. Unfortunately, there is no app for my HP Touchpad.
    But Open Garden would be fine with 4G or in a pinch. No issues and it's free.

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwbekens View Post
    But Open Garden does work. I have it on my Win 7 Lenovo laptop and my wife's Nexus 7, and download speeds by speedtest are 0.8 mbps. I only have 3G here in central Virginia. But this is viable. Unfortunately, there is no app for my HP Touchpad.
    But Open Garden would be fine with 4G or in a pinch. No issues and it's free.
    Unfortunately, that is not viable for everyone. I will repeat what I wrote previously...

"From what I can see, no other non-root app could do what FoxFi did. They all require proprietary "software" to install on the target device, meaning it will not work with all tablets/devices, and many offer no Linux support."

With Open Garden, it is even worse:

* No Linux support. No ipad/iphone/itouch support.
    * Pairs whether you want it to or not, as long as bluetooth is on.
    * They are trying to be more than a hotspot, they are running "services" all the time, including GPS.
    * These services drain the batteries in all devices.
    * It also seems to be geared to want to "share" your bandwidth with other people, which might not be what you want. There are NO access controls.
    * And because it doesn't look like a network connection to client programs (especially on tablets), many apps will refuse to work at all, like Google Voice Search, Play Store, and many, many others.
    * One comment from their team seems to indicate it also sends back all kinds of info and/or depends on their "opengarden" servers on the Internet (connected through Amazon EC2).
    Last edited by crxssi; 12-13-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

ROM
    stock

There are 2 Open Garden apps, did you try the mesh one? No root needed.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I got Foxfi to work using blue tooth and pdanet tablet on my nexus 7.

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by illdini View Post
    There are 2 Open Garden apps, did you try the mesh one? No root needed.
    Are you addressing me or someone else?

If me, did you not see all the stuff I just listed in my last posting?

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Are you addressing me or someone else?

If me, did you not see all the stuff I just listed in my last posting?
    If you took the update you're SOL.

I talked to the developers of FoxFi and they say they are trying to work out a solution but tethering will not work as it did pre-JB since I guess there is some major restriction there.

If you want to have free tethering stop being lazy and just root... if you accepted the update you're probably SOL with the current methods to root.
    Sprint Samsung GS3 (cya SPRINT!) > 32GB Nexus 5

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digink#AC View Post
    If you took the update you're SOL.

I talked to the developers of FoxFi and they say they are trying to work out a solution but tethering will not work as it did pre-JB since I guess there is some major restriction there.

If you want to have free tethering stop being lazy and just root... if you accepted the update you're probably SOL with the current methods to root.
    I am not complaining about the update or FoxFi. It would be nice to have FoxFi working again, but I KNEW it would stop working after the update. I also knew that updating the OS would mean no current root method (if not already rooted).

About rooting: I am not lazy, there are several valid reasons for not wanting to root. You probably already know what they are (including some apps that will no longer work due to DRM)... I do too. I suspect there will be another root method eventually, and I might actually take advantage of it, too

I noticed that after I upgraded Foxfi to the newer version it automatically starts Sprint HotSpot. I'll back away from that app until they fix that. Not looking to pay $20/month for 3G speeds.

It works for gingerbread but i have tmoblie but my problem is that i can get on the internet with no problem but i can't look at youtube videos anyone had or having this problem any suggestions?

Works just fine after I updated my verizon Samsung galaxy s3 ,the only thing that is different is that the wifi logo appears at the top of my screen. When I click on it, it just asks me to setup or register my wifi. I ignored it and it still works

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bproud81 View Post
    Works just fine after I updated my verizon Samsung galaxy s3
    I don't think Verizon cares anymore about tethering, since all their new plans are restricted data and any tethering counts against it. They probably left everything unlocked.

OH yes it does run on Jelly bean. I just got mine working. Using it now. I have a Galaxy S2. You need the Foxfi Full version Key 1.02 apk
    Go here and get it. FoxFi Full Version Key 1.02 apk | Andro9 then just drag and drop on your phone. Open it. Good luck http://cdn-forums.androidcentral.com...es/biggrin.png

Foxfi dosen't work with my tmo s2 running 4.0.4.....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by randod View Post
    OH yes it does run on Jelly bean. I just got mine working. Using it now. I have a Galaxy S2. You need the Foxfi Full version Key 1.02 apk
    That doesn't mean it will work on the Evo LTE, however (and it won't, unless something has recently changed; and it is still listed on their site as unsupported).

https://tether.com/
    Trial version worked for me. My phone is not rooted. Only tried USB connection.
    Dallas, TX
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DAL_MOBILE View Post
    https://tether.com/
    Trial version worked for me. My phone is not rooted. Only tried USB connection.
    Completely uninteresting to many (including me). Doesn't work with Linux. Doesn't work with any other Android device. Doesn't work with any WiFi device. Can't be used except by one client at a time. Requires additional client software. Requires carrying and using a cable. Is not on Play.

There are several other similar apps to that. None of them can do what FoxFi did.

Might finally have to Root. Not expecting another android update by the time i'm ready to buy a new phone anyway.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Umm foxfi won't work on any HTC phone period... It says so as soon as you try to use it on an htc with a super big warning box that pops up. Only Bluetooth tethering works and good luck getting that to work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast