question about ROM Manager

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Please excuse this noob question,

So I've flashed my fair share of ROMs, and I know about the NAND backups that can be done with ROM manager which I always do before I flash a new rom... that said I have a couple of questions about ROM manager.

First and foremost, whenever I usually flash ROMs I log into recovery manually via shutting the phone down then restarting it with while holding the volume button.. I've never actually installed a ROM via ROM manager, what is the difference doing it through ROM manager as opposed the regular old fashioned way? Does it automatically wipe cache and data? or does it just do the exact same thing as manually holding the vol button down and restarting?

Also, when I backup a ROM, lets say I want to go back to a previous back up, is it literally going to take my phone back to the EXACT state of where I backed up? I.E. all settings/app data/contacts/etc are all exactly what they were at the time of back up. Essentially it is like going back in time?

Partly related to the above question about back ups, is that how you guys use ROM manager to switch between ROMs so fast? Just setup a rom etc, back it up, then test out new ones always being able to go back to a state you previously knew and loved?

Thanks!

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've never actually installed a ROM via ROM manager, what is the difference doing it through ROM manager as opposed the regular old fashioned way? Does it automatically wipe cache and data? or does it just do the exact same thing as manually holding the vol button down and restarting? Yes it gives you the option to Wipe and Backup if you haven't already!

Also, when I backup a ROM, lets say I want to go back to a previous back up, is it literally going to take my phone back to the EXACT state of where I backed up? I.E. all settings/app data/contacts/etc are all exactly what they were at the time of back up. Essentially it is like going back in time? Yes! Flash the Rom, Use Titanium to Restore Apps, and Backup Rom with Nandroid. Then you can switch between Roms with all your current settings, etc. Back in time 4sure.