I Just Bought a Note 9 and I have a couple Questions

TheGleaner

Dec 5, 2020
Visit site
I bought a note 9 as a spare to my note 8, as from what I've heard its basically an upgraded 8(and headphone jack). It helped that I caught it on sale, an unlocked 512 version. I want to use it after my 8 dies beyond repair or reasonable cost to repair.

So first I see here, anywhere from a month to years ago, saying that wifi calling and video calling does work on unlocked versions on verizon, but then down the same question there are responses that say it doesn't. Wifi calling is kinda a big deal as our house has steel siding and standing in the yard you only get a bar, if that. I apologize if this just adds to the confusion of that topic or is against the rules. For what its worth, Verizon says it wont work.

Second is how should I store the note 9 for hopefully 3 or more years? I bought the note 9 as a spare as stated before (bought the unlocked version as I wanted the 512 GB of storage too, as I am already maxed out on my note 8 at 64 and 256)but when the time comes to put it to work, I dont exactly want to have to replace the battery. What do I aim for? Charge it to 80% every 6 months?

Third I've read on some sites that an update messes up the screen or something and Samsung's response is to send it to them? Is this where I take advantage of the place where I bought it from(B&H) return policy and update it and hope for the best?

Forth when I was confirming with Verizon that it would work on their networks, they said most of their apps would have issues or not work. I would assume someone has found a work around? I only use the backup for contacts and the message+ I think.

I apologize for the long post and questions that have been asked, but when you search and pick one that says yes, then go to the next that says no then pick another that says yes at the top then half ways down says no...its kinda confusing with the conflicting answers.

Thank you.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, welcome to AC!
You can flash it from unlocked to carrier version if wifi doesn't work on unlocked, I hear mixed results on this also for unlocked Verizon.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you.

Do you have any advice on the other 3?
Battery being stored for 3 years, 80% they say to leave it at that when stored for long periods of time but it will deteriorate some in 3 years fir sure , to what degree I'm not sure and never tested that.

As for message+ I used it on my unlocked Note 20U no issues and non Verizon.

TheGleaner

Dec 5, 2020
Visit site
Battery being stored for 3 years, 80% they say to leave it at that when stored for long periods of time but it will deteriorate some in 3 years fir sure , to what degree I'm not sure and never tested that.

As for message+ I used it on my unlocked Note 20U no issues and non Verizon.

So here's something I thought of recently: would it be better for it to just always stay plugged in?

Power is cheap here and I know where it can sit for a while and not be disturbed.

Last edited:

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Use the Note 9 now, it's a better phone, stereo speakers, upgraded hardware and software, keep the 8 in reserve. I run a Note 9 on VZ with another year of security updates available. The 9 is a great phone and if you don't use it, not only will the battery will become outdated, but the updates will run out too.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So here's something I thought of recently: would it be better for it to just always stay plugged in?

Power is cheap here and I know where it can sit for a while and not be disturbed.
No , if your not going use it for long periods of time keep it stored at 80 percent.

TheGleaner

Dec 5, 2020
Visit site
Use the Note 9 now, it's a better phone, stereo speakers, upgraded hardware and software, keep the 8 in reserve. I run a Note 9 on VZ with another year of security updates available. The 9 is a great phone and if you don't use it, not only will the battery will become outdated, but the updates will run out too.

The note 8 has ran out of updates long ago if I recall correctly, as has windows 7. Aslong as it calls and texts, and in the case of the notes writes with the s pen, that's all what matters to me.

If wheat was $30 where it should be, I would, but its $4. So I have to make due with what I have and I would rather upgrade to better than have to go backwards when I damage whatever phone I currently have.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ah, I didn't know if it would function like some laptops where it would run off of the external power only and occasionally exercise the battery.
Starting it once in a while is OK, but if you go. Long periods not touching if then try store it room temp at around 80% battery. @Mooncatt can chime in more

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Starting it once in a while is OK, but if you go. Long periods not touching if then try store it room temp at around 80% battery. @Mooncatt can chime in more
If the plan is to use the Note 9 as a backup to sit in storage for years, I'd personally return it (if possible) or sell it to get most of your money back, then buy a cheap burner phone you won't care about. By the time you start thinking of using the Note 9, it could be well on its way to being outdated and unusable for much more than calls and text, and basic app use. By then you may want to upgrade anyway. The current plan just seems like a waste of money, but I digress.

For very long term storage, I would more closely follow Battery University's table 3 in this article, regardless of if you stick with the Note 9 or get a cheap burner.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

I'd first drain the battery to 40-50%, then place the phone into an airtight bag like a Ziploc, and remove as much air as possible to prevent condensation later on. Then store the phone in a refrigerator (not a freezer), or wherever the coolest place is in your home if the refrigerator isn't an option. This will minimize the battery deterioration during storage. At 6 months, I would check the battery level. If you can't do so without removing it from the bag, let it warm up to room temperature before you open the bag to prevent condensation.

If the battery level is about the same as when it went in, then you should be fine leaving it in longer before you check it again. If the battery is down to 35% or less, I'd charge it back up to the 40-50% range again to prevent damage by being discharged too low.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If the plan is to use the Note 9 as a backup to sit in storage for years, I'd personally return it (if possible) or sell it to get most of your money back, then buy a cheap burner phone you won't care about. By the time you start thinking of using the Note 9, it could be well on its way to being outdated and unusable for much more than calls and text, and basic app use. By then you may want to upgrade anyway. The current plan just seems like a waste of money, but I digress.

For very long term storage, I would more closely follow Battery University's table 3 in this article, regardless of if you stick with the Note 9 or get a cheap burner.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

I'd first drain the battery to 40-50%, then place the phone into an airtight bag like a Ziploc, and remove as much air as possible to prevent condensation later on. Then store the phone in a refrigerator (not a freezer), or wherever the coolest place is in your home if the refrigerator isn't an option. This will minimize the battery deterioration during storage. At 6 months, I would check the battery level. If you can't do so without removing it from the bag, let it warm up to room temperature before you open the bag to prevent condensation.

If the battery level is about the same as when it went in, then you should be fine leaving it in longer before you check it again. If the battery is down to 35% or less, I'd charge it back up to the 40-50% range again to prevent damage by being discharged too low.
Thanks, I know you read into this a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia