[How To] Unroot and return to stock [RUU Method]

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
did you uninstal the htc sync program.

i don't get a percentage. i just execute the program and let her fly.

what version are you trying to install?

smcquay

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
The RUU's are only downloading 10-15.2 MB, then they say they're done. Obviously, they're not, so they don't work. I've tried several of the RUU's listed.... Any where else I can get one?

Ky1e.YC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Quick question. before I turn S-On or anything, does it matter which ROM i'm using now? I mean, do I have to flash some sense ROM if I'm using CM7 ROM currently?

hank1199

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
at 75% i get the error 110 unable to open file "file open error"

Can somebody help?

You have to make sure that the RUU is compatible with the hboot driver (this is the driver that you downloaded and installed from unrevoked.com prior to rooting your phone with unrevoked 3 or forever). I had the same issue when using a much earlier RUU (stock rom). Download latest stock rom from the RUU link (found in the first page of this thread) and then the latest hboot driver from unrevoked.com. That should remedy the issue. Dont panic!

did you uninstal the htc sync program.

i don't get a percentage. i just execute the program and let her fly.

what version are you trying to install?

I remedy the issue in regards to the 110 error. Thank You!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Try downloading with a different browser, like firefox, or chrome if youre using IE. The RUU wont run properly if its a bad download :p

No, you can be on a any (or no) rom and this will get you back to stock because what it does it erases or phone and reinstalls the stock firmware.

born2ride41

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
HELP!!!

I need to unroot so i can take my evo in for a blown speaker ( the Second time) and i cant get past the error about the no usb detected. i tried it like ten time in a row and no go. i do what the instructions say with my phone plugged in and with debugging on i turn it off and reboot to the skating androids and no go....any help or suggestions would be appreciated thanks:cool:

tlcfotog

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I need to unroot, primarily because the rooting I did either didn't take properly or it messed up something along the way... apparently my Contacts file is now 85mb in size, and my Google Sync won't run (I keep my calendar and contacts in Google).

I started the download (now 8 times) with Shipped ROMS and it stops at some point along the way each time, well before it is done... sometimes at 168K and others at 2, 3, 7mb, etc. So, don't know what's up with that. I can't even start the RUU process because I can't get the file.

Maybe this is the Android angels telling me that the solution is simpler than unrooting?

Tony

pujols74

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
HELP!!!!! apparently i didnt back up correctly when i rooted my evo. I need it back to stock fast so i can take it to sprint!! please help!!

blanco87rsb

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Still new at this

I downloaded the RUU on both windows 7 and they both gave me the same error when trying to run it.It stated that it is not a valid win32 application.Please help.

markob83

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Rookie mistake

I was struggling all morning with trying to do this. I kept getting the error message missing ruu file or incomplete ruu. I finally read the instructions thoroughly and found that I have to insert the rom.zip or p36cimg into the same folder as the ruu. I ran the ruu and now works like a champ. I hope this helps others.

Here's the link that helped me
[ROM FILES] Official RUU Android 2.2 FROYO - Build 3.26.651.6 [and RUU app] - xda-developers

One more thing. After inserting the rom into the ruu folder I ran the ruu and it seemed to be hung up on the sending part. I waited like 15 mins and finally pulled the usb and started over, had a smoke, and had a big smile on my face as a saw my phone boot up.

born2ride41

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Ruu worked

the steps in his description are correct with one exception. when u boot to the bootloader you have to select fastboot and then this will turn into fastboot usb. u will hear the sound when go to the fastboot like u do when u plug your phone into the computer. also if u are having problems search unrooting the evo 4g on you tube thats where i finally found the right information to get it done. now i am off to sprint to get the speaker replaced for the second time. have a good day all

The Fan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Error message when running the RUU.exe

I'm in dire need of "unrooting" my phone before I can ship it back to Sprint. I'm following the instructions to a T, but every time I try to run the RUU.exe file, I get an error message that asks if I'd like to report the problem.

There's got to be an easier way. I don't understand why I can't just do a factory reset.

Thanks everyone,

The Fan

TheTolsonator

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I read the main post, and don't have the time (I'm sorry) to search through all the pages of this thread but I saw there was a chance of never being able to root again after pulling this off...What are the odds that it would permanently be unrootable?

I'm asking because I'm buying an Evo off a friend of mine who has it rooted already and I would like to do the process myself without having to get the phone replaced (he has a very nice screen protector on it I'd prefer not to lose)

ProCision

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm in dire need of "unrooting" my phone before I can ship it back to Sprint. I'm following the instructions to a T, but every time I try to run the RUU.exe file, I get an error message that asks if I'd like to report the problem.

There's got to be an easier way. I don't understand why I can't just do a factory reset.

Thanks everyone,

The Fan

The web site shipped-roms is not running right, the reason so many are getting errors is that the files are not downloading all the way. I had to try about 15 times to download a rom from there. It would download 10% and then stop then try again and download 3% finnally after 15 tries I got a complete file.

So watch the download. If the file you are downloading is 209mb make sure it is 209mb before you try it.

ProCision

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I read the main post, and don't have the time (I'm sorry) to search through all the pages of this thread but I saw there was a chance of never being able to root again after pulling this off...What are the odds that it would permanently be unrootable?

I'm asking because I'm buying an Evo off a friend of mine who has it rooted already and I would like to do the process myself without having to get the phone replaced (he has a very nice screen protector on it I'd prefer not to lose)

why would you unroot to reroot? just wipe and log in with your gmail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo