[PSA] ROOTING Help, Info & Asking for help (updated 1/24/11)

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Need some help please. I am just rooting and I am floowing instructions and it says open Command Prompt. When I click on ADB it opens the prompt and then closes it. What am I doing wrong?

If you're in windows 7, view the folder in Windows Explorer then hold down the left shift key and right click on the tools folder, then select open command prompt here.

Or in other windows version go to start, run, type cmd and hit enter.

Biffer

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Amon_RA 2.2.1

I was going to start the root process tonight (using the Hboot 2.10 method from XDA), but saw that Amon_RA 2.2.1 was released today.

Am I better off waiting until the new recovery is tested and incorporated in z's package, or just attempting to get it done with RA 1.8 and flashing the new recovery after rooting?

Thanks.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I was going to start the root process tonight (using the Hboot 2.10 method from XDA), but saw that Amon_RA 2.2.1 was released today.

Am I better off waiting until the new recovery is tested and incorporated in z's package, or just attempting to get it done with RA 1.8 and flashing the new recovery after rooting?

Thanks.

rooting is the hard part, recovery flashing after the fact is a 1-2-3 type of process, so I'd go for it, then update the recovery when you're done.

Biffer

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Rooted - Thanks

rooting is the hard part, recovery flashing after the fact is a 1-2-3 type of process, so I'd go for it, then update the recovery when you're done.

I took the plunge and am now rooted! It took about an hour using z's method, but I felt much better about going down that road than trying Unrevoked3.

Per your advice in other threads, I tried to use z4root to just eliminate the bloat and wireless tether, but it would not work for me (it worked 1 time out of about 25 attempts, and seemed to screw some things up (Sense FC errors and SD app problems after using -- may or may not be related to the app?)). Since it looked like I would need to do a factory reset to get z4root working, I figured I might as well try to root.

Thanks again for being a great resource for folks on this forum. You (and others) make this a great place for people of all comfort levels to ask for and get information.

DandyAndy

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Flahsed rom and lost apps?

Hey all quick question.

I rooted a few days ago and flashed Cyan 6.1 liked it but decided to change back to stock rom. I backed up everything on my phone using TB including sytem and app info. I then did a nandroid backup and used ROM Manager to download Cyan 6.1 and wipe/install. After I tinkered with Cyan for a day or so I decided to flash back to stock. I did and can't seem to retrieve any apps. I tried downloading them again from the market place but keep getting an Force Close error anytime I download from the marketplace. I assume there is a file under clockworkmod that will restore all of this but I'm having trouble finding this. Any ideas on how to correct this? I'll include as much info as I know below. Thanks.

Ver 0003
raido 2.15.00.11.19
hboot 2.10.0001
clockworkmod 2.6.0.1

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
i've been rooted for the past few days now and i've really enjoyed it. i've been running cyanogen mod and its been cool...today i wanted to try the new myn rom so i did a tb...backed up current rom in rom manager and downloaded the myn from there. HERE'S WHERE THE PROBLEMS START... while in recovery mode the installation kept getting aborted...finally i worked something out (cant remember what i did exactly) and cyanogen loaded up again...except when brought to the setup screen....the touchscreen would not work...it would only rotate... so i went back to the boot loader and did a restore. the phone loaded up just fine but theres only one problem. everything looks stock...software info say 2.2 not 2.2.1... the super user icon is there but its a ninja...i was able to run wifi tether but did not test...but when i try to run tb it says that im not running a rooted version of the rom...and ALSO this isnt what the screen shots of myn looked like at all...any suggestions??? ( im also running clockwork mod 3.0)

rvega01

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Rooted HTC EVO 3.30.651.3 Now trying to update 3.70

Thanks for your time, I'm just a newy!

Yesterday I rooted my Evo using the new Unrevoked 3.3 and everything came out great. I have downloaded different rooted application including Tethering Free and all work great. Now my question is:
CAN I NOW UPGRADE TO 3.70.651.1 WITHOUT LOOSING ANY AAPLICATION OR THE ROOTING OF MY PHONE? ANY RISKS?

Thanks again for your time!

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your time, I'm just a newy!

Yesterday I rooted my Evo using the new Unrevoked 3.3 and everything came out great. I have downloaded different rooted application including Tethering Free and all work great. Now my question is:
CAN I NOW UPGRADE TO 3.70.651.1 WITHOUT LOOSING ANY AAPLICATION OR THE ROOTING OF MY PHONE? ANY RISKS?

Thanks again for your time!

Welcome to Android Central!

You should never accept an OTA update if you're rooted. If you want to run the latest software, flash a rooted stock rom.

rvega01

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Fred,

Thank you very much for your answer. Like you said, I flashed an stock 3.70 Rom and now it is working fine using the latest 3.70 software. As you know now I only have the applications that came originally with the 3.70. Before I flashed this 3.70 I did a nandroid backup, and my question is: "Can I restore all the apps and data I had before I flashed the 3.70, or this restore is only to be used if the flash comes out bad or not working?

Thank you very much for your time...

Snipperdo17

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
This may be a dumb question, but can I root the phone if its not connected to a network? I'm assuming there is some down time and I have no idea what I'm doing so I was thinking I will probably switch to my bold if I can do that. TIA

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This may be a dumb question, but can I root the phone if its not connected to a network? I'm assuming there is some down time and I have no idea what I'm doing so I was thinking I will probably switch to my bold if I can do that. TIA

Sure, you mean if it's not activated? That's fine, all you need really is a computer.

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
damn....coming from BB, this is a whole different world...thinking some of the stuff i did on the BB was bad or sometimes confusing...i was wrong LOL.....just read the post on ROOTING over at XDA, and it seems pretty confusing. either im brain dead, or just nervous about breaking my new phone......one question...do they keep those instructions pretty much up to date?.....

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
damn....coming from BB, this is a whole different world...thinking some of the stuff i did on the BB was bad or sometimes confusing...i was wrong LOL.....just read the post on ROOTING over at XDA, and it seems pretty confusing. either im brain dead, or just nervous about breaking my new phone......one question...do they keep those instructions pretty much up to date?.....

They sure do and usually update the thread title with the last date which it was updated.

This is a pretty easy method for rooting: [ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.2 (works with all version)(1/10/11) - xda-developers

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
awsome....thanks for the info.....much appreciated....man i gotta tell ya, most forums...people would bash you or go on about there day and not even reach out to help..LOL......pretty cool....thanks again