rooted or not

cowboyfan723

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
What do I get by doing this to my phone? I had a palm pre before and never did it to that one so I have no idea what the difference is. Any help on the subject?

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Had a pre and I feel you had to patch it in order for it to be usable. The Evo runs great without rooting. However, I have rooted through a painful process and enjoy using overclock and tether.

IMO as far as Roms go, the Roms out there are other peoples vision and not mine, so I just use the stock version to customize my experience. IMO if you don't want tether, the benefits are more for fun than usefullness. Most won't feel this way. If you're bored and want to learn some things, root. I felt like even if I broke it I could figure out how to fix or get a new one.

At some point, I have to get the phone where I want it and leave it alone...or else I'll go nutz changing things over and over....

Hope it helps...

Good to see your'e a cowboys fan....good luck.

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If you root, do you have to use a custom rom, or can you just use vanilla Android 2.1 without sense, bloatware, etc.? I guess what I'm asking is, if I rooted my Evo, does that mean it still has the plain old Android 2.1 on there, or does rooting remove even the Android OS?

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Mine is rooted and runs stock 2.1... no it doesn't remove os...u can use vanilla and remove apps. Someone correct me if wrong...

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
dude, search... it been sticked, answered, argued over, and discussed at length.

I have searched for the answer to my question, but I didn't ever find anything on my specific question. No one seems to discuss just running stock Android, only different roms.

oddlou

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have searched for the answer to my question, but I didn't ever find anything on my specific question. No one seems to discuss just running stock Android, only different roms.

Rooting via the simple root method is pretty simple. With root, you can do a lot that you can't do stock, including flashing roms, taking screenshots, (free) tethering, etc. Sense cannot be uninstalled on a non-rooted rom. To run vanilla android, you need to install a vanilla android rom. I'm currently using Cyanogen's rom, which is a sense-less froyo rom-it's freakin' rad, btw.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm rooted, but running 100% stock ROM. Haven't even removed the Sprint "Bloatware."

So why did I root? So I can run Easy Teather, and do screen shots with ShootMe, and backup my apps and app data, in addition to my personal data.

So why haven't I played with new ROMs, or removed apps? Because I want to be sure I can upgrade to Froyo (2.2) without any issue when the time comes.

For my purposes, rooting using Unrevoked 3 was the simplest and safest way to root.

Predator-1

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
IMO, some of the best and most useful apps require rooting. A good example of this is Titanium backup and UltimateJuiceDefender. There are other apps out there that perform well but not as well as their "root required" counterparts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty