Boomer phone

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I read thru a lot of replies in here and I find them interesting on topics such as battery life and too much trouble to flip open to do what is needed with the new ZFlip 3.

It reminds me of when I was at the Best Buy counter ordering my Flip and two young men in their 20s were salivating over the Fold3 beside me. They were saying things like 'look at the hues and tones of this color and the saturations of this and that'. And I'm over here like...'look, mine folds in half and you don't even know it's there'.

They had no problems lugging that behemoth of a phone around because they got wood over the colors and hues and saturations.

And one of my younger coworkers laughed and called me a 'boomer' when I flipped mine shut in the lounge and put it in my pocket as she social media'd on her big ole iPhone 237, or whatever the current version is.

In my 30's I'd built computers. For fun. Neon fans and light bars and all that. But now, I'm like 'this desktop works. I'll take it'.

So typically, as we age, we adjust our lifestyles to a simpler life. Less maintenance, etc. We step over some things that once might have been up on our priority list and just move on ahead. It's normal progress. We should stay active, and personally, I do.
But at the same time, we learn the value of 'pick your battles'.

I said all of this to say that I'm finding it interesting to read how some things are vital to someone's cellphone life, like battery life and not wanting to flip open a phone that was designed to ..flip open. And actually, although it might not make sense to me, it's still really cool that some people want their cellphones to perform to certain standards.

Me?
Ima put my new flip in my pocket. If it vibrates or beeps or farts, I'll take it out and look on the screen. If it's important, I'll flip it open and reply. If it's not I'll scroll right and skip to the next song on my Amazon 'best gym tunz' and keep on with my workout. I'll make several texts a day. I'll google just which is the best Polaroid camera with instant pictures printed out for my granddaughter's birthday party in the year 2021. I'll map the distance from home to the next vacation spot and tell it to start the route. I'll add 'Kobalt battery powered shop vac' to my gift list I keep so my kids don't have to struggle to find things for me on my birthday or Christmas. I'll reorder my favorite Starbucks from Amazon. I move money, check the family calendar, turn on the Alexas and control the pool lights in the back yard. I'll watch the trailer for the upcoming Matrix..several times.

If not used, it folds up and goes completely unnoticed in my pants pocket.
I no longer HAVE to give it attention and move it around because it scrunches up in my pants pocket and reminds me that it needs tending to.

And when it runs low, I'll put my phone on a charger somewhere. If for some reason it runs down and shuts off then I'll put it on a charger when I get to one.

After all, as a boomer, I remember the freedom to not be connected, and thereby not be responsible,
every second of my life. And nobody died because they couldn't find me.

Just some thoughts on how the simplicity of this phone is fitting in my life nicely..
as a boomer.

Oh, and also, occasionally,
I'll make a real phone call to see how my friend Ronnie is doing.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I read thru a lot of replies in here and I find them interesting on topics such as battery life and too much trouble to flip open to do what is needed with the new ZFlip 3.

It reminds me of when I was at the Best Buy counter ordering my Flip and two young men in their 20s were salivating over the Fold3 beside me. They were saying things like 'look at the hues and tones of this color and the saturations of this and that'. And I'm over here like...'look, mine folds in half and you don't even know it's there'.

They had no problems lugging that behemoth of a phone around because they got wood over the colors and hues and saturations.

And one of my younger coworkers laughed and called me a 'boomer' when I flipped mine shut in the lounge and put it in my pocket as she social media'd on her big ole iPhone 237, or whatever the current version is.

In my 30's I'd built computers. For fun. Neon fans and light bars and all that. But now, I'm like 'this desktop works. I'll take it'.

So typically, as we age, we adjust our lifestyles to a simpler life. Less maintenance, etc. We step over some things that once might have been up on our priority list and just move on ahead. It's normal progress. We should stay active, and personally, I do.

I said all of this to say that I'm finding it interesting to read how some things are vital to someone's cellphone life, like battery life and not wanting to flip open a phone that was designed to ..flip open. And actually, although it might not make sense to me, it's still really cool that some people want their cellphones to perform to certain standards.

Me?
Ima put my new flip in my pocket. If it vibrates or beeps or farts, I'll take it out and look on the screen. If it's important, I'll flip it open and reply. If it's not I'll scroll right and skip to the next song on my Amazon 'best gym tunz' and keep on with my workout. I'll make several texts a day. I'll google just which is the best Polaroid camera with instant pictures printed out for my granddaughter's birthday party in the year 2021. I'll map the distance from home to the next vacation spot and tell it to start the route. I'll add 'Kobalt battery powered shop vac' to my gift list I keep so my kids don't have to struggle to find things for me on my birthday or Christmas. I'll reorder my favorite Starbucks from Amazon. I move money, check the family calendar, turn on the Alexas and control the pool lights in the back yard. I'll watch the trailer for the upcoming Matrix..several times.

I no longer HAVE to give it attention and move it around because it scrunches up in my pants pocket and reminds me that it needs tending to.

And when it runs low, I'll put my phone on a charger somewhere. If for some reason it runs down and shuts off then I'll put it on a charger when I get to one.

After all, as a boomer, I remember the freedom to not be connected, and thereby not be responsible,

Just some thoughts on how the simplicity of this phone is fitting in my life nicely..
as a boomer.

As a boomer you also get the benefit of being able to afford it. My fold 3 is paid for, no payments. Guess being a boomer has its benefits.

Us boomers have been around before cell phones.. We know how to do life without one, now if I can just remember where I put my damn phone.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As a boomer you also get the benefit of being able to afford it. My fold 3 is paid for, no payments. Guess being a boomer has its benefits.

Us boomers have been around before cell phones.. We know how to go live without one, now if I can just remember where I put my damn phone.
Samsung smart tag or find my mobile from one of your other phones...lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Me?

as a boomer.

I always say buy what you like and like what you buy.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
When folks were clamoring for a modern flip phone I think they were talking about the OLD Motorola RAZR, not this new generation of foldable smartphones. At least that's what I wanted. A RAZR with 4g so it could be activated on modern networks. Now THAT would truly appeal to the Boomers with their mania for 'retro" as well as pre-and post-Boomers like me.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
When folks were clamoring for a modern flip phone I think they were talking about the OLD Motorola RAZR, not this new generation of foldable smartphones. At least that's what I wanted. A RAZR with 4g so it could be activated on modern networks. Now THAT would truly appeal to the Boomers with their mania for 'retro" as well as pre-and post-Boomers like me.
I've had both and honestly I like the new folds better

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

Me?

as a boomer.

I really love this post. It was a brilliant read. Should be posted as a blog post somewhere. I am glad you like your phone and it does what you need it to.

You wrote so beautifully. I could have kept on reading for hours. Really engaging. My post of 2021. Truly.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I always say buy what you like and like what you buy.
Usually I would agree but this is the first I tell people I like my phone but can't recommend it, unless you have problems carrying Phablets in your pockets.

I wouldn't have bought any foldables if Samsung released the Note 21 Ultra.

They look at me with WTF reaction, like why did you buy it then. LOL

I guess you can call my Flip3 a, filler.

nee_m_d

May 1, 2017
Visit site
I'm usually too lazy to read through long posts, but I started reading and kept on reading, while smiling all the while. Beautiful post! I agree with all you laid out there! I love this Flip phone too and I hope the trend continues. This won't be my last.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Usually I would agree but this is the first I tell people I like my phone but can't recommend it, unless you have problems carrying Phablets in your pockets.

I wouldn't have bought any foldables if Samsung released the Note 21 Ultra.

They look at me with WTF reaction, like why did you buy it then. LOL

I guess you can call my Flip3 a, filler.

I agree. For me the phone fills a need for a wonderful portable phone that although may not have the biggest megapixel camera or best battery life fits what I need it to do. I do not see the phone as a daily driver for someone that that wants great pictures, battery life that lasts all day even when responding all day to texts, posting on social media, streaming the latest Netflix binge worthy show and playing Candy Crush for 3 hours. That's what a Note20 or S21 is for.

I'm looking forward to my upcoming trip to S. Carolina and being able to toss the Flip in my pocket and not worry about my shorts falling down.

My kids came over for dinner last night and saw the Flip 3 and were like "Hey this is pretty cool" My youngest son had tried the Surface Duo a few months ago and returned it. "This is much better" he said. They can appreciate the flip action because their first phones were flip style back in the early-mid 2000's. That brought on a whole discussion of retro flip phones, which was great.

I'd like to think that the 'Boomer' generation is fortunate to have experienced life before and during the current technology revolution, i.e., internet, personal computers, 100's of cable TV channels, 75" LED TV's, PS 5's, cell phones that we consume by the millions today and can still appreciate rotary dial phones, Pong, transistor radios, having to get up and change the channel on the TV to one of the 15 or 16 available at the time, UHF & VHF.

Maybe we're just at that age now where we can appreciate things for what they are and not what everyone else thinks they should be.
Maybe we're at that age where nostalgia kicks in.

At the end of the day if you're happy with what you bought, awesome. If not, return or sell it and move on to the next phone.

Thanks for listening.