Can't switch from Clockwork Mod to AmonRA Recovery

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
There are more and more ROMs that need AmonRA recovery to be able to get flashed.
I've used ROM manager, loaded the PC36IMG.zip using Bootloader. No matter what I do, i can't seem to get it to work. Anybody have any ideas?

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
There are more and more ROMs that need AmonRA recovery to be able to get flashed.
I've used ROM manager, loaded the PC36IMG.zip using Bootloader. No matter what I do, i can't seem to get it to work. Anybody have any ideas?

Make sure your putting it on the root of your sd card, also make sure it didn't get renamed PC36IMG.zip.zip. I'm not sure about the EVO but on the Shift your SD card has to formatted to fat32 in order for bootloader to recognize the file.

Reactions: widdlewade

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Crump! I've done exactly as you suggested, and still can't switch over. Anything else I could be missing?

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried to flash it with android terminal emulator? Its free in the market.

Download the .img from Amon_RA and put it on the sd card.

When entering the emulator you see a $ and when you type su it will change to a # key.
Here is the code to make it happen.

Code:
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img
reboot recovery

If you want to follow along with a video then here is a good one: How To Flash a Custom Recovery on Android

Reactions: widdlewade

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks SmokeCrawler!
I tried following the instructions you gave and in the video, i keep getting these errors:

mtd :erase failure at 0x00000000 (I/O error)

etc...( the above error would repeat 20 or times with different numbers)
error writing recovery: no space left on device

Should I try a wipe data/factory reset?

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I tried that too..didn't work....:(
It's telling me I flashed RA, but when I reboot into recovery, It boots into CM

Last edited:

slammurai

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I tried that too..didn't work....:(
It's telling me I flashed RA, but when I reboot into recovery, It boots into CM

Uninstall Rom Manager download the PC36IMG zip from AmonRA to the root of your sd card, reboot into recovery, it will ask if you want to update say yes and poof you will have AmonRA recovery. CM is notorious for swapping back to CM recovery, esp if you have the free version. I dont use CM just like flashing the old fashion way. If you want to really keep AmonRa stayaway from Rom Manager

BTW new quadrant score on Synergy RC2+godmode
Stock Kernel

Last edited:

robster8719

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Uninstall Rom Manager download the PC36IMG zip from AmonRA to the root of your sd card, reboot into recovery, it will ask if you want to update say yes and poof you will have AmonRA recovery. CM is notorious for swapping back to CM recovery, esp if you have the free version. I dont use CM just like flashing the old fashion way. If you want to really keep AmonRa stayaway from Rom Manager

BTW new quadrant score on Synergy RC2+godmode
Stock Kernel
thats not bad on a stock kernel

slammurai

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
when you put ra on the root of your sd card it doesnt show up that you have a update availiable when you reboot from the boot startup?

After you place the PC36IMG zip file on your sd reboot into recovery. make sure it on your sd root and not in any folder on your sd

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
After you place the PC36IMG zip file on your sd reboot into recovery. make sure it on your sd root and not in any folder on your sd

You don't want to flash a recovery.zip file from within another recovery. Download PC36IMG.zip and place on root of the sd card.

Make sure its saved as a zip file. Sometimes it can be saved as just a "file" or even zip.zip if you are not careful. *This has to be on the root of the sd card.*

Reboot into Hboot and wait for it to unzip and run the recovery zip.

Vol. up to run update and then vol down to go back to hboot and select recovery. You should now have Amon2.3 recovery.

MEZOCLONE

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have always used clockwork but I wanna switch to RA to partition the sd card! Is it ok to switch using rom manager while running kingdom-supercharge3D?