phone swap after rooting?

skippyrulzzz

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
hey everyone!
loving the evo, but i think mine just developed a hardware defect. the usb port isn't working to charge or connect the phone to the pc. well, i guess i should say it will work, but i have to plug and unplug it 6-10 times before it will. i've tried the included charger/usb cable, another usb cable plugged into two pcs, and my (brand new) car charger.

my question is can (or will) sprint check and see that i've rooted? and if so, can they deny me a new phone because of it? i know with the nexus one, there were reports that for hardware problems, htc would replace it, even with an unlocked bootloader.

i would return to the stock ruu over at xda before taking it to sprint, but the ruu won't find the phone, as the pc doesn't see it. so if they know what to look for, and look for it, am i screwed?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
RUU:
Run this on a pc with your phone connected. Make sure you get a good connection without disconnecting the phone (I wouldn't touch it) while it does its thing.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
RUU:
Run this on a pc with your phone connected. Make sure you get a good connection without disconnecting the phone (I wouldn't touch it) while it does its thing.

rufflez is right. Even after doing this though if you used the toast rooting method your device name will be wrong. It will still show pc36100. I don't know how to change that back but no way would Sprint ever catch that so don't worry about it, was more of an FYI.

skippyrulzzz

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
RUU:

i would return to the stock ruu over at xda before taking it to sprint, but the ruu won't find the phone, as the pc doesn't see it. so if they know what to look for, and look for it, am i screwed?

as i said above... can't run the RUU if the pc doesn't see the phone. believe me, i've tried it. just gives me an error that there's no phone connected.

i also realized after my original post is that even once i DO get the orange charge light to come on, the battery indicator doesn't show as charging.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Sorry skippy, I think rufflez and I both missed the part where you acknowledged the ruu but said your pc won't find the phone.

Well I mean what can you do? If you can't connect to a pc you can't run an exe nor go into recovery to flash a Rom. Sounds like you have 1 option .... let the phone die then go to Sprint so they can't turn it on lol ;-)

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
hehe... then you're SOL for getting it back to stock. You can try to return it and swap it out and see what they will do.

P.S. didn't read that last line, sorry.

skippyrulzzz

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
ugh. i'm actually headed out right now, but i'm gonna mess with it some more when i get home. if nothing works, i'll wipe the data before it dies and take it to sprint in the morning.

milk242

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
rufflez is right. Even after doing this though if you used the toast rooting method your device name will be wrong. It will still show pc36100. I don't know how to change that back but no way would Sprint ever catch that so don't worry about it, was more of an FYI.

What will be the device name? What was the original name?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
What will be the device name? What was the original name?

1) PC36100
2) I dunno ... I've had 4 or 5 different roms loaded now :)

Someone with a stock EVO can go to settings>about phone>phone identity - Model #

I'm willing to bet it was something like Sprint EVO4G. It's really no biggie, you would never have known if i didn't tell you.