[How To] Unroot and return to stock [RUU Method]

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've tried this about 15 times....get the usb error every time...I'm at 1.47, using the 1.47 RUU...my HBOOT is .79. What am I doing wrong...I have to return this in about an hour and I can not get it to work at all! I did a wipe...where do I need to be for this to work?

I can get the 1.32 RUU's to connect, but error out when updating signature with Bootloader Error.

Did you install the drivers i h ave listed above??

Did you run the phone in the boot loader? I found this to be extremely helpful. If that doesn't work, flash a 2.1 pre OTA rom, such as one of the first RvU's. Give that a go.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
If you talking about HTC sync...yeah I installed that. What version is it suppose to be...cause mine is the newest...2.0.33. I just reinstalled it...we'll give it another go. But I don't think I'll be able to Flash another room, because some how in my frenzy of trying to get it figured out I updated the HBOOT to .79 and I think I have to have .76 to flash a rom. lets see. And yes, sorry I'm starting from Bootloader...

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you liquid! Flashing back to RvU's 1.3.2 worked just how your OP described! That was weird...it was as if there was something in 1.47 rooted stock rom that wouldn't connect to the 1.47 RUU. But even weirder, when I ran the 1.47 RUU the first time it says I had RvU's rom installed...then when I restarted 6-8 after an error... and it said I had 1.47 going to 1.47. CRAZY! But got it to work, and after all of that they never once looked at the phone!! I wanted to scream...LOOK, LOOK at the phone...its completely STOCK! :D Thanks again liquid!

kkumar99

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
sorry for the noob question, but I have tried searching the forums without any good results...if I root with unrevoked3 only for the wireless tethering option and DON'T change any ROM's etc, do I need to un-root before an OTA. If yes, is there a simple way to un-root from unrevoked3 without wiping the phone (my understanding is that RUU wipes the phone)?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
sorry for the noob question, but I have tried searching the forums without any good results...if I root with unrevoked3 only for the wireless tethering option and DON'T change any ROM's etc, do I need to un-root before an OTA. If yes, is there a simple way to un-root from unrevoked3 without wiping the phone (my understanding is that RUU wipes the phone)?

If all you want to do is apply an OTA, wait for the rooted version to come out. You wont have to unroot at all, and you can back up your apps and data to be restored later.

SilverZero

May 21, 2010
Visit site
So I've flashed a few different ROMs now, and I want to go back to un-rooted stock 1.32.651.6 (just the Day 2 SD card OTA). I'll never flash a stock 1.47 ROM that's not rooted. The reason I want to do this is basically so I can re-root for educational purposes.

If I flash the .6 RUU linked in the OP, will I be able to start over as it came out of the box and then full-root again?

Also, what does this do to the recovery partition (e.g. Clockwork when you boot with volume-down)? Does that still exist after unrooting?

Last edited:

HENDAWG

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Henry here, Android Newb, need some serious help. Currently have HBOOT-079.000, but I am trying to get back to HBOOT-0.76.2000. I have tried the steps in this post to go back to RUU 132.651.6 of 5 Jun 10, but when I do as implied in the beginning of the steps in this thread, I get the following error:

Error [140] USB BOOTLOADER VERSION ERROR
The ROM Update Utility cannot update your android phone
Please get the correct ROM Update Utility and try again.

If someone could please help me, it would be greatly appreciated. If you are willing to help via phone call, that would be even better, will provide my home number via a PM.

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Henry here, Android Newb, need some serious help. Currently have HBOOT-079.000, but I am trying to get back to HBOOT-0.76.2000. I have tried the steps in this post to go back to RUU 132.651.6 of 5 Jun 10, but when I do as implied in the beginning of the steps in this thread, I get the following error:

Error [140] USB BOOTLOADER VERSION ERROR
The ROM Update Utility cannot update your android phone
Please get the correct ROM Update Utility and try again.

If someone could please help me, it would be greatly appreciated. If you are willing to help via phone call, that would be even better, will provide my home number via a PM.

its stated above that that is an issue, and you may need to run the ruu several times. Follow the steps thoroughly and let me know where you get.

HENDAWG

May 20, 2010
Visit site
its stated above that that is an issue, and you may need to run the ruu several times. Follow the steps thoroughly and let me know where you get.

LJ, I've followed those instructions to "T", and it's not working for me, I ran the RUU 8 times to be exact, maybe I'm not wording what I'm trying to do correctly (as I am new to Android and this whole rooting stuff, terminology is still a learning curve for me right now)

Yesterday my Boot Screen (one with the 3 lil droids at the bottom) was as follow:

Supersonic EVTZ-3 ENG S-OFF
HBOOT-0.76.2000 (PC 3610000)
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-1.36.00.04.02
MAR 30 2010, 11:24:04

As of the moment, it is as follows:

Supersonic EVTZ-3 ENG S-OFF
HBOOT-0.79.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.05.00.06.10
APR 14 2010, 15:41:34

Would very much like to return it to HBOOT 0.76.2000 to do the following Root (How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers)

:confused:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
hmmm, interesting... ok, try this, flash one of the frst RvU roms. Then run the first RUU. That seems to work best from what i can tell. There is another method floating around if you just need the eng boot loader.

cbowen2112

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Error [140] Bootloader error comes up when ever I try this...any pointers?

I tried this many times as said in the directions....how do I know if I am running the correct RUU?

Last edited: