Anyone developing hot spots on the screen?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Was having a drink with a buddy and noticed that when the screen is all white, we each have a hot spot that's brighter than the rest of the screen. It's about a half centimeter in diameter, so not a big deal, but noticeable. It's most visible when the screen is one solid color, but most noticeable when it's white.

I have a day unit and my buddy got his a couple weeks after. Just wondering if this is the start of screen degradation.

Cheers.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Fairly common.

If you have Service and Repair (or TEP) You can get a replacement if the store will do. Some stores, for whatever reason, wont replace it just because of that. You could always just crack the screen, which is covered. Or explain to them that you could just as easily walk outside smash the screen and come back in.

Service centers get paid to replace these. Seems like only a moron wouldn't replace it.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Was having a drink with a buddy and noticed that when the screen is all white, we each have a hot spot that's brighter than the rest of the screen. It's about a half centimeter in diameter, so not a big deal, but noticeable. It's most visible when the screen is one solid color, but most noticeable when it's white.

I have a day unit and my buddy got his a couple weeks after. Just wondering if this is the start of screen degradation.

Cheers.

I have such a spot on my screen with my launch day Evo. It hasn't gotten bigger and it's not noticiable unless the screen is displaying all white. Not a big deal but YMMV.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I've got a couple in the usual spot. Doesn't really bother me. Haven't even bothered to fix mine and I work in a repair center.

radiation0512

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Same here...actually didn't even notice it until I read this thread!! Thanks a lot :/ oh well doesn't seem to bother me though.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had my EVO sense about launch day and haven't notice any bright spots. Where are these bright spots located on your screens?

I'd have to say though if they don't bother you or make your EVO unusable.... roll with of and save the refurbs for the peps that really need them... just read a post about a guy who's kid tossed his EVO in the toilet. Now that's got to suck!!!

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have one also and it drives me insane. Mine is about one centimeter round and is very noticeable especially when scrolling text. I am going to exchange it under my Best Buy insurance when I get a chance.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ManxMariner

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have two. One is about an inch above the back key and the other one about an inch above that but in the center.

I took mine to my corporate Sprint store and they told me it was a pressure spot and not covered. I have tried twice and got the same answer. There is only one corporate store in my town.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
3rd party repair shops get paid to replace these. Most should be happy to do a quick swap of the screen and earn some money. You might help yourself by letting the tech know you aren't in a hurry. They should be able to get the part within a couple days. Makes them more money not having to do a mail swap and you get to keep your board. Make sure he checks to see which screen you have if you end up going this route.

But, unfortunately, not all service shops operate as they should.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
My spot has been there since it was new but I am sure they will have some excuse. The third party authorized repair center never gives me any problems, but the corporate store by me is horrible.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had my EVO sense about launch day and haven't notice any bright spots. Where are these bright spots located on your screens?

I'd have to say though if they don't bother you or make your EVO unusable.... roll with of and save the refurbs for the peps that really need them... just read a post about a guy who's kid tossed his EVO in the toilet. Now that's got to suck!!!

Seems that they're on the bottom half of the screen for everyone so it does indicate wear and tear from gripping. Don't want to possibly introduce the chance of something getting goofed up after a tech has to crack her open; I haven't had any problems functionally.

I only mentioned it because other than the kickstand losing it's shine, it's the first sign of wear on my phone. And I don't baby my phone and don't have a screen protector/case and there is nary a mark on the screen.

Remember all those heated debates about Gorilla Glass? :p

JohnnyKat

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I've recently had a second spot develop on my launch day EVO! The first spot is very noticeable now- not just on a white screen, but noticeable through any color.
I was able to live with it but I think I'll be making a trip to the repair shop.

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I've got a couple on my launch day evo, bottom half of the screen as well. Only notice it on all white screens which doesn't happen too often.. Wasn't sure though if it was a sign of something worse to come though.. would really suck if the screen went out.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've got a couple on my launch day evo, bottom half of the screen as well. Only notice it on all white screens which doesn't happen too often.. Wasn't sure though if it was a sign of something worse to come though.. would really suck if the screen went out.

I didn't see if everyone was launch day but it's probably not a good sign considering the switched screens, what, two weeks after release?

Not trying to start a conspiracy but it's tough to ignore the coincidence.

mdpre

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have two. One is about an inch above the back key and the other one about an inch above that but in the center.

I took mine to my corporate Sprint store and they told me it was a pressure spot and not covered. I have tried twice and got the same answer. There is only one corporate store in my town.

I have two bright spots in the exact same locations. Right now they are only a small nuisance, but if they get worse I might try and get a replacement. Does anyone know the cause of this?

anthonylokrn

May 24, 2010
Visit site
What's the best way to get the screen replaced? I purchased my Evo at launch day and it's had the hot spot since then, didn't bother to swap it out then since stock was on backorder. It has gotten worst overtime and now I have a second spot, though not as bad.

I don't have insurance since I take care of my phone, but corporate Sprint will not touch the phone and says I have to go through the manufacture warranty. HTC requires me to ship in the phone, which I will then be without a phone for a few weeks.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Just got my screen replaced for the second time (for free, of course). The white spots came back. If they come back again, I'm going to demand an Evo 3D for my replacement. ;)

thatwilsonguy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
From What I understand the most common spot is right above the processor. Some phones just run hotter (OC obviously has an impact). Other smaller spot are separate hotspots caused by varicose components. I'm on my third screen and it has come back. My repair center was very nice about it and it only took about 20 minutes. I'm not going to have it done again, I will just wait for EVO3D.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have one bigger bright spot and a smaller spot right where I have had two of my most frequently pressed/tapped spots on the screen. On several of the 7 sense screens I have commonly used icons on the lower row. That's where the spots are.

If the screen is dead-white, I can see them, otherwise they're hardly visible. I honestly don't care much at this point, and I've had my phone since launch day. If they were clearly visible in all graphics modes, or dark spots where color were washed out by the spot, I might.

Wasn't really thinking of upgrading phone this summer (ROM, certainly), we'll see how much of an issue it is over the next 9 months or so until I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984