Sprint can't activate rooted EVO

bbarend

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My wife broke her Galaxy SII. While we are waiting on parts, we were going to reactivate her EVO 4G. I had been playing with the phone. Flashing ICS and the like. We took it into Sprint to be reactivated. I had since flashed back to Stock Rooted. They cannot activate it. They tried for hours and it wouldn't take the code they had to put into it. They of course say it's because it's rooted. Of course they would have been clueless without me telling them.

Anybody have any ideas how root would cause this problem? It isn't a concern really. The wife just has to use a dumb phone for a week. I'm just more curious than anything.

airchecknews

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I believe the phone needs a Sense ROM on it for activation. I gave my old Evo 4G, running CM7, to my daughter to use and she ran into the same problem. I loaded a rooted stock ROM on the phone and it activated just fine. Not sure the reason, but I found that info elsewhere and it worked. I just downloaded the rooted stock ROM through ROM Manager and it worked like a champ. I don't think it's a problem with root per-se, just with the ROM itself. Her phone activated fine, even with root, once it was loaded with the Sense ROM.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Man, I thought I had bricked mine sometime back and found out the battery had just died. :p Anyway, I activated an old flip phone I had laying around until I could figure out what happened. After it charged back up I called Sprint and had them reactivate my rooted EVO. I put everything back as stock as possible without loosing root. They had no issues reactivating it. Make sure your using an actual stock ROM that the Sprint servers can see. Also make sure your WiMAX RSA Keys are still present by using the app I've linked below. When we went to activate over the phone I had to punch in some code on the dialer that rep was telling to me. Everything went just fine, sounds like got hold of a newb rep.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.joeykrim.wimaxkeys

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah before the LG optimus s got gingerbread update I was running cm7 and could not activate. Im sure its because I was running 2.3 on a 2.2 phone. I flashed a 2.2 rom and activated with NO issue

bbarend

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I flashed back to the stock rooted ROM and it was still a no go. It was full blown Sense with Sprint bloat on it. They wouldn't have know it was rooted unless I told them.

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thats the problem all users will run into when activating it or changing numbers. Happened to me. I changed my number twice, so i had to switch out to a sense based rom to update the some of the settings.

carhauler1969

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
If the ROM you're running has the EPST programming menu disabled or removed for whatever reason you cannot activate the phone. Being rooted has absolutely nothing to do with it. Also, if the MSID gets corrupted somehow you won't be able to activate it. A friend of mine had the latter happen when switching service from his rooted EVO to his also rooted EVO 3D, MSID got corrupted & after a couple of hours arguing with Sprint they issued him a new MSID & he was able to activate the phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

cajunlibra

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
So, to be clear. If I get a brand new phone and root it first(Stock), we will have no issues activating it?

I ask because my partner just got a brand new Galaxy S3 and I want to root it for him, preferably before I see him in a week. I know I'm talking about a different phone but I figure the root/activate concern would be universal.

Thanks