3G/4G Tether at no cost confirmation?

BigKenW

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

The article on Qik charges had some interesting comments about tethered use being free on the Evo.

Can anyone that gained an I/O Evo confirm this (and without rooting/PDA Net)?

I am a reservist and use my 3G Card (which has a contract end date of June 4th) only on weekends once a month to do schoolwork online.

I can't see paying for the WiFi hotspot for two days a month if I can tether after the 10 dollar fee that is added for data.

Thanks,

Ken

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I just tested with mine and works great! The hotspot feature doesn't work with 3G yet anyway. Sprint has admitted there is a problem and won't have 3G Hotspot functionality until end of July, so I will just use this. It is free and works just as good as PDAnet. As long as Sprint will allow it unconditionally this should be a viable option for those of us that don't really need the WiFi Hotspot option.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I just need to know if the ability to tether is there for macs as well. I think you need to install Htc sync or something like that and they don't have mac version yet... Or do they?

BigKenW

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I just tested with mine and works great! The hotspot feature doesn't work with 3G yet anyway. Sprint has admitted there is a problem and won't have 3G Hotspot functionality until end of July, so I will just use this. It is free and works just as good as PDAnet. As long as Sprint will allow it unconditionally this should be a viable option for those of us that don't really need the WiFi Hotspot option.

Techgeek, how exactly did you tether? I am an Android Noob, and will be going away with the military the day I get my Evo. So details would be huge.

I heard HTC phones with Sense have tethering built in, but my buddy with an Incredible said his doesn't have it (or know how to get it).

The perfect solution would be something like the Palm Pre had, the device would provide a DHCP IP address to the PC over the USB cable.

Thanks!

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
This issue is currently being addressed in other threads.

As it stands now, sprint does not endorse or promote tethering outside of the wireless hotspot feature. However, there are currently no software or hardware restrictions on phones preventing usb/bluetooth tethering though 3rd party market apps, and free "wireless hotspot" through rooting. I would advice searching the forums for anything else guys. =)

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Note when liquidjesus says "Sprint does not endorse or promote" he means "Sprint's contract with you says they can cancel your account for tethering at their discretion". Basically, tether at your own risk.

BigKenW

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
LiquidJesus and Vincent, I appreciate your feedback and will proceed at my own risk.

I have been reading other threads and I don't feel I have a good understanding. Techgeek, any info you can provide is helpful. Thanks!

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Just don't abuse it and you'll never have an issue. I stream Pandora on my Pre and regularly use upwards of 3-5GB of "data usage" each month. You think they'll be able to tell if you tether your Evo and do some email in that limited time you're out of WiFi range....nah.

Just don't make it your primary internet source, or if you do, pony up the $30 so it's a non-issue.

If you only use it "when you really really need to" then check out:

Sprint EVO does free tethering… just like every Android phone – Android and Me

Oh....and don't download Torrents or Windows Updates while you tether or your certain to get caught.