? on battery conditioning & "memory"

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I properly charged my battery for first use for over 8 hours.

With my travelling back and forth and computer and car access timeframes, I'd like to know if this type of battery can be plugged in for short or long periods without fully charging or being discharged and NOT affect the capacity.

Any ideas on this type? So much has changed with this aspect of battery technology that I don't know where it stands with this one, only to be aware of it.

I know as with any rechargeable that it is wise to fully discharge it from time to time.

Ex: battery at 45%...getting into car...charge for 30 minutes..not fully charged and unplug...move about...back to 45 or around it and plug in again..., etc...etc...etc...

Thanks.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Lithium Ion batteries do not have any memory or conditioning (Besides being delivered at a "idle" charge of 45% battery), unlike older Nickel-based batteries. Basically, you can charge them whenever you like. Lithium Ion batteries have a limit on the number of full charges, that's essentially all (Usually around 1000 full charges).

Note when I say full charges, I mean if you drain it to 50% one day, then charge, that is half of one full charge. Doing the same the next day would count as 1 full charge removed, bringing you to 999.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
There is mild conditioning in the sense that the battery has to go through a few charging cycles before it can reach its full potential!

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Im not calling anyone in here a liar, but I would really like to see some sources to back up the info that is being stated. Theres alot of discrepancies and Id like to know the answer to the OPs question too.

Prkl8r

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Im not calling anyone in here a liar, but I would really like to see some sources to back up the info that is being stated. Theres alot of discrepancies and Id like to know the answer to the OPs question too.

Do research on Li-Ion Batteries, they do not suffer from "memory effect" issues that the old NiCd batteries did. So NO, there is no "conditioning" that happens with these batteries. Yes, there could be some anecdotal evidence from people on message boards, but there is no scientific validity to it.

I think there may be more of an issue with the phone's ability to correctly gauge the current charge of a battery, leading to showing quick battery drain and not fully charging.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
plenty of info all over the web that show li-ion batteries do not need conditioning and do not have a memory effect. this was true with nickel batteries years ago. the only thing that needs to happen with a new battery is that the OS needs to calibrate itself to know where full and empty is, then it saves those numbers, and averages them over time the more the phoen is charged and discharged.

on a rooted nexus one, for example, in the boot menu, i have the option to "wipe battery file" if i ever wanted to start over.