Battery voids warranty?

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I just purchased an EVO last week from a corporate Sprint store, then went to Best Buy and bought a Best Buy brand (Platinum) 3500ma battery. I had to get the phone checked today for daily rebooting, and the tech told me that the battery voids the warranty. Anyone know if this is true, as if it is, I will return the battery to BB.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
This I would for sure call and complain to Sprint. I'm sure they will give you a credit toward your bill.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

And exactly what would a bill credit solve?!

Anyway...the guy was incorrect. The batter doesnt void your warranty. You either got with a lazy tech...or one who didnt know a damn thing...

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I spoke with Sprint this morning, and the battery does indeed void the manufacturers warranty. But Sprint says that I am still covered by the Total Equipment Protection for which I pay a monthly fee.

Be careful with these batteries if you don't have TEP!

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I spoke with Sprint this morning, and the battery does indeed void the manufacturers warranty. But Sprint says that I am still covered by the Total Equipment Protection for which I pay a monthly fee.

Be careful with these batteries if you don't have TEP!

Would you please elaborate on this?

WHY does this battery void the warranty? What is Sprint's reasoning? Not an OEM battery voids the warrant? Is it because it is a 3500ma battery versus the stock 1500 ??

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased an EVO last week from a corporate Sprint store, then went to Best Buy and bought a Best Buy brand (Platinum) 3500ma battery. I had to get the phone checked today for daily rebooting, and the tech told me that the battery voids the warranty. Anyone know if this is true, as if it is, I will return the battery to BB.

Why not bring in the phone with the factory battery and cover, so that the tech can diagnose the problem?

I don't understand why people use the 3500mah battery. I get 40hours+ with my factory battery (albeit rooted & new rom flashed).

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
sprint sells the Seideo 3500 battery in the corporate store by my house.....for that matter e3very sprint store sells those batterys.....that makes no sense.......i would fight that....%100

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

WHY does this battery void the warranty? What is Sprint's reasoning? Not an OEM battery voids the warrant? Is it because it is a 3500ma battery versus the stock 1500 ??

This is not Sprint's decision, it is HTC's. I don't know HTC's reasoning, but I do know it kills their warranty.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
sprint sells the Seideo 3500 battery in the corporate store by my house.....for that matter e3very sprint store sells those batterys.....that makes no sense.......i would fight that....%100

The corporate store in my town doesn't sell the Seidio 3500. They do sell a Sprint branded 2600 or 2750, I'm not sure which it is. This Sprint-branded also voids warranty.
As far as fighting it, I don't need to as long as I have Total Equipment Protection, which I always have on every phone, anyway.
I guess this is just a warning to anyone that has extended batteries without TEP. Put in your original battery before going into a Sprint repair center.

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
This is not Sprint's decision, it is HTC's. I don't know HTC's reasoning, but I do know it kills their warranty.
But if it comes down to HIm having send his phone to HTC or go to sprint to collect on his manufactures warranty.....cant he just take out the 3500mah battery and put the original one in?....

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
The corporate store in my town doesn't sell the Seidio 3500. They do sell a Sprint branded 2600 or 2750, I'm not sure which it is. This Sprint-branded also voids warranty.
As far as fighting it, I don't need to as long as I have Total Equipment Protection, which I always have on every phone, anyway.
I guess this is just a warning to anyone that has extended batteries without TEP. Put in your original battery before going into a Sprint repair center.
yeah u know what...your right!!!!.......i just checked myself and there not sedieo.....MY BAD!!......yeah i would agree.....make sure your device is all OG....before taking it in

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe one of the reason why this may void your phone warranty is - the fact that you're using a different battery... other than the manufacturers recommended battery. It's similar to rooting your phone..they both goes against the manufacturers regulation. (Period)

Regardless of what improvement it might add to the phone, it still void your warranty. We might not agree, but that is the rule.

Last edited:

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

If you we're a phone manufacturer, you desigened the phone to work with a specific battery. Someone puts in a cheap battery that shorts out and messes up the phone. Would you still replace the phone?

HTC is just covering their asses here, I don't blame them one bit.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
But sprint should not sell accessories that will void that warranty. To me, I didn't buy the seidio battery to avoid this issue, but if a cell store or authorized dealer sells an item, then the carrier should be responsible for the replacement, not the manufacturer.

mbeezy

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
I guess it makes sense that it would void the warranty. But what doesn't make sense is that I bought one from a sprint store, and it was actually recommended to me by a salesman. Now why would they sell you something that voids your warranty? I didn't like how it made my phone look so I returned it anyways.

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk.

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

you would be incorrect sir, Sprint sells their own cell which actually uses Sony cells. It's also a different back cover and comes with 2. It's also not a lithium ion polymer nor is it 3500 mAh.

The sprint (sony) pack is 2600mAh, is lithium polymer and I'm sure it doesn't void the warranty since it's sprint equipment. I got mine soon after I got my evo, not the same as the seido.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
you would be incorrect sir, Sprint sells their own cell which actually uses Sony cells. It's also a different back cover and comes with 2. It's also not a lithium ion polymer nor is it 3500 mAh.

The sprint (sony) pack is 2600mAh, is lithium polymer and I'm sure it doesn't void the warranty since it's sprint equipment. I got mine soon after I got my evo, not the same as the seido.

Yes, it does void the HTC warranty, because it is not OEM. Doesn't matter that it is Sprint-branded.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87