Cant move apps to SD card on Galaxy Tab A7 Lite

May 27, 2021
Visit site
I have a Galaxy tab A7 lite that I just use for my 5 yr old. It's literally just for little kids games. I have an SD card plugged into the tablet but I cant figure out why it wont let me move apps to the SD card. I go into tha apps settings, then storage, then change storage to SD card and it starts to move the app but then says theres not enough on the SD card to move it.

I remember like 4-5 years ago there was an app that let me mount the SD card as the internal storage and that's how I moved apps around. Do i need to do something like that here??

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Android has mostly moved away from allowing apps to be moved to the SD card because it brings up several problems, including data corruption and loss. Apps constantly write and re-write data, and SD cards are not designed for so much data writing. If storage is an issue for apps, you are better off getting a different phone with more internal storage. SD cards are best suited for stand alone files like media and documents, which are written once and read many times.

There may be another issue at play here too. When it tells you there isn't enough storage on the card to move an app, is the card itself reporting that you should have enough space? If that's the case, the card could be defective or counterfeit (very common for cards bought on Amazon and similar online markets). Even if you figure out this issue, what I said above about moving apps in general still stands.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I remember like 4-5 years ago there was an app that let me mount the SD card as the internal storage and that's how I moved apps around. Do i need to do something like that here??
That wasn't an app, but a feature of Android itself. It was mainly for low end devices with a minimal amount of ram.

It's called "adoptable" storage or "format as internal storage". Something you can format an SD card to be.

But I don't ever suggest doing that. SD card memory is much slower than internal ram. Also, it formats and encrypts the card for only that device and the device now spreads its filesystem across internal ram and the SD card as one larger memory pool. If you just take it out without going through the removal process, the device will not function properly as it's looking for the rest of the memory that's suddenly gone.

Besides, Samsung removed the ability to format the SD card as adoptable storage in its android OS. So, that's not an option anyway.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We don't have a subforum for the Tab A7 lite, but I moved your thread from the Galaxy Tab 7-inch forum (which was for the original Galaxy Tab) to the Tab A forum, which is kind of the closest.