[How To] Unroot and return to stock [RUU Method]

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
find the official RUU for 2.2. my guess is they will wanna do this to your phone anyway.

and yes -- you can just do a copy and paste job, but i believe beezy pointed out that nand back ups won't directly work until you change the serial numbers on your saved backups.

thatwilsonguy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
hmmm, good to know, I will have to worry about my nand when I figure out what Sprint is going to do with my phone.

I have the screen spot over the processor and everal other smaller ones all over the screen. I never even OC'd.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
hmmm, good to know, I will have to worry about my nand when I figure out what Sprint is going to do with my phone.

I have the screen spot over the processor and everal other smaller ones all over the screen. I never even OC'd.

my phone can reach 125 degrees in my truck so i believe ya brother. hopefully it will be an easy switch. it didn't sound too bad when beezy mentioned it.

add309

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
what am i supposed to do when htc sync wont connect to my evo? i have been gettting the usb error from this proccess ALL DAY! literally 50 times in a row...

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
what am i supposed to do when htc sync wont connect to my evo? i have been gettting the usb error from this proccess ALL DAY! literally 50 times in a row...

What rom or version do you have flashed right now? Make sure you are using the correct RUU...like it's been recommended previously flash a 1.32 RvU rom first or a stock older rom and then use the proper RUU.

add309

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
What rom or version do you have flashed right now? Make sure you are using the correct RUU...like it's been recommended previously flash a 1.32 RvU rom first or a stock older rom and then use the proper RUU.

any possible link? that sounds like its most likely the problem, i really have no clue what im doing lol... i really shoulda been smarter about all this

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
i really have no clue what im doing lol...

yes, yes you should should have. If your not going to take the time to read and research, than it makes us trying to help a waste of time. I'm going to go on a whim and guess that you rooted with Unrevoked or some other one click and didn't pay attention then either.

Search the forums for RvU and you'll find it.

Uninstall whatever htc sync you have now and re-install via link provided.

you should not be doing anything with sync anyways. its for the drivers.

make sure your phone is in usb debugging.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Just a observation. I was playing around with ROM manager and decided to download and flash the latest joeyKrim 1.47 stock rooted ROM. As soon as the phone booted up I got a message that a newer version of Android was available would I like to download. I said yes and let it download and sure enough there it is, the latest .6 stock 2.2.
Seems to me that's a faster and less painful way to go back to stock before going to the service center. And if I remember correctly the free version of ROM manager allows you to download and install most of the latest JoeyKrim ROMS. So it seems to be a very easy way to go back to stock. Am I missing something here or is it a situation of someone spending so much time in the command prompt, that a simple solution is never even a consideration? I could be wrong but if I am, can someone explain why?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just a observation. I was playing around with ROM manager and decided to download and flash the latest joeyKrim 1.47 stock rooted ROM. As soon as the phone booted up I got a message that a newer version of Android was available would I like to download. I said yes and let it download and sure enough there it is, the latest .6 stock 2.2.
Seems to me that's a faster and less painful way to go back to stock before going to the service center. And if I remember correctly the free version of ROM manager allows you to download and install most of the latest JoeyKrim ROMS. So it seems to be a very easy way to go back to stock. Am I missing something here or is it a situation of someone spending so much time in the command prompt, that a simple solution is never even a consideration? I could be wrong but if I am, can someone explain why?

Consider that this was a lucky situation. Often people who try to install official updates when get all sorts of errors upon reboot.

Generally speaking i dont want to tell people to go that route, since the ruu method if done correctly, will always work.

egravel

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Having problems running RUU

In short, when I try to run RUU_Supersonic_1.47.651.1_Radio_2.05.00.06.10_release_CL195459.exe I get some USB Connection Error (150). I tried running it 4-5 times and I've made sure the cable is well connected. HTC sync did run.

For more details, I ran one of the OTA updates so that I could then run latest Unrevoked3 to unlock Froyo update. Turns out the update wasn't Froyo but one of the update released before it. I some stuff flash by in unrevoked about taking note and stuff and then the phone bootloader went briefly into another menu wish I assume must of been clockwork. Unrevoked said it had gotten root and that it was done. Phone shows up at 2.1 and does have root. However, the Froyo OTA update doesn't work. When it tries to install, it display that exclaimation mark within white triangle. I search and came across this post and thought I'd unroot and return to stock 2.1 and try the update once again and then unrevoke once I'm on 2.2. But I get this USB connection problem now.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

ajk511

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
In short, when I try to run RUU_Supersonic_1.47.651.1_Radio_2.05.00.06.10_release_CL195459.exe I get some USB Connection Error (150). I tried running it 4-5 times and I've made sure the cable is well connected. HTC sync did run.

For more details, I ran one of the OTA updates so that I could then run latest Unrevoked3 to unlock Froyo update. Turns out the update wasn't Froyo but one of the update released before it. I some stuff flash by in unrevoked about taking note and stuff and then the phone bootloader went briefly into another menu wish I assume must of been clockwork. Unrevoked said it had gotten root and that it was done. Phone shows up at 2.1 and does have root. However, the Froyo OTA update doesn't work. When it tries to install, it display that exclaimation mark within white triangle. I search and came across this post and thought I'd unroot and return to stock 2.1 and try the update once again and then unrevoke once I'm on 2.2. But I get this USB connection problem now.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

same here, been trying to fix 4g. finally decided unroot and go to sprint and I keep getting the usb error. been sitting here for 45 mins just running the RUU over and over like the OP said. nothing.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Try flashing the RvU ROM,

if you search for it you'll find it, its a 2.1 rom. Then try running the original RUU.

You'll need to update back up to 2.1 with OTA and then the 2.2 update.

Last edited:

ajk511

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Try flashing the RvU ROM,

if you search for it you'll find it, its a 2.1 rom. Then try flashing the original RUU.

You'll need to update back up to 2.1 with OTA and then the Patch.

at this point I cant flash anything. I flashed the PC36IMG from this thread over at XDA How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers flashed it through recovery and then flashed the su-2.1 zip file though clockwork recovery. this got me to 2.1 rooted, still no wimax. Did the OTA update to 2.2, left me unrooted at 2.2 still without wimax. For some reason I thought it would then be a good idea to use unrevoked to root the phone again so I could check my RSA keys...cant even figure out how to get into the stuff i need to in CMD prompt to check them so I gave up and flashed Ava's newest rom. ran that for a few days and decided to try and go back to as stock looking as possible to see if I could swap my phone out at sprint. flashed the same PC36IMG file as above using recovery again. this time I am stuck on 2.1, downloaded the OTA 2.2 update and when it goes to install I end up at clockwork recovery (a really old version of it BTW) and it gives me an error. From there if I reboot it gets stuck in a boot loop. Battery pull and go back into Hboot then recovery and try and flash a rom and it aborts install. The only way I can get the phone back is to let Hboot run the PC36IMG again. So now I am stuck on 2.1, dont know if I am fully rooted or not.. still have s-off in Hboot. Just trying anything I can to get this as stock looking as possible before going into sprint. Haha, been flashing roms and kernels foever with no issues until i flashed Ava's rom on sunday and lost 4g, guess I screwed up big.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, you followed the instructions above exactly right? Your running the ruu while in recovery mode, and usb debugging was on? I can't think of anything if you can't even get into recovery....

It might be failing because of signature verification...

Try taking the newest stock immage, and letting that install in the hboot. See if that can at least get you into your evo.

ajk511

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, you followed the instructions above exactly right? Your running the ruu while in recovery mode, and usb debugging was on? I can't think of anything if you can't even get into recovery....

It might be failing because of signature verification...

Try taking the newest stock immage, and letting that install in the hboot. See if that can at least get you into your evo.

Did that last night. got back into my evo. Still cant get past the USB error running this RUU. I renamed it to PC36IMG and let Hboot run it. returned me to stock but I still have S-off in Hboot, and I figure if a sprint rep is going to check anything its going to be for s-off in Hboot.