Will froyo fix the 30 FPS cap on evo?

cbfinger

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a question this will froyo update fix the 30 fps cap on the evo? the nexus one doesnt have a cap neither does the aria why. this is so annoying

ryan9102

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
"Android framework engineer "Romain Guy" isn't quite sure where this problem is coming from. He wrote a response, saying that for the record the "target was, is and will be 60fps." Strangely the Nexus One, which has official Froyo support already, also seems to be having the issue. It at least starts out during the Froyo running load animation at 60 fps (which allows it to appear smooth), but its framerate subsequently drops to 30 fps upon reaching the home screen."

http://www.dailytech.com/EVO+Nexus+One+Framerates+Capped+at+30+FPS+Its+Unclear+Why/article18685.htm

spiicytuna

Banned
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
"The same issue was reported earlier on Motorola DROID running 2.1 but installing Android 2.2 resolved the 30fps cap issue. Some users installed android 2.2 froyo on their EVO 4G, but later found that the [30fps] issue still persists. "

HTC EVO 4G Graphics Capped at 30 FPS on 2D/3D? | Gadgets DNA

===

Here's someone who tested Froyo + 2 other ROMS and it still had the cap: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6769032&postcount=88

===
From all that I have read, and I am not one complaining about the 30fps issue; if it's fixed, great, if not, I am okay with that too, but, from what I have read the only way it will be fixed is if (a) HTC releases a patch, or (b) toast's (xda developer) kernel is fixed to boot on the 003 devices (currently it will only boot 002 devices) and someone comes up with a way to fix it on the kernel/driver side. That being said people are diligently working to fix the issue as noted in this post.

Last edited:

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I could careless about the 30 FPS cap. I dont need more than 30 to play a game anyways. I can deal with 25.

While I think the level of bitching on this is over blown you will notice a hugh difference and htc should not have done such a sloppy coding job.

Last edited:

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
We need the source code to fix this. Once we get that we can adjust the kernel or drivers to fix this.

Forgive the conspiracy theory, but I wonder if HTC is delaying the release. The reason they would want to do that is because it is perhaps not fixable in the kernel. So they would want to sell as many EVOs as possible before the bad press gets worse. Plus they could get past the 30 day return window for the early adopters who would return it if they knew there was no hope of fixing it.

Ok enough negative waves. That's my glass is half empty Outlook for the day. :)

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
While I think the level of bitching on this is over blown you will notice a hugh difference and htc should not have done such a sloppy coding job.

Anything OVER 30 FPS is overkill. Sure it MIGHT look a bit smoother but games are meant to be played at 30 FPS. I just like seeing higher numbers.

cbfinger

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Forgive the conspiracy theory, but I wonder if HTC is delaying the release. The reason they would want to do that is because it is perhaps not fixable in the kernel. So they would want to sell as many EVOs as possible before the bad press gets worse. Plus they could get past the 30 day return window for the early adopters who would return it if they knew there was no hope of fixing it.

Ok enough negative waves. That's my glass is half empty Outlook for the day. :)

If that's the case I won't be very happy

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
"Android framework engineer "Romain Guy" isn't quite sure where this problem is coming from. He wrote a response, saying that for the record the "target was, is and will be 60fps." Strangely the Nexus One, which has official Froyo support already, also seems to be having the issue. It at least starts out during the Froyo running load animation at 60 fps (which allows it to appear smooth), but its framerate subsequently drops to 30 fps upon reaching the home screen."

DailyTech - EVO, Nexus One Framerates Capped at 30 FPS; It's Unclear Why

I'm running fro yo on my nexus one right now and consistently hit 60 fps, so I don't know where that came from.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, you get rid of most of the framterate issues at 60fps.
Ask PC gamers... they know.

I would like for some developers to work games on the Snapdragon processor and Google/HTC to fix 30 fps cap.

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Anything OVER 30 FPS is overkill. Sure it MIGHT look a bit smoother but games are meant to be played at 30 FPS. I just like seeing higher numbers.

No. flat out wrong. There will be a noticeable difference when this is fixed. The human eye can easily distinguish between 30 and 60 fps especially gaming. End of story.

That said people are really titty baby about this and there isn't a need for it. If you can't wait for a fix then return it and buy something else or buy the evo again after its fixed.

spiicytuna

Banned
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

I don't disagree that I'll notice a difference.... I am tired of every evo forum I visit seeing new threads started daily about the same complaint. I am ok with what I have 60+ fps would be awesome but what I have works and does a decent job at it.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't disagree that I'll notice a difference.... I am tired of every evo forum I visit seeing new threads started daily about the same complaint. I am ok with what I have 60+ fps would be awesome but what I have works and does a decent job at it.

If no one complained or blew it out of proportion, then Google/HTC would have less desire to change it.

Raging Thunder 2 plays flawlessly on the Nexus One... but has framerate issues on the HTC Evo. =/

leestyle

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I am ok with what I have 60+ fps would be awesome but what I have works and does a decent job at it.

It shouldn't just "work and do a decent job", it's the lead device for Sprint, it should be held to a higher standard, and the fact that HTC does not even consider the 30fps cap an issue was the last straw. Therefore I returned mine today to RadioShack and received my 30 day refund from Sprint.

maduhbee#AC

May 31, 2010
Visit site
it seems that nobody really knows the REAL advantage of 60 FPS! Besides gaming (60 FPS is real noticeable) the biggest real advantage is the 2D Responsiveness in your swipes and gestures. I was messing with an ipad, and that easily blows the EVO 4G out of the water in terms of touch responsiveness! The screen followed my fingers without any noticeable delays, even when I was moving it really fast! EVO 4G, there's a slight delay, and I can see that 60 FPS will definitely help it out quite a bit!

On the gaming side, 60 FPS i don't really care unless it's on my ps3 or PC. It's the 2D UI experience I want the 60 FPS for!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disappointer