from Stock Froyo, to CM6, to New ROM

maduhbee#AC

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've waited for HTC to remove the 30 fps cap for the longest time. I remember when I saw the droid incredible on Verizon, I thought that was super smooth. So I waited for the EVO 4G on sprint to come out and expected similar results.

Of course, I was met with disappointment when I saw the device in action, and it just didn't "wow" me like the droid incredible did. But I went ahead and got it anyway. There was just something off about the phone, compared the droid incredible on Verizon. It wasn't until someone pointed out that the EVO 4G had a 30FPS cap, that made me realize what that problem was!

So I waited for a few months and I decided I couldn't wait anymore: I needed to root. This 30 cap was a pain in the ***... (for me at least) and I just didn't like how sluggish the UI was when scrolling through screens.

I decided to go to CM6, and BOY what a difference. This was the phone I expected! Though it wasn't as stable as the stock EVO 4G with Sense, I was happy. Everything was super smooth scrolling, games were running fast, I couldn't be happier. Then a few days ago, they announced the 30 fps cap was removed with OTA updates... Great. I mean I love CM6, but I also wanted 4G, since I'm paying 10/mo for it.

I unrooted the phone, and installed all the updates, download all my apps, and... Wow this phone is slow again. I couldn't believe it. Sense has a lot of crap in it that made android slow! my CM6 had ADWLauncher, and it blew away sense! it was amazing.... But... oh well, beggars can't be choosers...

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah...pretty much no matter how well something is coded, if you're going to put a skin/UI over an OS, it's going to take more resources to run. And Sense seems to be the most heavily embedded out of all the skins. I personally prefer the UI of CM6 over Sense anyway, and now I don't have all that crap running in the background :)

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've waited for HTC to remove the 30 fps cap for the longest time. I remember when I saw the droid incredible on Verizon, I thought that was super smooth. So I waited for the EVO 4G on sprint to come out and expected similar results.

Of course, I was met with disappointment when I saw the device in action, and it just didn't "wow" me like the droid incredible did. But I went ahead and got it anyway. There was just something off about the phone, compared the droid incredible on Verizon. It wasn't until someone pointed out that the EVO 4G had a 30FPS cap, that made me realize what that problem was!

So I waited for a few months and I decided I couldn't wait anymore: I needed to root. This 30 cap was a pain in the ***... (for me at least) and I just didn't like how sluggish the UI was when scrolling through screens.

I decided to go to CM6, and BOY what a difference. This was the phone I expected! Though it wasn't as stable as the stock EVO 4G with Sense, I was happy. Everything was super smooth scrolling, games were running fast, I couldn't be happier. Then a few days ago, they announced the 30 fps cap was removed with OTA updates... Great. I mean I love CM6, but I also wanted 4G, since I'm paying 10/mo for it.

I unrooted the phone, and installed all the updates, download all my apps, and... Wow this phone is slow again. I couldn't believe it. Sense has a lot of crap in it that made android slow! my CM6 had ADWLauncher, and it blew away sense! it was amazing.... But... oh well, beggars can't be choosers...

You can also try ADW or Launcher Pro on Sense and see if that helps. You may also want to play with the apps/widgets that you have installed to see if it's something there that's slowing it down.

Personally I'm on CM6 with the Snap 7.6 kernel and I couldn't be happier.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
As cool as I think Cyanogen is I will never use it until there's 4g support. I would bet my Sense skinned 4g will CM6 any day of the week. Now when CM gets 4g support that will be something to see.

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
As cool as I think Cyanogen is I will never use it until there's 4g support. I would bet my Sense skinned 4g will CM6 any day of the week. Now when CM gets 4g support that will be something to see.

My evo was unrooted for about three and a half months, and I probably used 4g about five times. 4g doesn't really matter to me:p

Droid-One

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit cm6 was smooth and I used it for about a month before switching. No 4g, mms wasn't working atleast when I would try to send messages, and voicemail was messed up (constantly getting text messages). Now that I am on fresh's new build based on the current release my phone is smooth and I can run sense with the fps fix. I am as happy as can be. I won't even look at cm6 again until the problems are fixed. Only because I like stock Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress