Why won't my individual SMS texts send?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My Samsung Galaxy S9 suddenly won't send individual SMS texts to other phones. This *just* started happening yesterday (the day before I was texting just fine--haven't downloaded any apps or changed any phone settings since then).

When I'm in a group message, my friends can receive my MMS texts. Individually, none of them receive my texts.

I thought maybe it was an issue with my carrier (T-Mobile), but my mom is on the same phone plan and was able to send texts to my friends.

It's not an issue with texting iPhones, because it won't send to my Android friends either.

One friend was able to receive an individual text from me when it was a photo (MMS), but none of my other SMS texts. I sent an SMS text to myself and that came through fine though.

For troubleshooting, I've tried:

-soft restart
-hard restart
-turning my wifi off/turning it back on
-hard reset of all network settings
-clearing my cache data
-force stopping the app
-removing/reinserting my SIM card
-checking for updates (I'm fully updated)
-turning off the "chat" feature
-having them check their MMS settings (their phones are up to date and MMS is on)

I can't find any new fixes or suggestions as to what the problem is. Ideas?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Also, can you try someone else’s SIM in your phone, and your SIM in theirs?

(Thank you for a most admirably detailed question.)

Note 10 user

Aug 8, 2022
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my note 10. Some iphone users can receive my sms texts but others can't. Android users are fine. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 4 messaging apps and cleared cache on all of them and can't seem to figure out why. For me this started happening 3 days ago out of nowhere. I'm fully up to date on system upgrades too. Hopefully someone has suggestions!

Note 10 user

Aug 8, 2022
Visit site
Some users not receiving my sms texts

My Samsung note 10 suddenly won't send individual SMS texts to some iphones. This started happening 3 days ago (the day before I was texting just fine--haven't downloaded any apps or changed any phone settings since then).

It isn't all iphones, just some. But all can receive images (mms) just not the text itself. If on a group text the text goes through

For troubleshooting, I've tried:

-soft restart
-hard restart
-turning my wifi off/turning it back on
-hard reset of all network settings
-clearing my cache data
-force stopping the app
-removing/reinserting my SIM card
-checking for updates (I'm fully updated)
-turning off the "chat" feature
-having them check their MMS settings (their phones are up to date and MMS is on)
-4 different messaging apps (stock app, messages, textra, verizon messenger)

I can't find any new fixes or suggestions as to what the problem is. Ideas?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, I have to agree with belodion, the level of detail is something we rarely see around here and it helps with advice allowing us to skip the basics.

In the meantime trying a different app is about only thing that was left off of that list. When you say that you cleared cache data do you mean that you cleared the app cache, the partition cache or both? This doesn't feel like a partition cache issue but if we're exploring possibilities...
@Note 10 user Your issue is not likely be affected by an app change. You say that your messages are fine between you and other Androids and most iPhone users which to me sounds like the issue may be on the other user's ends. For instance this article mentions that they have the ability to disable MMS and Group messages. Do you recall if the unreceived messages were SMS or MMS? IDK, explore that linked article and let us know what you find.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thank you again for listing all of the troubleshooting steps you've taken thus far. I too would recommend trying a third-party SMS app, like Textra, and see if the same situation occurs. Are you by chance using Samsung's SMS app, or is it running in the background? If you're using Google's Messages app and Samsung's Messages app is enabled, you may get a blip, there. Even switch from one to the other and see what happens.

Keep us posted on what happens!

Note 10 user

Aug 8, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the responses! I ended up calling my carrier (verizon) and after about an hour of being on the phone with 2 technicians they fixed it. It was nothing they had me actually do to the phone (which was a little frustrating because that tells me there was no way I was going to fix it). They said they had to do something related to the network and my phone but I don't have any details on what they did.

I appreciate all the troubleshooting steps and advice.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses! I ended up calling my carrier (verizon) and after about an hour of being on the phone with 2 technicians they fixed it. It was nothing they had me actually do to the phone (which was a little frustrating because that tells me there was no way I was going to fix it). They said they had to do something related to the network and my phone but I don't have any details on what they did.

I appreciate all the troubleshooting steps and advice.

That's so wonderful that your carrier fixed the problem for you! I do understand your frustration that it couldn't have been anything you could have done -- but at least it's fixed! Yay! Thank you for keeping us posted!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000