Facebook App

dashib

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Love the EVO so far, however I don't get Facebook notifications, only through email which is slow to come through. Is there any fix for that????

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I used to not get them either. I was using advanced task killer, and well, killing them. You can set it to ignore them so it stays on the friends stream.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Facebook app for Android is full of fail in general. Its really quite pathetic. Their mobile version of the website is actually much better, try that along with text notifications.

th3gh05t

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am having this same issue. I get the Facebook alert in my Gmail, but the app doesn't alert. I've seen it one time, but never again.

Also, if you go to "Settings > Accounts and Sync" -- What is the difference between "Facebook for Sense" and "Facebook"? Would that be the problem?

bigvic13

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
If you look through the settings for Facebook for Android (the app) the notifications that you receive through the app are for messages, pokes, and I think 2 other things, but not actual FB notifications, like in WebOS or iOS.
Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, as I am new to Android (thanks EVO!)

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
If you look through the settings for Facebook for Android (the app) the notifications that you receive through the app are for messages, pokes, and I think 2 other things, but not actual FB notifications, like in WebOS or iOS.
Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, as I am new to Android (thanks EVO!)

This is correct. You only have the choice to get Messages, Pokes, Friend Request, and Event Invites. Coming from iOS...this app is very far behind. However I'm sure it will catch up. The Facebook app for iOS has been around since 07 and the Android app is relatively very new only coming out in 2009. But I'm not sure why, it can't catch up faster...I know they are different operating systems, but the iPhone and A LOT of Android phones have the same capabilities...they are probably waiting for all the Android phones to catch up.

th3gh05t

May 20, 2010
Visit site
This is correct. You only have the choice to get Messages, Pokes, Friend Request, and Event Invites. Coming from iOS...this app is very far behind. However I'm sure it will catch up. The Facebook app for iOS has been around since 07 and the Android app is relatively very new only coming out in 2009. But I'm not sure why, it can't catch up faster...I know they are different operating systems, but the iPhone and A LOT of Android phones have the same capabilities...they are probably waiting for all the Android phones to catch up.

Ya, I have all of those options checked, but I still don't receive a Facebook update.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ya, I have all of those options checked, but I still don't receive a Facebook update.

Did you check the update interval?

IIRC, it default to like 6 hours, so if you check manually you acknowledge the update so the phone doesn't see it. I lowered the time to two hours and I get updates now as I usually don't check it more often than that interval.

th3gh05t

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Did you check the update interval?

IIRC, it default to like 6 hours, so if you check manually you acknowledge the update so the phone doesn't see it. I lowered the time to two hours and I get updates now as I usually don't check it more often than that interval.

My update interval is set to 30 minutes. Maybe there's a bug for when it's set to this time interval?

I'll try 1 hour or 2 hour and see what happens.

gorow247

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Weirdest thing... I get the notification (which began arriving after switching it to 1 hour), but the sound that plays seems to be one of the songs I added for listening to music... if I let my phone be, it will play the entire song, but I usually just tap the notification and it loads up my Facebook. I checked my settings in the Facebook app and when I tap Notification Ringtone there is nothing selected...none of the circles are filled in. Not sure how this happened, but thought I'd share.

th3gh05t

May 20, 2010
Visit site
After leaving it at "1 hour" for 12 days, I still don't get updates. The only time I will get a "Facebook Alert" is right when I initially open the application.

Even when I can see that Facebook is running in the background (by holding the "Home" button), I still get e-mail alerts.

In my Gmail account, I have a filter for all Facebook alert e-mails.Currently, that filter does not auto archive, or "Skip the inbox". I'm going to try this setting and let you know what happens.

There has to be a solution for this.

th3gh05t

May 20, 2010
Visit site
So after altering my Gmail filter for Facebook, that didn't work either.

This is the one complaint I have about the EVO.

I can see that Facebook is running in the background (ES Task Manager), but it still doesn't get any updates. Again, the only time I get a "FB Update" (when there is a FB icon in the notification bar), is when I initially open up the app after rebooting or something.

Arggghhhh!!!

Last edited:

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
When GoogleMe comes out, I'm dropping Facebook like a rock. Terrible app, by the way if you have used the iphone version.