[GUIDE]Updating to rooted gingerbread WITHOUT flashing a new ROM or wiping your phone

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This assumes you:
- Have the latest FROYO OTA installed 3.70.651.1
- Have some experience working with flashing things in recovery
- Have NOT deleted/uninstalled ANYTHING in /system
- Have defrosted any bloat you froze with Bloat Freezer or Ti Backup Pro
- Have S-OFF (Used Unrevoked Forever or a version of Unrevoked3 that includes Forever)

OK now let us get to it.

1. Go ahead and download the OTA like normal on your phone, but DO NOT install it.
2. Using a file manager copy the OTA zip file from /cache to /sdcard
3. Using Rom Manager, flash Amon RA Recovery 2.3 (Down at the bottom)
4. In Rom Manager, click the Reboot into Recovery button.
5. Select apply zip from SD Card and flash the OTA zip file that you put in /sdcard

--10 Minutes later.....you now have the UNROOTED OTA installed just as if you installed it normally--

6. Download the 2.6.0.1 ClockWorkMod Recovery zip from here and place it in the root of your SD card
7. Under settings > applications > disable FastBoot (re-enable this when you are done with the whole process)
8. Power off and reboot holding Volume down. The bootloader will scan and then will and ask you to press Volume up to install. Reboot.
9. Delete the PC36IMG.zip file from your SD card and place the attachment below in the root of the SD card.
10. Power off and reboot holding Volume down and then select recovery to start CWM recovery.
11. Choose apply zip from sd card. Choose select zip on sd card. You will see the SU file on the list, flash it to root your phone. Reboot.

You should now be rooted and can upgrade the recovery now to whatever style and version you want!

Enjoy! Please click the THANKS button if it worked for you! :D

Last edited:

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
There is no file in my cache folder after i just downloaded the update. Where else would it be?

Does your phone still say "System Update Ready" in the notification bar? It might get deleted on reboot and you might have to download it again.

Can I use this technique if I flashed my rom to the Rebirth AC-Rom?

Thanks!

Absolutely not, only when coming from the stock rooted 3.70.651.1.

Muffspring18

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Does your phone still say "System Update Ready" in the notification bar? It might get deleted on reboot and you might have to download it again.

Absolutely not, only when coming from the stock rooted 3.70.651.1.

Yes its ready to go. I have to hit install if i wanted to.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If someone can upload the update zip or find a link, that should solve the issue. So you have many zip files on your phone? If not, search with Astro to find all the zip files and see if you see it.

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Mine failed. It stopped under verifying current system. Here is what it said.
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/ip", "8289e9fb82bc64e14c9E:unknown command [451f77da640b7e0d8ca1e",]

E:Error in /sdcard/OTA_Supersonic_4.22.651.2-3.70.651.1_releasefd659qys0dtscpjv.zip
(Status 7)

Installation aborted.

Any idea to what the error means and why it failed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress