| || |
Yes you can do the OTA update if you've unrevoked forever..here's how!
Hey there folk!
I saw some mentions in the EVO OTA(Version 3.70.651.1) thread about whether you should do this update, or if you should wait for it to be rooted...
Well I can happily report you do not need to wait for root..
If the following things apply to you, you are good to go:
1. You followed the steps for both unrevoked3 and unrevoked forever.
2. S-Off is listed on the bootloader screen.
3. Didn't have stock SW vers. 3.30.651.2
^--Added this on 18/12/2010 because I do not know how different SW Ver. 3.30.651.2 is, and I cannot vouch that this will work with it.
Disclaimer...doing this may void warranty, and doing this is at your own risk!
If yes, you only have to do Four steps to get the update, and get superuser access back!
1. Flash phone with a Stock recovery Image.
2. (Uninstall the Swype beta, if applicable) and Apply the OTA update via the phone menus
3. Flash back to the recovery of your choice
4. Apply the Super User update.
Do these Four Steps and you lose nothing...you can even keep using the free wifi tethering when its all done!
-------------If you need detailed instructions for everything follow below------------------------------------------------------
Before we begin there are some things you need.
1. Create Three folders on your Desktop, one labeled Sprint, the other labeled ClockworkMod, and the final one labeled Temp.
2. Stock EVO rom
(Download it from this XDA thread, to the folder you created called "Sprint": [GUIDE] How to Unroot the EVO in 2 STEPS - xda-developers you only need the file labeled PC36IMG don't download anything else from that thread)
3. Your choice of custom recovery Images(this example will use Clockworkmod download it here: http://bit.ly/ha2sCX to the folder you created called "ClockworkMod")
4. The Super user App.(download it here: http://bit.ly/su2361ef) Download to any folder.
5. I'm also assuming you have either Vista or Windows 7.
6. You'll also need to have your phone connected to the computer as a disk drive for steps that involve copying files.
7. If you have a 64-bit version of Windows 7(possible Vista as well) you will need a copy of winrar to open the ZIP file in step one.(thanks randers1 for discoverying this issue)
Step ONE: Flashing Stock recovery Image.
The first thing you have to do is flash your recovery back to the stock Sprint recovery image... Follow these Steps to create one:
1. Extract the Stock ROM, and the ClockworkMod file in their respective folders.
2. Now, Copy the Android-info.txt file from the Clockworkmod folder to the Temp Folder you created.
3. Inside the Extracted Stock Rom, Copy the file called "Recovery.img" to that same Temp Folder.
4. Create a ZIp file that includes the files you just copied. In Vista and Windows 7, highlight the two files you just copied, then right click and choose "Send to" "Compressed folder"...Rename this file "PC36IMG.zip"
Congrats you can now flash the recovery image on your phone!
Continuing on, you now have to Flash the recovery Img to the stock img that you created.
1. Copy the new "PC36IMG.zip" file you created above to the Root of your SD Card.
2. Shutdown your phone.
3. While pressing the down volume button press the Power button until the boot loader appears(It'll look like DOS text)
4. Wait for the phone to read your SD card, It'll then ask if you want to apply the update. Follow the onscreen instructions to say yes!
5. When the screen says you can, reboot the phone.
STEP TWO: Apply OTA update
This is pretty self explanatory, and it might not be available right away.
You can either wait for your phone to prompt you that there is an update, or you can force it to look...it might not be available right away. Just keep checking..you have to do the update this way if you don't want to lose any data. When it does become available, before you apply the udpate, make sure you have uninstalled the beta of swype, if you have it.
1. Delete the PC36IMG file you copied in step ONE.
2. Copy the unextracted PC36IMG.zip file you downloaded to the "ClockworkMod" folder to the root of your Phone SD card.
3. Shut down phone(Disconnect from PC)
4. WHile pressing down volume rocker, press the power button.
5. Follow on screen instruction like you did before to apply the update.
6. Reboot phone when prompted
1. Copy the Super User app(Zip file) you downloaded earlier to the root of your phones SD card.
2. While connected delete the PC36IMG.zip file from your SD card as well.
3. Shut down phone(disconnect from PC)
4. While pressing the down volume rocker, press the power button, until the bootloader appears.
5. Press the down Volume rocker until you highlight "RecoverY" then press the power button
6. On the recovery screen press the down volume rocker until you highlight "Install Zip from SDCARD" and press the Power button to select.
7. Press the down volume rocker until you highlight "Choose ZIP from SDCard" Press power button to select
8. press the Down volume rocker until you come to the super user file you copied to the SD card. If you didn't rename it the file name begins "SU-2.3.6..." Press the Power button to select
9. On the next screen press the down volume rocker until you come to "YES"
10. Follow the onscreen prompts to completion, using the power button to select stuff...when prompted choose yes to reboot device!
Congratulations you are now done!