Here is how to perform a " Full Complete Reset" of your HTC EVO.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Here is how to perform a "Full Complete Reset" of your Evo phone if you're having multiple unknown issues.

Important: This method will wipe the device clean, thus.. reverting the device back to its original factory default settings.. Note: This won't deactivate the activation of your phone. This method was giving to me my a Sprint Technician.

Follow these steps:
First, bring up your dial pad by pressing your phone icon, then press ##786#, press menu then reset - tap on the X sign on the right hand side next to the text imput... to make your keypad work. Type in your six digit code(Code can be obtain from the carrier). Proceed by pressing ok to reset device to factory settings, thus, getting rid of occasional freezes, and/or sluggishness.

(This step below should be done occasionally).

Note: Your phone is like a mini PC. Your Data Connection , and your Phone needs to be restart/reboot every once in awhile. So, you should update your data profile, and/ or restart the device occasionally. (Menu > Settings > System updates).

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Here is how to perform a "Full Complete Reset" of your Evo phone.

Bring up your dial pad by pressing your phone icon, then press ##786#, press menu then reset - tap on the X sign on the right hand side next to the text imput... to make your keypad work. Type in your six digit code(Code can be obtain from the carrier). Proceed by pressing ok to reset device to factory settings, thus, getting rid of occasional freezes, and/or sluggishness.

Note: Your phone is like a mini PC. Your network, and phone needs to be restart/reboot every once in awhile. So, you should update your data profile, and/ or restart the device occasionally. (Menu > Settings > System updates).

You can get the MSL from an app in the market I believe or with PST Lite.

This method seems a bit extreme and unless you're looking to force a PRI update I would just say going to menu > settings > privacy > factory reset

Or by powering off the device, then holding down volume down and power until fastboot loads and select bootload and then erase user data.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Curious question. I don't have an Evo. Yet. (february!)

If you do a full complete reset, does it remove your activation information?

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
to update or not to update?

There are so many topics and discussions
Is the new update worth it. All I can find are the list of programs it installs. Are there any actual fixes included in this update it just the programs listed?

Thanks.

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had to do this because my phone had quit taking calls while charging but would not do it voluntarily as it is taking me days to rebuild my desktop

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You can get the MSL from an app in the market I believe or with PST Lite.

This method seems a bit extreme and unless you're looking to force a PRI update I would just say going to menu > settings > privacy > factory reset

Or by powering off the device, then holding down volume down and power until fastboot loads and select bootload and then erase user data.
It all depends on the problem you're having with the device, some problems can only be fix by a clean sweep of the device. While others may only require a simply reboot or reset.

Curious question. I don't have an Evo. Yet. (february!)

If you do a full complete reset, does it remove your activation information?
Nope, your phone activation is already on the device - and can only be remove by termination of your account.

HYDE

Banned
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think these methods would do a full restore to the factory setup. I have done this a couple of times and it does not reset the splash screen nor the boot animation with the stock ones. It may omit other things as well, but those are the ones that are obvious.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think these methods would do a full restore to the factory setup. I have done this a couple of times and it does not reset the splash screen nor the boot animation with the stock ones. It may omit other things as well, but those are the ones that are obvious.

That's because those things are done at the system level, to get a complete reset, like truly 100% complete, you have to run the RUU (rom update utility from HTC) and THEN do the op's method.

Re: activation on this thread, your phone is still "activated" via ESN on Sprint's network, no matter what you do to the software, but using the op's method will force your phone to get all it's activation information again from the network.

HYDE

Banned
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That's because those things are done at the system level, to get a complete reset, like truly 100% complete, you have to run the RUU (rom update utility from HTC) and THEN do the op's method.

Re: activation on this thread, your phone is still "activated" via ESN on Sprint's network, no matter what you do to the software, but using the op's method will force your phone to get all it's activation information again from the network.

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. In case I need to take my phone to Sprint for service, that should help me get it back to stock. I took it in the other day and the girl asked me why my boot screen was different. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez