htc evo 4g stuck on black screen with white android

grumpybill

May 31, 2012
Visit site
:(I bought an HTC EVO 4G and it worked fine until I did the factory reset to erase the previous owners data and now the phone will get past the white evo 4g screen but when it goes to the black screen with the white word "ANDROID" it freezes.

I have done the battery pull and volume/power button thing but it still freezes

do i need to install a driver or anything? I am lost, any input will be much apprecieated! thanks

dubyasux

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
From your description, I suspect that the EVO was rooted by the previous owner. If you press the power and volume down buttons holding both down until the phone starts, you should boot to the recovery screen. If you are able to boot into recovery, can you post the recovery name and version which should be displayed at the top of the screen,

grumpybill

May 31, 2012
Visit site
the first white screen on the hboot says
SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-2.10.0001
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
oct 15 2010,12:07:00

The next screen says

ClockworkMod Recovery v2.6.0.1

I was trying to reset the phone to take the previous owners accounts such as e-mail off and add mine but when i tried to mount a memory card it said something like" unable to read sd card"

dubyasux

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I would first power off the phone, remove the battery, and reseat the sd card which is located in the lower right corner. After reseating the sd card and reinstalling the battery, press the power button and see if the phone boots normally. Do you still receive the error "unable to read sd card"? Is this the same sd card you were using before?

grumpybill

May 31, 2012
Visit site
It still just goes to the android screen. The guy I bought the phone from took the SD card that he had in it, I have the SD card from the last phone I had. If A phone is rooted are the new settings stored on an SD card or the internal memory?

dubyasux

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Connect the EVO 4G to an available USB 2 port on your computer and boot the phone into ClockworkMod Recovery by simultaneously pressing and holding the power and volume down buttons. Use the volume up/down button to highlight "mounts and storage" then press the power button. Use the volume up/down button to highlight "mount sd card" then press the power button. Are you able to copy a test file from your computer to the sd card?

grumpybill

May 31, 2012
Visit site
When I tried doing that i got the message

ClockworkMod Recovery v2.6.0.1
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(no such file or directory)
Error mounting SDCARD:!

dubyasux

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
If you are connecting your phone to a Windows computer, download and install HTC Sync from HTC Help Center

Your sd card does not appear to be formatted. After you install HTC Sync, open My Computer, right click on the drive letter assigned to the EVO, select Format, and format the sd card with the FAT32 filesystem. I expect that you will also need to flash a new ROM to your phone.

There is a wide variety of ROMs available for the EVO 4G, and you can explore and experiment until you find the ROM that suits you best. As a starting point I would recommend either MikG 3.11, available at MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012], or the stock HTC Sense ROM, available at stock_deo_4.67.zip. Download the ROM of your choice to your computer.

I also recommend ca1ne's Classic Sense Kernel v1.3 with SBC (Superior Battery Charging) available at http://ca1ne.classictomatoe.net/downloads/classickernelv13-sbc.zip. I have used this kernel with the MikG 3.11 ROM for about a month and am very impressed with the battery life when the EVO is left to charge overnight.

After downloading the zip files for the ROM and the Classic Sense Kernel (optional), copy the files to the root folder of the sd card. Before starting to flash your phone, make sure that the phone's battery is at least 40% charged since the phone runs on battery power alone during recovery or while flashing the ROM. When you are prepared to flash your ROM, boot the phone into ClockworkMod Recovery by simultaneously pressing and holding the power and volume down buttons.

1) In ClockworkMod Recovery use the volume up/down button to highlight "wipe data/factory reset" then press the power button; when complete, repeat this step two more times to ensure the data partition is completely wiped
2) Use the volume up/down button to highlight "wipe cache partition" then press the power button
3) Use the volume up/down button to highlight "advanced" then press the power button
4) Use the volume up/down button to highlight "wipe Dalvik cache" then press the power button
5) Use the volume up/down button to highlight "Go Back" then press the power button
6) Use the volume up/down button to highlight "install zip from sdcard" then press the power button
7) Use the volume up/down button to highlight "choose zip from sdcard" then press the power button
8) Use the volume up/down button to highlight the file name for the ROM then press the power button
9) Wait patiently for the ROM flash to complete; do not unplug your EVO
10) If you want to flash the Classic Sense Kernel as well, use the volume up/down button to highlight "choose zip from sdcard" then press the power button and use the volume up/down button to highlight the file name for the kernel then press the power button
11) Use the volume up/down button to highlight "Go Back" then press the power button
12) Use the volume up/down button to highlight "reboot system now" then press the power button

The first boot after flashing the ROM will take several minutes. When your phone has finished booting, it will be ready to set up for your use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87