Which S5e ROM is currently most stable for daily use and casting? (late 2023)

King Mustard

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (SM-T720 (Wi-Fi model)) tablet and it's rather slow, likely due to the mid-range Snapdragon 670 SoC from 2018 that is inside the device.

I find even rotating the device takes a while.

I was considering a custom ROM, in hopes of speeding the tablet up.

I mainly use the tablet for casting videos to a Chromecast, though I also do general Web browsing on it. Nothing too taxing.

Do you have a suggested ROM that is stable for daily use?

Exhar Khun

Dec 29, 2023
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (SM-T720 (Wi-Fi model)) tablet and it's rather slow, likely due to the mid-range Snapdragon 670 SoC from 2018 that is inside the device.

I find even rotating the device takes a while.

I was considering a custom ROM, in hopes of speeding the tablet up.

I mainly use the tablet for casting videos to a Chromecast, though I also do general Web browsing on it. Nothing too taxing.

Do you have a suggested ROM that is stable for daily use?

I also have a SM-T720 Wi-Fi and had the same slowness issues you also encounter, and a lot of it is because of all of the crap Samsung puts on the tablet.

I was always planning to go the custom ROM route but I kept putting it off because somehow I expected Samsung to be a bit of a hassle to unlock. Luckily that wasn't the case at all.

It seems there isn't much left that's being actively maintained. I've been brooding on CrDroid for a while but it has been End-Of-Lifed before I had the chance. My personal rule is that I don't go with Customized Custom Roms when they are already EOL.

(I don't mind EOL LineageOS as much because there aren't any customizations to maintain and they mostly leave it in a pretty good state when it's finally EOL'd.)

In this case LineageOS is still being actively maintained for the SM-T720 so I went with that last week (23-12-2023). The installation guide is top-notch, stability is absolutely rock solid and the tablet is performing very well. It'll never be the fasted tablet but it performs noticeably better.

Battery life is way better, there isn't any "seepage" anymore when not in use (even though I disabled most of the Samsung crap). 70% battery today is still 70% battery in 2 days time. Intensive tasks like watching long videos still use about the same amount, but that's only natural.

My only problem is with the audio over the speakers. This is excellent in the stock configuration. In LineageOS it's horrible (about the same as a normal cheap tablet). ViPER 4 Android alleviates this a lot (especially the Convolver option) but I know next to nothing about it so everything I do is trial and error.

So I'm reasonably happy with LineageOS, and it provides a good first step in unlocking the tablet but do mind that I came across your post when I was looking around to see if something better had popped up. I won't go back to stock but the speaker situation does irritate me.

This is a bit long but hopefully my thoughts help. If you have since found something better I'd love to hear it. Whishing you the very best.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29