Video Output Questions...

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So after watching about every video I can find, and reading every website I can find, I have a few questions...

#1: It looks like the Screen on the device turns off when it is outputting video via the HDMI cable. AT least that is how it looked in the Sprint video. If that is indeed the case, how will you control the device? Say you have it connected and outputting via HDMI to your tv, and you are showing pictures on your tv. How will you go to a different folder or another picture or whatever?

#2: If you have a video output cable from a prior HTC device (connects to the Mini USB port and has the RCA audi and vidoe connections) will that cable work? Or is the HDMI the only way to get video out of the device?

#3: If you can you the older video output cables, do they tuirn the screen off too (they did not on older devices)?

#4: Is the video output only for watching movies, or can you use the device? For example, can you use it browse the web on a big screen?

#5: If you can use the device (browse the web, etc) with the display being shown on a tv via the video output, does it still turn the phone's screen off or does it only do that when you watch a movie?

I ask all of these questions because on the Sprint demonstration when they were playing movies and trailes via the HDMI port, it looked like the screen on the phone turned off. I have had a couple HTC devices, including my current Touch Pro 2, that connect via the Mini USB port with a cable that has RCA adio and video connectors (not HD though) and when you use it, the screen on the phone stays on. You can still tap the screen, and use it like normal. The tv just shows the same thing you see on the phone screen, and if you have an audio device connected to it then it plays the same thing you hear on the phone's speakers.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
#1: the controls for the video are on the phones screen. The phone does not display the same as on teh screen when watching a movie through the mini HDMI.

Mini HDMI cables are abundant. I doubt the older Mini USB will work.
Maybe the Incredible's Micro USB to TV but it's a stretch they would incorporate two video out modes.

cesjr02

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, so we won't see functionality like the USB_TV out of the Incredible, where what you see on the phone is projected on the TV?

Kind of a bummer because that's a cool feature. However the Inc's TV out is only standard def while the Evo's is 720p.

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
The HDMI port on the EVO is the same as the USB on the Incredible, just in HD. It will work the same way, but in 720p.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So will the USB port and standard def cable also work, or only the HDMI port and high def output?

Sorry, I said Mini USB in my first post but I meant Micro USB...

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Micro USb and mini HDMI are quite the same.

USB:
MFG-H11489-ND,%20H11503-ND,%20H11504-ND.jpg

Mini, and regular, HDMI:
hdmi_to_mini_hdmi.jpg

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
So will the USB port and standard def cable also work, or only the HDMI port and high def output?

Sorry, I said Mini USB in my first post but I meant Micro USB...

No. You will need the micro HDMI cable. It is the only one that works. The phone DOES use micro USB to charge though. Nobody is really sure what kind of HDMI cable the EVO uses, we will have to see when the phone launches.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So will I be able to view my phones screen on the tv no matter what I am doing (browsing the net, whatever) or does it only work for watching videos?

joelkamp

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
So has anyone figured out how you control the phone with the HDMI plug in? As the OP noted it looks like the screen goes black when the HDMI is plugged in.

R1_Rydah

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
will there be a way to output to composite? If slingbox ever gets their sh## together and releases a android app I need to output slingbox via composite to the headunit in my vehicle... I want a evo badly, but there are still a few apps wm has that arent available on android yet...

Last edited:

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
will there be a way to output to composite? If slingbox ever gets their sh## together and releases a android app I need to output slingbox via composite to the headunit in my vehicle... I want a evo badly, but there are still a few apps wm has that arent available on android yet...

during the podcast earlier, i am pretty sure they stated that slingbox's android app was out or getting ready to be out.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I wrote to Microvision and they said they may have an HDMI capable device at the end of 2011. Guess I'm not going to get it now as it would be of limited use to me. I could use it with my Kodak PlaySport video camera but mostly wanted to use it with the EVO. I don't see the EVO outputting video to both ports. It wouldn't always be video that I'd want to output to the projector though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress