Yes, another rooting issue..Help please? [Linux]

koinutron

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I've searched for similar threads and have come up empty handed so I'm asking for some help please.

I got the Spring HTC Evo 4G two days ago, and would like to root the device for having of interesting hackery. I have tried to use unrevoked3, unrevoked, z4root, and just updating the PC36IMG.zip from the bootloader. Here are the issues that I'm having

unrevoked: tells me that it can't create the marker and hangs on extracting files

unrevoked3 (from ubuntu linux): tells me that it failed to load module usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so **note** I ran the program as root. and then it states "ERROR: n = -1, errno =19 (no such device)

unrevoked3 (from Mac OSX): simply fails to root, no real explanation.

z4root: just doesn't work. it runs the exploit, reboots and fails to give root permissions

PC36IMG.zip: tells me something about it being too old?

Specs:

Hardware ID: 0004
Software ID: v2.2
Baseband: 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel: 2.6.32.17-gee557fd
Build: 3.70.651.1
HBOOT: 2.10.0001
SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-OFF

If anybody can help me to free my phone and give me root, I would be quite grateful.

Thanks!

John

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hm, you're S-OFF, do you have a custom recovery installed?

If so just flash a rooted rom, and if not then flash a custom recovery and then install a rooted rom :)

koinutron

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
killed it

not exactly sure what you mean by a custom recovery. eventually I got a rooted rom to start installing, but it failed and killed the phone... -_- took it back to sprint and they replaced it for free. Apparently it was killed so well that they couldn't even test to see if it had been rooted. Of course, I removed the custom rom file off the micro sd so if they tried to bootload it it wouldn't show up in there. ^__^. Basically it would start up to the white EVO 4G screen and stay there...

I think I'll wait until there's a better hboot 2.1.0001 one button root...heh.

Thanks for the replay.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
not exactly sure what you mean by a custom recovery. eventually I got a rooted rom to start installing, but it failed and killed the phone... -_- took it back to sprint and they replaced it for free. Apparently it was killed so well that they couldn't even test to see if it had been rooted. Of course, I removed the custom rom file off the micro sd so if they tried to bootload it it wouldn't show up in there. ^__^. Basically it would start up to the white EVO 4G screen and stay there...

I think I'll wait until there's a better hboot 2.1.0001 one button root...heh.

Thanks for the replay.

Sounds like you had issues with the computer accessing the USB device. I just used unrevoked3 on a hardware 004/hboot2.10 phone yesterday and it worked immediately. two reboots later, clockwork was installed, phone rooted, s-off and I didn't lift a finger.

Are you sure you had the android sdk installed when you ran it from ubuntu / macosx? Without the device mounting correctly, it won't be able to run unrevoked. On the mac, did you run it from the terminal or by clicking it?

Are you running with su permissions on ubuntu/mac?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Since you're S-OFF, you can just put this file: PC36IMG.zip

on the root of your sd card, power off your phone, press down the volume button and power button at the same time until the white screen loads up.

If your phone boots right in to bootloader it will pause for a second as it scans the file and will prompt you to update, just hit yes.

If your phone boots in to fastboot, just select bootloader from the menu and then the above process will take place.

When the update is done hit No to reboot, then select recovery from the menu.

Your phone will now boot in to clockworkmod v3.0.0.5 recovery where you can install custom rooted roms, etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11