Major Phone app bug when not using Sense

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE

I had come across what I initially thought was a bug that occurs with the phone app when not using Sense UI as the default home launcher. It even occurs when using the stock Android launcher.

As it turns out, the behavior of the Phone button on the Sense UI launcher is significantly different than that of the Phone app button found in the app drawer.

The Sense UI Phone button returns a user to an existing call, while the Phone app button starts the Phone app in a mode that allows the user to add a call (as in a 3 way or conference call).

If you are using any alternative launcher (including the stock Android launcher), please note that the only way to get back to an existing call is to use the notification bar. You can use the call notification to return to the call or end it.

Personally, I find the default behavior of the stock phone button to be unclear. I would consider it a design flaw in stock Android, but that is my opinion. Apparently, HTC feels the same way since they made the functionality of their Phone button different.

END UPDATE

It's very easy to replicate.

With the stock Android Home Launcher or a 3rd party launcher like LauncherPro or ADW.Launcher set as your default home launcher, make a phone. The call will start normally and you'll see the red End Call button.

Then press the home button and press the phone app button again to go back to the call.

When you get back to the Phone app, you'll see that the app thinks that no call is connected. Your call is still connected, but the green "Call" button is now displayed and there is no way to end the call.

Unless the other party hangs up, you are stuck in the call. The only way I've been able to end the call is to shut off the phone.

Has anyone else using the stock Android launcher, LauncherPro or ADW.Launcher experienced this problem? Can you replicate it?

Has anyone using Home++ or another third party launcher experienced this?

At first, I thought this was a problem with the 3rd party launchers, but if the phone app won't work properly, then it is a major bug on HTC's part.

Please do not post about whether or not you think users should disable Sense. That is not the issue here.

Last edited:

posguy99

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I have come across a serious bug that occurs with the phone app when not using Sense UI as the default home launcher. It even occurs when using the stock Android launcher.

No, it's not a bug.

It's very easy to replicate.

It had better be, the behavior is by design.

With the stock Android Home Launcher or a 3rd party launcher like LauncherPro or ADW.Launcher set as your default home launcher, make a phone. The call will start normally and you'll see the red End Call button.

Then press the home button and press the phone app button again to go back to the call.

When you get back to the Phone app, you'll see that the app thinks that no call is connected.

No, you'll see that the phone is now allowing you to dial a second call to conference with the first.

Your call is still connected, but the green "Call" button is now displayed and there is no way to end the call.

Other than to drag the notification bar down and press the big red button you see there. You can even go back to the original call by simply selecting it without pressing the red button.

Unless the other party hangs up, you are stuck in the call. The only way I've been able to end the call is to shut off the phone.

Or press the big red button you see in the notification bar.

The issue here is that you have no idea how the phone works. This behavior is by design, and allows you to merge calls together. You've heard of conference calls?

This happens in Sense, in Launcher2, in ADW, in Helix, etc... because it's supposed to.

khiladi

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I was able to replicate the same issue you stated. I'm using LauncherPro as my default home launcher.

I found a better solution to ENDing the call instead of shutting off the phone. Slide down the "Notifications" curtain and you will see the red "End Call" button. Click on that red button to end the call ;-)

Hope that helps!

baggyp

May 8, 2010
Visit site
WOW!!!! Thant has to be the one of the most jerk way to respond that I have ever seen...... Not everyone knows all the ins and outs of Android. As well some of us noobs are very literate with tech so we pick it up faster. No need to respond like that.

Last edited:

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the behavior is not the same when using the Sense launcher, so it would seem that you are the one that doesn't know how the phone works. Before answering with a condescending tone, you might want to get your facts straight.

As I mentioned in my original post, when using the Sense launcher, the red "End Call" button is available when returning to the Phone app.

It is only when using an alternative launcher that I see the green "Call" button when returning to the Phone app after having clicked the home button.

It's good to know that there is an option to end the call by using the notification bar, especially when answering incorrectly. However, this is not necessary when using the standard Sense launcher.

That being the case, the difference in the behavior of the phone app when using alternative launchers could certainly be considered a bug. At the very least it is an inconsistency.

You might want to adopt a less derisive tone when answering questions on a community forum. Treating other members with respect is the accepted norm.

Last edited:

posguy99

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the behavior is not the same when using the Sense launcher, so it would seem that you are the one that doesn't know how the phone works.

Except that I actually tested it, of course.

As I mentioned in my original post, when using the Sense launcher, the red "End Call" button is available when returning to the Phone app.

If you use the Sense "Phone" button, which returns to the open call. If you launch the Phone app, the way you originally stated and the only way you could do it with any alternative launcher, it does not, because launching the app starts another call. Whether Sense is running, or not.

I'll grant that the behavior is not what you expected. But it's certainly not a "major Phone app bug" when things work they way they're supposed to.

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have updated my original post.

Is there any way to replace the functionality of the Sense Phone button without using the notification method?

Last edited:

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
As a new user, I would concur that Android has features which are a tad confusing or a bit unintuitive at first. Glad I read this info here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez