2.2 .6 update

osakran

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So i just downloaded the .6 update of froyo cause I was an early adopter of .3 Anyways I really dont notice any performance increases from froyo. It seems the exact same as 2.1. What exactly has been updates/added. Because the only thing I notice is a flashlight. Im talking about froyo in general too not the fact that I had .3 and just upgraded to .6.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Just minor things really. There are some changes to the txt msg app, you will notice as soon as you send your first txt. Also, long press on the home button now shows last 8 apps used instead of last 6. There are some other things that I don't recall but they are all listed out there...

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Froyo is much faster... Maybe your not noticing. At least in linpack, it previously scored 5-8mflops and now it's getting 36-42mflops. Plus I notice faster app loading, and scrolling is far smoother. At least for me

osakran

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I dont really notice anything. Im kinda upset too because everyone was talking about how froyo was going to make the EVO crazy fast and this and that. Whatever though I still love my EVO even if froyo was a huge dissapointment for me. Whats this gingerbread thing Im hearing about?

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I dont really notice anything. Im kinda upset too because everyone was talking about how froyo was going to make the EVO crazy fast and this and that. Whatever though I still love my EVO even if froyo was a huge dissapointment for me. Whats this gingerbread thing Im hearing about?

Is your phone slow?
It might be the 30fps cap you're feeling.

I'd rather get rid of the 30fps cap and be on 2.1... than have the 30fps cap and be on 2.2...
Just saying... people say it's nothing and only affects gaming.. PSH. Once you get rid of the cap you notice smooth scrolling and no lag in touch input.... big difference.

Things that will be faster with Froyo:
- Update applications = faster.
- Go to settings-->applications-->manage applications (before it would freeze and lock up)
- Browser is faster than any other mobile browser.
- Navigating inside apps = crazy fast (Try flikie wallpapers or just navigating through some heavy apps)

Last edited:

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Froyo won't make your menus that much faster, but I do notice installs and loads going faster. I'm sure some more processor intensive apps have been helped as well.

Gingerbread is the next update for the android operating system. Speculation pegs it to be version 3.0, but that has not been confirmed I believe. The biggest discussed change is a Interface overhaul, that will supposedly have stricter rules on what manufactures can skin. However I would not get any hopes up for a lot of reasons.

1) Google said it plans to slow releases of android to about 1 major release a year, so while there are rumors of a December release from Google, that might not be true. Plus theres a delay of how long it takes for HTC to get it to us.

2) We might not get an official update at all anyway. Froyo isn't officially coming to any of HTC's older phones. For instance the Hero is less then a year old and won't be getting Froyo. Also because of the UI rule changes, HTC might not be as inclined to adopt the new version right away. Especially on established Hardware.

Only time will tell for sure, but as I said I wouldn't really get all that excited for it anytime soon.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Froyo won't make your menus that much faster, but I do notice installs and loads going faster. I'm sure some more processor intensive apps have been helped as well.

Gingerbread is the next update for the android operating system. Speculation pegs it to be version 3.0, but that has not been confirmed I believe. The biggest discussed change is a Interface overhaul, that will supposedly have stricter rules on what manufactures can skin. However I would not get any hopes up for a lot of reasons.

1) Google said it plans to slow releases of android to about 1 major release a year, so while there are rumors of a December release from Google, that might not be true. Plus theres a delay of how long it takes for HTC to get it to us.

2) We might not get an official update at all anyway. Froyo isn't officially coming to any of HTC's older phones. For instance the Hero is less then a year old and won't be getting Froyo. Also because of the UI rule changes, HTC might not be as inclined to adopt the new version right away. Especially on established Hardware.

Only time will tell for sure, but as I said I wouldn't really get all that excited for it anytime soon.

I truly believe HTC has changed it's ways after the Hero with updates. Froyo and this update for early adopters came very fast. HTC did an amazing job getting things done quick this time. Hopefully the next thing is the FPS cap, which over at XDA a member got an email for Dan Hesse saying the issue will be taken care of soon enough.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
yea seems the same. I too notice that linpack was a faster than before especially coming from .3. but other than that, I don't see anything too special

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana