Anybody run apps off the SD yet?

mikeDCMDVA

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I woke up to two little nasty icons in the notification tray reminding me of the space running low on the internal phone memory.

I have downloaded like just a couple apps, no big games or anything (well, just one, baseball)

I had to remove that game and reboot the phone to get it back and working better.

This is crazyness!! Is there a way to run these apps off the SD on the EVO right now?

sigh...

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Unless someone can up with a 3rd party solution, Froyo is the only way I know to run apps off of SD. I am beginning to run low as well.

cdolan22

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
How many apps do you guys have? also-where do you go to see how much space you have left? and what should be a normal amount?

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I have about 20 apps installed and I am still showing 306MB of internal storage. Not sure what is causing your guys problem? If you have some games they give you an option to install additional data to the internal memory or the SD card. Could this be part of the problem maybe? (Stored the additional data to your internal memory)

mikeDCMDVA

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
well, sucks though because some great games are 100-200mb, on my iphone it just stores everything using the sole internal storage of 16gb...i have tons of apps and games....what the heck is with this crappy internal storage only of the Evo >.<

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I also hit my limit and am looking for solutions. (PM please) I just removed a bunch of things to make more room. Some programs create thier own DB's and suck in a lot of data to fill this space very fast!

I was going to look into App2SD soon but am unsure of that is the only/best solution.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
well, sucks though because some great games are 100-200mb, on my iphone it just stores everything using the sole internal storage of 16gb...i have tons of apps and games....what the heck is with this crappy internal storage only of the Evo >.<

Froyo will fix this.

gorow247

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I am having a similar problem: under "SD & Phone Storage" I am showing SD Card Total Space: 7.40GB and for Available Space 2.06GB. I don't know why I only have 2.06GB available because I just removed all the videos I loaded up for a 5hr flight. I got curious and did a copy/paste of my root folder from the mounted Evo to a folder on my Mac for as I would do for a backup. There was only 112.1MB in that entire copy/paste. Is the root folder the entire SD? Am I missing something?

Joeriginal

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Do you clear your caches, go in to setting applications and clear out your app caches for each that have them, especially the internet, and market, this could free up a good 20-30mb for you.

gorow247

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you clear your caches, go in to setting applications and clear out your app caches for each that have them, especially the internet, and market, this could free up a good 20-30mb for you.

I haven't been, but thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot. This wont get rid of anything important will it? What kind of things are these applications "cache-ing"

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Quick Uninstaller to backup my programs to the SD card then I remove them, at least for the ones I won't use as often. This way I can at least restore them real fast from the SD card and don’t have to be online. I wish there were a program to do this automatically!!!

I used to use a program in the old PalmOS days called PowerRun which did just that. It created a shortcut to an app, looked just like the apps own icon but added a small symbol. Then you just click that icon, it copied the program from the SD card into RAM and ran the program. When the program was done it copied any changes back to the SD card then removed the files from memory. It was really fast and worked very well! A GREAT solution, one we need now even with Froyo! If the files were encrypted, we could not directly access, copy or use the files so that would solve any worries from developers.

Anyone have any other solutions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress