[PSA] ROOTING Help, Info & Asking for help (updated 1/24/11)

turbofan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
UnrEVOked user here on hardware 0003 and software 3.7.

Currently running MynWarm 2.2 rls 5.

I'm interested in running a different kernel to improve battery and performance. I've seen a couple different instruction lists but theyre not all the ssame. I've been using rom manager to flash things but i did flash the radio updates through recovery.

Where should I start on this? Any ideas?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
UnrEVOked user here on hardware 0003 and software 3.7.

Currently running MynWarm 2.2 rls 5.

I'm interested in running a different kernel to improve battery and performance. I've seen a couple different instruction lists but theyre not all the ssame. I've been using rom manager to flash things but i did flash the radio updates through recovery.

Where should I start on this? Any ideas?

I would check the evo development thread over at XDA - that's probably where you'll find the most up to date kernel information.

turbofan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. Ironically, right after I made that post I went back to the forum here and saw a thread titled "best stable kernel for sense-based roms" so at least I know which kernel I want now ;) Just have to figure out how to make it work.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. Ironically, right after I made that post I went back to the forum here and saw a thread titled "best stable kernel for sense-based roms" so at least I know which kernel I want now ;) Just have to figure out how to make it work.

You usually just flash kernels through recovery, sometimes you have to wipe cache/dalvik as well. Each kernel should have specific instructions on how to flash it.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I would like to root my evo running 2.2/0002/2.10, I am new to this and would like some help/advice please.

thefredelements guide is easy to follow and dont be scaried to try unrevoked if the guide is to much... alot of people dont like the unrevoked way but im now 3 weeks into my rooted evo and i used unrevoked with no issues

Reactions: 2CupsWithString

Chromie

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I've always been interested in rooting my phone, but the only thing that held me back was losing my music.

If I go through the steps of rooting my phone, will my music be wiped? And if so, is there anyway to save my music?

westhillsat

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've always been interested in rooting my phone, but the only thing that held me back was losing my music.

If I go through the steps of rooting my phone, will my music be wiped? And if so, is there anyway to save my music?

I used unrevoked and lost nothing. I just watched a couple of videos on you tube and actually I think unrevoked has been updated. I had to do less than the video showed, I just followed the prompts on the computer. Other than touching the power button a couple of times when it just sat there it was ok. Never rooted before this, one week and all is good. Just download the drivers first as mentioned in the you tube videos and remove HTC sync from your computer if you previously downloaded it.

GNemes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay ... really nervous about doing this, but definitely want to get rid of all the crap on my phone, and hopefully have a battery that lasts more than 3-4 hours or so.

My phone info is:

Hardware version: 0003
hboot - 2.10.0001
Android Version - 2.2
Software - 3.70.651.1

Now, I've been attempting to follow along on some of the discussion in this Rooting forum, but I admit that I'm now hopelessly confused. I've read not to use unrevoked because it doesn't really help one understand what's going on and in order to "unroot," it can be a problem. And then I read that it's okay, etc.

Can someone lead me to the ultimate step-by-step?

Thank you!

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Okay ... really nervous about doing this, but definitely want to get rid of all the crap on my phone, and hopefully have a battery that lasts more than 3-4 hours or so.

My phone info is:

Hardware version: 0003
hboot - 2.10.0001
Android Version - 2.2
Software - 3.70.651.1

Now, I've been attempting to follow along on some of the discussion in this Rooting forum, but I admit that I'm now hopelessly confused. I've read not to use unrevoked because it doesn't really help one understand what's going on and in order to "unroot," it can be a problem. And then I read that it's okay, etc.

Can someone lead me to the ultimate step-by-step?

Thank you!

Try the one by thefredelement it has pictures to help

ProCision

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted, running a sense Rom, is there anything I need to watch out for if I go to a non sense Rom?

Say I dont like the non sense Rom can I just go to recovery and recover my sense Rom?

I'm on warm2.2

Sent from eVo using Tapatalk pRo

the_eran_trio

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
so

i'm fairly new to rooting, i've had a droid, droid 2, and now an eVo. Last night i rooted the droid 2 (we're not on verizon anymore and i wanted to test out the rooting process to see if i could do it on a phone i didn't actually need). It went great and i now have a rooted droid 2. i would like to try it on my eVo, but i don't have it in my budget to replace the phone if it bricks. do you guys know what the chance of me bricking my phone is? if i do root, how easy is it to change back, should i have to return it to the store for repairs? i'm running mac osx 10.6.6 and was planning on using this video (YouTube - How to root the HTC Evo 4G in 3 minutes without wiping data)

any tips? any suggestions?

thanks guys

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I see the guide by thefredelement ... is there also a YouTube video that is recommended that fits my phone's profile?

I'm not sure if there's a youtube for that specific root method, the screen shot guide I made is good though, and if you have a problem you can ask right in that thread or search it and read through some problems people already had, most of it is just making sure you're on point step by step and you'll be fine.

I am rooted, running a sense Rom, is there anything I need to watch out for if I go to a non sense Rom?

Say I dont like the non sense Rom can I just go to recovery and recover my sense Rom?

I'm on warm2.2

Sent from eVo using Tapatalk pRo

The best tool you can use to help with rom switching is Rom Manager, when switching between different ROMs it's always a good idea to:

a) make a nandroid backup (you can name them using rom manager)
b) use titanium backup to backup your apps & app data for use on your new rom
c) always make sure to wipe when switching roms, you don't always need to wipe when just re-flashing a new version of the same rom to save all your stuff but still back things up in case there are any issues
d) If you switch to CyanogenMod make sure to check "Google Apps"

how do I hack my evo 4g and remove all the preset apps that I never use
can anyone help please

For just this purpose you can install z4root, select temporary root, install Titanium Backup and freeze the stock apps

i'm fairly new to rooting, i've had a droid, droid 2, and now an eVo. Last night i rooted the droid 2 (we're not on verizon anymore and i wanted to test out the rooting process to see if i could do it on a phone i didn't actually need). It went great and i now have a rooted droid 2. i would like to try it on my eVo, but i don't have it in my budget to replace the phone if it bricks. do you guys know what the chance of me bricking my phone is? if i do root, how easy is it to change back, should i have to return it to the store for repairs? i'm running mac osx 10.6.6 and was planning on using this video (YouTube - How to root the HTC Evo 4G in 3 minutes without wiping data)

any tips? any suggestions?

thanks guys

Please check the link in my signature and the first post in this thread, it's very important to find out all your software and hardware versions before choosing a root method.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch