EVO Video Conferencing via Qik to Skype with a Computer

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure it will be coming, but does anybody have any information about the ability to video conference with someone on a computer? Right now, it seems the Qik app only allows video conferencing with another EVO. Qik does have a beta desktop app (Qik in time) where those watching your stream on a computer can chat to you in your EVO's Qik program.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Number one problem: QIK isn't standardized.

So, there will have to eventually be a Skype program to talk to Skype. Qik to Qik... not cross platforming due to the non-standardization.

Plus side is, there will probably be a plethora of apps for the EVO due to it being the first front facing camera Android device. I hope?

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Number one problem: QIK isn't standardized.

So, there will have to eventually be a Skype program to talk to Skype. Qik to Qik... not cross platforming due to the non-standardization.

Plus side is, there will probably be a plethora of apps for the EVO due to it being the first front facing camera Android device. I hope?

Yeah, that's what I meant. It would be Qik to Qik or Skype to Skype. Just wondering when we'll be able to video conference with a PC or a Mac. Qik needs a computer program and Skype needs an Android program.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm still wondering how Qik works. How do you do a private chat?
Guess I'll have to get a phone in my hand and somebody else with a supported phone to find out.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm still wondering how Qik works. How do you do a private chat?
If the person using a PC has downloaded and is watching your stream with Qik-in-Touch then they can send you a chat. Not sure if it goes the other way. Then again, you're streaming so you could just "say" hello, or respond to their message.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
but that's not private. I'm thinking one on one.
OK, I'm really thinking how great this is for cybering. Just need to figure it out.
I can't be the only one :)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Phil mentioned that it would work with google chat/google talk in this weeks podcast. If you didn't listen while we were recording it, it should be posted for download sometime tomorrow on the front page and on your podcatcher.

This IMO makes it viable, and I'm pissed about Sprint/Google dropping the N1 a little less. I see lots of ways this can be used, both for work and for play.

phillysdon04

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
My friend accepted my request but I still can't seem to stream a live video from my EVO via Qik to their laptop via Qik-in-Touch. Does anyone else have this working?

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Fring is able to video chat from th Evo to a iPhone4 user. Both need to download fringe from there stores (market and app) then set it up and call each other. Not sure how good it would be but check it out.

Cubanjinx

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Since fring lost the skype support I recently moved to movicha. Its not the best thing around...maybe since there's nothing else it is. Either way you can video call from your evo to a desktop

robbielo

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Damn im really trying to figure it out its on one of the commercials for the evo where someones holding the phones and it says qik on the phone while hes streamin live video and a girl is on her PC looking at the same video the guy was streaming so its obvious that its possible its just annoying that they put it in their commercials when its not even available to us yet.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Damn im really trying to figure it out its on one of the commercials for the evo where someones holding the phones and it says qik on the phone while hes streamin live video and a girl is on her PC looking at the same video the guy was streaming so its obvious that its possible its just annoying that they put it in their commercials when its not even available to us yet.

Well, it's not Qik, but you can chat EVO to PC using Yahoo Messenger.

R1_Rydah

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
you CAN do that with your evo & qik, but its only a one way stream... the person on their pc can watch what the evo is streaming on the web, but the evo cant watch a stream from a pc using qik...

if you want pc to to evo video chat, just use this http://www.androidcentral.com/yahoos-video-chat-app-comes-early-thanks-t-mobile-mytouch-4g-rom-dump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress