Mecha or EVO?

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
AHHH. I'm so confused. Just when I think I'm finally set on getting a evo, I stumble upon a HTC Mecha article. I really really like the evo, and I highly doubt the mecha will have different specs then evo, but now I'm really conflicted. I've been trying to decide if the age of the evo bothers me. Its been out awhile, but I don't think that would really bother me considering most phones out right now have or are under the evo's current specs. Any advice guidance AC? I could use it..

Reactions: WhitePhone

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The evo is out and for real, the mecha isnt.

Get the Evo. Sure something better is going to come out and beat it in 6th months, but if you wait the cycle will start again. Just get the evo, you wont be disappointed.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
personally - i'd go with the EVO because i like the Sprint value proposition better, it's available now, accessories are available now, it can be had for only $99, and lastly i don't think the Mecha is that much marginally better to offset all of those factors.

good luck.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well brother here's my two cents worth. I've always been told and read that you really should pick your network first. What network is better in the area you live in.
Case in point. I got my EVO about a week after it got released and my wife got hers not to long after that. My daughter saw them and fell in love with the EVO. So for her 16th brithday we decided to get her one. Now the wife and I live in Center City Philadelphia Pa and Sprint pretty much rocks here. My daughter lives with her mother in Bucks County Pa, and as it turns out Sprint is pretty much nonexistent(at least where she lives). I didn't know it before we got her all setup.
I ended up getting an airave for her house(Sprint was cool about it and gave it to us for nothing and waved the monthly fee and all. Still had to return the EVO(and Airave) on the 29th day. She's 16 and almost never home.

So I ended up getting her a MyTouch 4g cause she's in AT&T country up there.

The short of it I guess would be if your in a good Sprint area get the EVO, ya its 6 months old. And by tech age that's alittle long in the tooth but the EVO was so strong out of the gate...

If your not in a good Sprint area find out what carrier is the best and get there top dog phone.

Hope that helps.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Everyone at my school (i'm in college) has a evo. I'm guessing it's pretty good. Back at home, I'd have access to the 4G network. I am really impatient, so I probably will go with the evo it's just so difficult to pull the trigger because I hate 2 year contracts lol. So do you guys have any major "I really hate" moments with the evo?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Why wait on a device that you don't even know when it will be released. I ended up doing that with BB and waited 3 months to find out the phone was being released supposedly sometime next year. One of the reasons I switched to an android device. Go with the Evo....its still a powerhouse. My two favorite carriers are Verizon and Sprint and my two favorite phones would be the Droidx and Evo4g. For me nothing beats those two phones right now.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Why wait on a device that you don't even know when it will be released. I ended up doing that with BB and waited 3 months to find out the phone was being released supposedly sometime next year. One of the reasons I switched to an android device. Go with the Evo....its still a powerhouse. My two favorite carriers are Verizon and Sprint and my two favorite phones would be the Droidx and Evo4g. For me nothing beats those two phones right now.

Plus honestly, even the "outdated" android phones can still run most of the current apps. So i'm not that worried. Worse case scenario, I want a new phone, I pay a lot for it on ebay. Plus usually when I wait for a rumored device, half the time it ends up not coming to my carrier so it puts me back at square one. I just hope that sprint keeps up it's network expansion.

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Everyone at my school (i'm in college) has a evo. I'm guessing it's pretty good. Back at home, I'd have access to the 4G network. I am really impatient, so I probably will go with the evo it's just so difficult to pull the trigger because I hate 2 year contracts lol. So do you guys have any major "I really hate" moments with the evo?

The only "I really hate" moment I have with the EVO is when my wife complains of having to compete with it for attention. :)

coogrrr94

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If you have a premier account you can upgrade every 12 months. My family has a premier account, not sure exactly what you have to do to get one, you could probably go the Sprint website and research.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The only "I really hate" moment I have with the EVO is when my wife complains of having to compete with it for attention. :)

That's one thing cool about my significant, doesn't care in the slightest. Most of the time we talk nerd together anyway. :p I can't wait to get away from this iPhone. Today I had two random restarts, and I still can't figure out why. I'm not jailbroken and I've had the same apps forever. Another thing that was annoying was that ATT gave me 1 bar, the whole day, even after rebooting my phone completely.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing. I'm pretty sure the Mecha will have the next-gen snapdragon like the myTouch 4G has. Don't quote, but I'd be quite surprised if it doesn't. As for the 4G functionality, LTE won't be rolled out like WIMAX is.

But like has already been pointed out, choose the network first.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Different types of 4G technologies. One isn't better than the other, actually, and Sprint has said that they can switch to LTE if they ever see the need. Both are capable of fast speeds, but won't launch at full capability.

The difference is that Sprint has a big head start with building out their network as opposed to Verizon. But since it's not officially launched yet it's really hard to say how performance will be.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Yea I'm not all that worried. I see 4G as a bonus. I will say this though: when my friend got his evo, we both cleared our browsers, did a reboot and went to Gizmodo, his loaded almost instantly on 4G, and mine took a good 1 almost 2 minutes on ATT's 3G. Was very impressed.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Speed is worth it in my opinion. I don't care about battery life, I'm usually pretty close to outlet. Plus my i4 doesn't really do that well with battery either. I'm used to lassoing my iphone to some sort of power source, won't be new lol.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how anyone can recommend getting the EVO now with CES only 2 weeks away. And to be frank I would not recommend using your upgrade discounts on the EVO regardless.

I have the EVO and I think its great, but there is a potential that within a couple months, with the proliferation of dual core chips, its processor could be two generations old (The snapdragon in the EVO was new when it came out for the nexus 1, but was on its way out when it came out in the EVO).

I know, I know, it doesn't matter what you get it will be outdated in 6 months, but that doesn't mean you should get something that is already outdated at day 1.

IMO if you need a phone now get a used EVO (or whatever else you may be considering) and save your upgrade discounts for next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87