Corner of the screen is loose

p1eric

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When I press the lower left corner of my screen it moves in a little bit. The other three corners seem to be firmly attached to whatever is beneath. It doesn't cause any problems with the touch input, just something I noticed.

Anyone else see this on their EVO?

Thanks

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The only place that there is a slight give is on the top left of the battery cover. It seems to have about a 1mm play, but it doesn't creak or anything, so I'm not complaining.

p1eric

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When I push it in and hold it it'll stay in for a bit and then slowly pop back out. My guess is that there is some kind of double-sided tape holding the screen down. My concern is that over time it'll get worse and create a gap where dust and water can get in. At this point I'm afraid to put my zagg screen protector on. Guess I'll take it in to the Sprint store and see if they can repair it.

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
When I push it in and hold it it'll stay in for a bit and then slowly pop back out. My guess is that there is some kind of double-sided tape holding the screen down. My concern is that over time it'll get worse and create a gap where dust and water can get in. At this point I'm afraid to put my zagg screen protector on. Guess I'll take it in to the Sprint store and see if they can repair it.

Did you take yours in? If so, what happened? I have the SAME problem and its a little irritating.. i definitely dont want to put on my screen protector til this is fixed... Also.. do you happen to have a buzz when people are talking if you hold the device to your ear? Sounds like a bad speaker or something to me (although the speaker phone speaker sounds great!)

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Down in the bottom left corner by the home button. It just a little... but I have the same concerns of it getting worse over time.

DougDarden

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I have it. You should check out this thread... LINK: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/15927-anyone-else-not-having-light-leakage-capacitive-buttons.html

Others in the thread are having the same issue. "The glass is raised up ever so slightly in the bottom left corner and if I press it back down, the light leakage goes away for a couple of seconds until the glass rises back up again." (post #45)

FWIW, I think your "corner of the screen is loose" issue and the bottom "light leakage" issue are related to an adhesive problem along the bottom (especially below the home button).

You'll see proaud's caulk solution in the thread and my attempt as well. (post #91) Fyi, the caulk fixed my light leakage, but the lower left corner is still raised slightly above the bezel and "moves a little bit" like yours. I hope this helps.

- Doug

blazebcf

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem... it has a squeaking sound that keeps bothering me overtime I press in the bottom left and goes all the to the back button and half way up along the left side of the screen

p1eric

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Did you take yours in? If so, what happened? I have the SAME problem and its a little irritating.. i definitely dont want to put on my screen protector til this is fixed... Also.. do you happen to have a buzz when people are talking if you hold the device to your ear? Sounds like a bad speaker or something to me (although the speaker phone speaker sounds great!)

Haven't taken it in yet. I'll try to get to the Sprint store this weekend. No buzz from the earpeice either. Everything else about the device seems perfect.

FWIW, I think your "corner of the screen is loose" issue and the bottom "light leakage" issue are related to an adhesive problem along the bottom (especially below the home button).

Doug, I think you are right on the money. Don't think I'm going to caulk the phone though. The light leakage doesn't bother near as much as the idea that eventually I'll have dust/water under the screen or that the screen will totally seperate over time.

BetterMost#AC

May 4, 2010
Visit site
IT'S A VERY SIMPLE FIX, This topic was brought up on another forum and it was decided that the screws need to be tightened on some handsets. It seems some left the factory with screws not fully tightened this is also causing some of the bottom end light leaks as well. You will see the tiny black screws in each corner once the battery cover is removed. I think you can buy these special star drivers at Radio Shack or just take the handset in to a Sprint service center for tightening.

Last edited:

p1eric

May 17, 2010
Visit site
IT'S A VERY SIMPLE FIX, This topic was brought up on another forum and it was decided that the screws need to be tightened on some handsets. It seems some left the factory with screws not fully tightened this is also causing some of the bottom end light leaks as well. You will see the tiny black screws in each corner once the battery cover is removed. I think you can buy these special star drivers at Radio Shack or just take the handset in to a Sprint service center for tightening.

You wouldn't happen to have a link would you? From the photos I've seen it looks like an issue with the adhesive failing. I'd be happy to learn that a few screws just needed to be tightened.

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
You wouldn't happen to have a link would you? From the photos I've seen it looks like an issue with the adhesive failing. I'd be happy to learn that a few screws just needed to be tightened.

This didn't work for me. YMMV. Its a T5 screwdriver on the bottom two screws when you've removed the back panel.

blazebcf

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I took it to the Sprint store and they said the adhesivethinfy is coming off because of the spray thingy they used to put on the zagg screen protector

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

DougDarden

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
This didn't work for me. YMMV. Its a T5 screwdriver on the bottom two screws when you've removed the back panel.

Didn't work for me either. I tried the 'tightening the screws' technique before I did the caulk and it did nothing. Sorry. I wish it would have worked! I'm still thinking the problem is the adhesive.

- Doug

p1eric

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I took it to the Sprint store and they said the adhesivethinfy is coming off because of the spray thingy they used to put on the zagg screen protector

Another reason NOT to put the Zagg on until after the problem is fixed. I don't want Sprint trying to say its due to something I did.

blazebcf

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I will take it to best buy, where they put on the zagg, to see what they'll do about it... its been getting looser at higher portions of the left side by the days

barrysanders20

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

If this is true, I'll definitely be getting the Seidio protector. It doesn't use a liquid based solution.

Sinamn2224

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't think its the screen protector. I have the same thing where the bottom left screen is raised up a little and I don't use a screen protector.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89