Would you give up 4G on your EVO to save $10/month?

Would you give up 4G on your EVO to save $10/month?

• Total voters

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
If Sprint came to you and said - "We'll let you remove the 4G feature from your plan and we'll reduce your bill by $10/month." - would you take them up on this offer?

tholland85

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
same here. id do it in a heartbeat. i live in so cal and there isnt 4g anywhere close to me. this $10 fee is ridiculous. There charging me for a service that they dont have to offer me. robbery!!!! has anyone ever complained to them for this reason and actually got a $10 credit each month? this has got to be against the law some how

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
well this poll was really for those who are in a 4G area. i rarely if ever use 4G because of the huge battery drain so it's really not worth it for me. and 3G is plenty fast for me. the simultaneous voice + data is nice but not worth $10/month. my intent was not to start a bunch of Sprint-bashing here but to see who sees what value in the 4G feature.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I wish we didn't have to pay for 4g like TMo. I really think TMo's HSPA+ is gonna be much better than Springs 4g. But anyway.. I use it a lot being in a 4g area. I have a problem paying the $10 "premium data experience" when I already pay for an unlimited data plan. Especially when again, TMo's 4G is free. But, I like having 4g so I vote no.

mck2018

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I live in Baltimore, the first city to have 4g and I would drop it. I am usually in a place where there is WiFi and only turn on 4g every now and then. I am so use to NOT having 4g on that I forget to turn it when I am places where it is available.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes and I live in a 4g area and rarely use it. If it was like 3g where I didn't have to flick a switch to turn it on/off and wait for a signal I would use it more often.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, the problem is that Sprint will NEVER tell you the $10 surcharge is for 4g. Technically, 4g could go away, and as far as they're concerned, you still have to pay the surcharge because the Evo is a multimedia/network intensive phone that allows premium services like two-way video chat and blah blah blah...regardless of whether or not it's on 3g or 4g. That's how they get away with charging the premium to those of us who don't live in a 4g market.

Reactions: anon(84949)

kennycrudup

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
We're getting WiMax 12/1 in both the cities I spend most of my time and I'd still give it up in a heartbeat. I'd spent a few days this August in the Seatte Area (i.e., the home of Clearwire and presumably one of the best-served areas in the country) and it was still fairly spotty, not usable indoors much, and not really much faster real-world than 3G (and def. not WiFi).

I hear LTE is supposed to be better, so in a couple of years when I'm sick of the EVO I'll get one that runs that band.

lvdata

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I live in Las Vegas, NV and don't use the 4g because of the battery drain. I do use Clear for my home internet connection, and the larger clear modem is much better picking up a signal, but with 3/5 bars I don't get the speed I am paying for. 4g mobile is worthless as my 3g is stable and quick enough for what I need. By the time I remember to turn 4g on, I am done using my "slower" 3g connection. With 45 seconds to turn on 4g, there is almost no time it would save time. For large downloads I have Evo > Wifi > Clear > Internet and it is faster then the built in 4g modem and lower power.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Well since the 10bucks is for truly unlimited data, I might give up 4G and stay under a 5GB cap to save 10 bucks. I live in Atlanta but go to school in a non 4g city, and even in Atlanta 4g is spotty. At this point it isn't where it needs to be, drains the heck out of battery, so I am thinking I could live without it. Cool thing about 4G is that i can show it off to all my friends, and that it is faster than most people ATT DSL connections in atlanta.

dmrdsm

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't live in a 4g area - so heck yes I'd like that charge removed. It's sad turning on my phone everyday and seeing that bright 4g logo flashing me only to know that my phone will be outdated before it ever comes to our area......of course they say that charge isn't for the 4g........

Biffer

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
4G coverage in Minneapolis is still spotty. It works poorly while driving. It slows down my entire phone terribly. For me, I'd take the money any day of the week.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I wish we didn't have to pay for 4g like TMo. I really think TMo's HSPA+ is gonna be much better than Springs 4g. But anyway.. I use it a lot being in a 4g area. I have a problem paying the $10 "premium data experience" when I already pay for an unlimited data plan. Especially when again, TMo's 4G is free. But, I like having 4g so I vote no.

TMO's HSPA+ network is WICKED FAST!!! I had a Nexus One on T-Mobile and if your on HSPA+ it blew away what I get on the EVO.... The biggest problem with TMO was their overall coast to coast US coverage is very limited... Just driving down I-40 from either Nashville to Knoxville (2 hours 20 minutes) or Nashville to Memphis (3 hours) I was in Roaming mode unless near a major city and only got 3G in Nashville, Knoxville, Jackson, TN and Memphis... Outside of that your surfing around on Edge speeds or worse...

Even with the $10 EVO tax (It's never ever - EVER been a 4G fee) my monthly plan is a hell of a lot cheaper than what I paid with AT&T and the iPhone... TMO's every thing plan (if you pay full price for the phone as I did with my Nexus One) is the best deal besides Sprint.. and if you live, work and play in a solid 3G or HSPA+ city TMO is the deal... I live 30 miles south east off I-24 from Nashville and only got Edge speeds at home.. had to drive at least 10 miles towards Nashville to get "3G" speeds...

KingGrimlock

May 8, 2010
Visit site
i would in a heartbeat. i'm in chicago, and i haven't even turned on 4g yet since i bought the phone. i just read rss feeds, twitter and text (no streaming media), so 3g/wifi is plenty for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez