"Beyond that, the Evo is basically a technology demo"

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The only thing David Pogue is good for is reading what the apple fanboys think of the latest iThing.

That's not to say that there are some reasonable criticisms in the article, but I can't take anything Pogue says seriously.

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
That's not to say that there are some reasonable criticisms in the article, but I can't take anything Pogue says seriously.

Some may not be able to take him seriously, but what he said in that article is spot on.

I did not see any bias in that article.

Torx

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
unless its coming from CNET, pocketnow, boygenius, androidcentral, i could care less who this person is and what drivel comes out of his mouth.

stick to your little column mr man and keep feeding the iTrolls.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
unless its coming from CNET, pocketnow, boygenius, androidcentral, i could care less who this person is and what drivel comes out of his mouth.

i trust matt buchanan at Gizmodo too

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

Well then you should listen to his blog, as most of his points, I could find right here at "AndroidCentral"

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Seems like a fair review to me. Nothing like those tech crunch articles which were making up or exaggerating issues to give the EVO bad press.

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Some may not be able to take him seriously, but what he said in that article is spot on.

I did not see any bias in that article.

It just reads as something written by a person that prejudged the Evo before reviewing it. Pogue has had a few ethical issues in the past and is generally known to be very friendly to Apple much in the same way Mossberg is (and look at his review- same issues). In general his observations just don't mesh with reviews from other (in my opinion more objective and trustworthy) sources like Engadget.

Battery life is my big one- he claimed 1 hour use of hotspot, while Engadget was astonished it lasted 4 hours (which is impressive). I don't know what he was doing wrong but his battery woes don't jibe with my experiences (or what seems like the majority on this board)- about what you'd expect from a smartphone in this class.

On the video chat issues- rubbish. His first point was not just idiotic but not true; "To make video calling work, you have to install an app yourself: either Fring or Qik." Qik comes preloaded. I've had no problems using Fring for skype video calls- quality is fine over wifi or 3G (need strong 3G signal though, but c'mon).

Overall though, its just his tone that kills it for me. This isn't a review by an objective journalist- its a hit piece (okay, maybe that is a bit strong :D) by a man known to have credibility issues who clearly has an agenda.

/* EDIT: I should be fair, I can't exactly call anyone else a fanboy :). Pot and kettle and all that.

That said, I stand by my opinion of his review- Pogue and Mossberg just rub me the wrong way, always have *shrug*
*/

Last edited:

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is my big one- he claimed 1 hour use of hotspot, while Engadget was astonished it lasted 4 hours (which is impressive). I don't know what he was doing wrong but his battery woes don't jibe with my experiences (or what seems like the majority on this board)- about what you'd expect from a smartphone in this class.

I dont know either, but ALOT of EVO users on this very board, are saying they dont get more than 1-2 hours use. So, he cant be to far off.

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
It's a review. I didn't see him slamming the phone or get offended by what he said, because honestly, I'm not going to use the hotspot feature, video chat may or may not work - I wouldn't know because I don't really need it, the size is great because I do have big hands and found my Pre to be way too small, and I'm not going to poo-poo Flash lite because hey...it's running Flash. Maybe not 100% in every instance, but that's still better than what the competition is (or isn't) doing.

This phone is a beast either way.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont know either, but ALOT of EVO users on this very board, are saying they dont get more than 1-2 hours use. So, he cant be to far off.

I was also getting very bad battery life. I always seem to get lousy battery life out of anything I use. Just unlucky that way. Anyway I did the tips and my Evo is MUCH better now. I am getting very good life now. I am unsure which tip it was but I did them all basically. i:)i

Point is try all the tips. I also drained the battery and charged it full a few times. Most say you do not need to do that but I did it anyway just to make sure everything was calibrated etc...

Last edited:

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
"32 lucky hamlets." I live in Houston, TX, one of those "hamlets" that happens to be the 4th largest city in the US.

I think he took posts from forums and found the vocal minority to use as his experience. My battery is not now, nor has it ever been "50% by lunch."

I've read Pogue for years and have never been a fan. This article reinforces for me why.

ZombieRace

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I get 10-13 hours regularly. 1-2 hours of battery life? I don't believe it. You've gotta be running every radio, with every data hungry widget active... and even then..

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't find his review 100%, like someone already mentioned the "5" home screens? I mean, this is a tech column and you can't count or even Google some research? At points it sounded like he didn't even actually have the phone.

H_D

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
is battery statements are 100% TRUE unfortunately....BUT, I'm trying out different battery tips & hopefully Froyo will have an impact on improving battery life. I just wish that battery technology would evolve at the rate these newer/faster processors are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress