Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
My ideal ROM would have:

- Sense
- HTC Sync
- Wireless tether
- 4G
- Wireless hotspot (would be nice)
- extended battery life and faster response (goes without saying?)

I could care less about the frame cap limit.

The AC ROM claims to have everything + Wireless tether. Is that the best match? Can I add the hot spot to that one?

Thanks.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Any rom, Sense or Nonsense should have everything working including 4G and HDMI since they all use the htc base . AOSP like CM wont since it has nothing to do with htc at all in any way shape or form. All roms will now have the fps cap unlocked since it was officially uncapped through htc. So all of your qualifications are met by practically every rom. What differentiates roms? How stable they are, if they have any extras, performance tweaks, stuff like that. I'd say try out AC 2.7. I don't use it, but I've tried it and it's GREAT. The other great thing about using the AC rom is well, it's AC's rom. So you'll always have top notch support if you ever have any issues. But it's extremely stable, everything works perfect, and looks good. Then there's Myn's. Another Sense rom, but with tons of visual changes. If you want Nonsense, imo, nothing beats VaelPak. Especially after testing out a new feature coming out soon (smh). I'd say start with AC Rom, you seriously can't go wrong with it. Do a Nandroid backup after you get yourself all set up with AC, then try flashing some other ones if you're still curious.

Reactions: mmhhc

mmhhc

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Jerzy! I was not thinking about the support part, great advice. I've seen lots of excitement about Myn's as well. AC -> Myn's looks like a good path to me.

Now I just have to get over my fear of getting lost while rooting. I stayed on 2.1 which should make life easy. I'll probably just go the Simpleroot route.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
No prob! Don't forget, after you flash AC and get it all working good, do a Nandroid backup. This way if anything crazy ever happens, you can just restore it and be back to normal. Myn's is a great rom too. Some people love the visuals, some people hate it. I like it personally.

willy900wonka

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Fresh's for a while. His work for the hero provided a stable base at the time. I still use it on my hero.
My evo has been stable as well with his 3.4.0.1 rom. I use Kings 11 - bfs now, but had been using Kings havs11. Both of which offer faster response while using less battery.
I concur that support is important. Fresh has a wedding coming so he is a stretched, but still is timely in his support.
Kings kernels made a huge difference at the time of their introduction. Netarchy retailored his to contain the concepts kingx brought from his nexus kernels.
AVA has great support for hulu and Caulculins is very good with his sms stuff. The best advice is as was stated, nandroid, nandroid, nandroid. Nandroid your version after rooting.
I use Ra's recovery - 1.8 though I hear a new one is about to be released for the evo. Clockwork had a wipe issue which set me back a full day's work and caused the phone be to re-root using the enginering spl (prior to S-off )- no recomendation there, use with caution.
Before I digress any more, read the threads from each rom developer, and keep your options open.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
+1 to start with AC ROM. It's rock solid. I've been using it for over a week now with absolutely no problems.

As for everything else just go with what jerzy said.

Disgustoid

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Jerzy! I was not thinking about the support part, great advice. I've seen lots of excitement about Myn's as well. AC -> Myn's looks like a good path to me.

Now I just have to get over my fear of getting lost while rooting. I stayed on 2.1 which should make life easy. I'll probably just go the Simpleroot route.

I rooted my EVO for the first time this weekend after watching literally half a dozen YouTube videos (including the one in Jerzyiroc's sig) and reading a slew of threads in this forum on how to do so. Somehow I still managed to run into a minor issue that didn't come up in any of the videos (got a big red triangle with an exclamation point in it, which nearly gave me a heart attack thinking I had bricked my phone). As long as you have a decent grip on the process and the terminology, you should be fine.

I'm currently using Myn's and briefly tried Baked Snack 1.8 to test ROM Manager's backup and restore capabilities (which worked flawlessly and easily, BTW). I love Myn's eye candy, personally, but as others have pointed out it might be an acquired taste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89