AOSP, Kernals, and battery life

boweveljoe

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I am fairly new to this scene.

I recently got an EVO and decided I hated Sense so I went looking for a stock ROM. Light and fast. I have tried Cyanogenmod7 and Salvage Mod. The thing is, the battery life I am getting with these ROMs is awful. Cyanogen I was losing 20% an hour with the screen off, the phone untouched. Salvage Mod, I am down to 85% in an hour and a half.

I have read about kernals and how they can help with battery life, speed up performance, etc. What are some that I should look into using and how do I go about applying them? Is there a failsafe if its a bad flash?

Also since Sense feels so slow and bloated (to me at least) what are some other good AOSP ROM's out there? That have a little more to it but is not loaded down with unnecessary tools I will never use.

boweveljoe

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thats where I found the ROMs. Now just need to figure out Kernals, other ROMs that work well, and how to apply Mods like Viper, V6, and kernals.

Thanks for the links though! :)

moritzes

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to root on Evo (tho had root on Nexus One for a while).
Using CM7, Tiamat_Evo-v4.0.6-sbc kernel.
Native CM underclocking max to 768MHz.
Vipermod undervolting by 50.

Getting very good battery life (hammering it today with Twitter b/c it's Premier League transfer deadline day and will still get 20 hours). I don't play games much, but have gmail and exchange on push, use the web a bunch (esp. Google reader rss feeds), and of course twitter. Turn screen down to about 20 when it's not bright out. Important: keep track of WiFi and make sure you don't leave it on when you are away from your network. I know there are apps to do this based on location, but I just do it manually.

As for how to install, I just use recovery and flash from zip file on card. Nandroid backup first. Google instructions for Tiamet kernel, vipermod, etc. Not hard to find and generally spelled out step-by-step.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
That's because your phone is not charging to 100% on AOSP roms and sense roms too but the percentage is adjusted in sense roms to trick you.

In simple terms
It doesn't charge to 100% because that's not how lithium batteries charge, they bump charge. Meaning the power hovers from 85-95%. So, don't trust those first 15% point when it comes to battery life.

You can use a superior battery charging kernel (SBC) to charge to 100%.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk