Got my white spots fixed.

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had two of the white spots on my EVO screen that you could see on light colored backgrounds. Started shortly after I bought it, then another appeared. Its annoyed me for a while but I put up with it since it looks like some people were having issues with Sprint replacing the screen.

Well today I drove by my local St. Pete store and decided to stop in. The tech was aware of the issue, said it was not due to heat but the backlight bleeding through. Not sure I believe him on that however but I'm not going to argue about it. He said they normally don't replace screens for cosmetic issues, and I thought.. oh, here we go... but he said since I have the insurance they would do it.. no problem.

Came back a couple hours later (Due to my schedule, not theirs) and it was fixed. They do replace the entire screen and glass apparently as my SEIDIO plastic screen protector was gone but thats fine. No bright spots. The tech did say he was surprised I noticed it (I think that was his way of saying I was anal retentive about my phone).. LOL.

I'm glad Sprint handled this properly as its definitely a defect with certain phones.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I had mine replaced through HTC warranty at a Sprint store for the same issue. I had one white spot, it wasn't a big deal, then I got a second huge one that was driving me a bit bonkers. I'm glad they took care of it.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the white spots on my EVO and I swear when my EVO was plugged in and charging if I ran my finger over the spot the screen would go crazy. Had my EVO replaced through TEP paid the $100 and got a NIB replacement.

Dave

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I had the white spots on my EVO and I swear when my EVO was plugged in and charging if I ran my finger over the spot the screen would go crazy. Had my EVO replaced through TEP paid the $100 and got a NIB replacement.

Dave

so you paid $100 for asurion to send you a refurbished one.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue. Two spots. Really worried I'm gonna get a replacement that isn't as good as mine, but the spots are driving me crazy... yes, I'm OCD about my phone.

Guess I'll take it in. Hope they don't replace the screen, as I don't want to go through that.

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue. Two spots. Really worried I'm gonna get a replacement that isn't as good as mine, but the spots are driving me crazy... yes, I'm OCD about my phone.

Guess I'll take it in. Hope they don't replace the screen, as I don't want to go through that.

What do you think they are going to do to fix it? Replace the screen.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
We'll see. I have insurance, so I hope they don't tell me to buzz off with my "cosmetic problem."

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If they say "no it's cosmetic", just drop the phone on the ground. Ask how many times you need to do that for it to be considered more than cosmetic. TEP covers this damage.

Takes about 5 minutes to pull the screen off and put a new one on. That's if they have one on hand. If not, they will order a replacement.

If the replacement sucks, have them order another one. Keep repeating till you get a good one. I've done this multiple times for customers.

One theory to the spots is the lining behind the screen. The spots show up above the main cpu. Heat is destroying/wearing out the lining allowing light to seep through. It's definately not "just cosmetic."

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
The tech did say he was surprised I noticed it (I think that was his way of saying I was anal retentive about my phone).. LOL.

I'm glad Sprint handled this properly as its definitely a defect with certain phones.

Screw that, you pay good money for your phones and also get locked into contracts. You deserve prestine hardware, if it was their phone im sure it would bother them.

Congrats on getting it fixed.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I got one on mine too and drives me batty on bright white screens.
I havent taken it in because I dont wanna deal with them giving me issues with rooting.
When it bothers me enuff I will unroot maybe and try it

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I got one on mine too and drives me batty on bright white screens.
I havent taken it in because I dont wanna deal with them giving me issues with rooting.
When it bothers me enuff I will unroot maybe and try it

I just flashed a stock ROM, deleted the root apps, and took it in. I really doubt they check for rooting (or even know how) if it looks stock.

Since they replaced the screen, I just nandroided back the custom ROM I was using. Pretty easy and didn't cost a dime. Wish I did it a couple of months ago, since I started being bugged by this.

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ive got four on mine. Ive been to the service center several times but they always want me to leave it (and its always a four hour wait, it seems).

Im putting it off because I dont want them taking my phone apart...seems like more of a chance for dust to get under the screen or something...and that would drive me more crazy than the freaking white spots...

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I think they replace the whole top half of the phone and the screen is sealed inside that. The one I got has a little light leakage on the bottom edge, but it's covered by the platinum case I have on it, so no big deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana