Why can't my Evo send movies through MMS?

anon(51709)

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
For some reason or another, my Evo can only send videos through MMS that are at the lowest quality and that don't go over 5-10 seconds in length. Is there a reason for this and/or a fix? Has anyone else been having this issue?

I would think I'd be able to send a video that was taken with the default settings (the resolution is set at WVGA, 800 x 480) but for some reason, when I try to send one at this resolution, I receive a message saying "Message size limited reached. - Sorry, you cannot attach this to your message." The videos in question are nothing long, 30 seconds at max, so I'm kind of confused as to why this isn't possible to send...

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Because even 30 seconds at 800x480 is quite large for MMS. MMS on various carriers have some pretty ridiculously small size restrictions (we're talking like 2MB).

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's a limitation of the MMS. It simply wasn't designed to handle videos and photos at the resolution modern phones are capable. When it was designed, cell phones were at 0.3 MP and recorded video at an even lower resolution at 12 fps.

Your only option is to use email or a video sharing website.

anon(51709)

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Well that just sucks monkey nuts. It'd be nice if videos were automatically compressed and scaled down to accomodate the cap that has been put in place by Sprint. It does that with pictures, so why not with videos? Oh well. Thanks, guys!

ghostkilla1388

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
so basicly i take a pic with a evo at full 8 mp and try to send it it wont? or will i have to take a lower res? and we cant send 720p videos to other evos either?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well that just sucks monkey nuts. It'd be nice if videos were automatically compressed and scaled down to accomodate the cap that has been put in place by Sprint. It does that with pictures, so why not with videos? Oh well. Thanks, guys!

Well, the cap isn't put in place by Sprint...it's the phone that automatically reduces photos.

As for video, if it tried to do that, you would still be very limited in length and the video would be shrunk down to the size of a postage stamp on modern touchscreen phones.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
so basicly i take a pic with a evo at full 8 mp and try to send it it wont? or will i have to take a lower res? and we cant send 720p videos to other evos either?

If you want someone to get the full pic you have to send via email. All phones with hi-res cameras have to compress the images to send via MMS, that's just how it is, with any carrier. For videos, you have to use a web service to let others view them. I played with QIK a little to try it out and even this seemed to compress the video to the point where the quality was crap. I guess you could always upload to youtube, but who knows how long that would take from your phone using a 3G connection. I'm sure more and more services will become available as higher resolution video capture becomes the norm.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I cant believe no one has noticed this before . lol.
This is from all carriers. They all limit video to low res/size limits.
My BB on ATT did this too. I had to use a 3rd party app to share the vids to similar to how the Evo will do now with youtube and flickr (even though some vids you may not want posted on the internet :)

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
My frustration is that if I send someone a picture, even if they reply with just text, I am prompted to 'download' the message. How/why is the messaging app set up this way? Even with Handcent it works this way so its not the native messaqing app at fault but the way the phone receives and renders the information.

If my janky Palm Pre could do it better, that should be a sign that someone needs to tinker with something....is this Android OS? Or HTC sense?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My frustration is that if I send someone a picture, even if they reply with just text, I am prompted to 'download' the message. How/why is the messaging app set up this way? Even with Handcent it works this way so its not the native messaqing app at fault but the way the phone receives and renders the information.

If my janky Palm Pre could do it better, that should be a sign that someone needs to tinker with something....is this Android OS? Or HTC sense?

For the first part, most phones will reply by default MMS if it receives a message by MMS. So when you get the reply, it's still an MMS message and the messaging app handles it as one even though it only contains text.

The reason is again a bit antiquated but it's there so that people have a choice to download a larger MMS message if they don't have unlimited data. Before these GB+ and unlimited data plans, a photo sent to a person that had to pay by the KB could as much as a dollar.

But yeah, there should be an option to download MMS messages automatically. Especially on Evos as we're required to have unlimited data plans as well as pay an extra $10 to use it.

Mark_in_Tulsa

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
If you have a phone with a high res capabilities and you live in the year 2010 then chances are you have email on your phone and your friends phone that you want to send it to has email capabilities.

So the question is how much longer do they keep the mms technology around? Or really even text messages for that matter since email speed and access is getting faster and better and easier.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
That is a good point. Text will stay for the speed, but I guess I agree that most of the people I would send an MMS to also have their email synced so they could just open an attached photo there. Not a big fan of going back and fourth but assume this is a transitioning communication era.

jjj1234#AC

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
For some reason or another, my Evo can only send videos through MMS that are at the lowest quality and that don't go over 5-10 seconds in length. Is there a reason for this and/or a fix? Has anyone else been having this issue?

I would think I'd be able to send a video that was taken with the default settings (the resolution is set at WVGA, 800 x 480) but for some reason, when I try to send one at this resolution, I receive a message saying "Message size limited reached. - Sorry, you cannot attach this to your message." The videos in question are nothing long, 30 seconds at max, so I'm kind of confused as to why this isn't possible to send...

I have been using a free app YouCast. It allows you to send file without size limit. You can send video to android device, blackberry via phone#(SMS) or PC User via email address. The big high light of this app is that video should be push to the recipient's device, not click to download like PC browser.

Go to market search Youcast

YouCast for Android

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Push my Gmail so I can use email vs MMS

If you have a phone with a high res capabilities and you live in the year 2010 then chances are you have email on your phone and your friends phone that you want to send it to has email capabilities.

So the question is how much longer do they keep the mms technology around? Or really even text messages for that matter since email speed and access is getting faster and better and easier.

Guess there IS one issue that must be ironed out before folks can all use email for sending pics, etc if that's the route best used....Google needs to fix their Push email so I actually RECEIVE my email and don't have to refresh with the app open in order to get it (Gmail user)

anon(51709)

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Where I get kind of confused, though, is that I was able to receive a video that was over 20+ seconds from my friends' Captivate and I was told that he had no issues with sending it; that it was WVGA and that nothing prompted him telling him that it was too big to send. So clearly, it has to be a Sprint thing if other carriers are allowing large videos like that to be sent freely...

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have been using a free app YouCast. It allows you to send file without size limit. You can send video to android device, blackberry via phone#(SMS) or PC User via email address. The big high light of this app is that video should be push to the recipient's device, not click to download like PC browser.

Go to market search Youcast

YouCast for Android

I think I had this on my BB. does this require the recieving party to have it installed to recieve the vids though?
I wanna say on ATT I had issues at one point with telling me files were too large to be downloaded too.

jjj1234#AC

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the receiver's device need have youcast installed in order to have video pushed. Not like BB email, gmail has problem with push. But if you install recently version of youcast for android 1.1.9, it can use SMS for push (more reliable). If the recipient is an email address, a download link is provided in the email. Video can be downloaded to PC. Certainly not on device (it will be blocked by carrier). The device need have youcast to receive manually or automatically.

There are versions for Android, Blackberry and Jave mobile. There will be iphone/itouch version soon according to the website. Hope this helps.