S23+ running hot?

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
So it arrived! It's not quite as "flashy" as I'd expected - feels a little iPhone y and I really wish that it was just a little wider - but it does run verrrry fast and smooth for sure - that's definitely noticeable from the s20FE. It's obviously a good "workhouse" phone, and it was an easy transfer from the old unit. Slight regret I didn't plump for the Ultra, but that is TO0 big, and the price difference was too significant, esp for 512g.

Main issue so far is that it has been running hot. Better today than yesterday so I'm hoping it's just a "breaking it in" thing, but wondering what a good, safe temperature is? I don't game - this is light video, work emails, social media, music, texts etc. It does have a double layer case. At rest it's been 25-27c; yesterday it hit 39 in use; today it's been 32-35 during use.

Does this all sound normal and safe?

Reactions: techjunkie716

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Hit 42 while running a video today... :(. On a plus note, it cooled down pretty fast when I stopped.

It will be a be a bummer if it's the case, as I had a lot of trouble finding one I liked!! I had hoped to get another I-Blason cosmo, but seems they only offer it for the Ultra :-/

So... Should I be asking for a replacement unit, or just roll with this for now?

Reactions: techjunkie716

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Hit 42 while running a video today... :(. On a plus note, it cooled down pretty fast when I stopped.

It will be a be a bummer if it's the case, as I had a lot of trouble finding one I liked!! I had hoped to get another I-Blason cosmo, but seems they only offer it for the Ultra :-/

So... Should I be asking for a replacement unit, or just roll with this for now?
I can't tell you what's going on, but I can tell you mine does not exhibit behavior anything like that even with a fairly sturdy case on. It might be worth chatting with Samsung a little.

Reactions: notacoach

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Give it 10 days

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, the case seems to have been a factor - downgraded protection to a slimline Crave case and it's been running much cooler in the house 25-32 no matter what I'm doing. We will see how it does when it's on 5g instead of wifi (which is when it was peaking) ... The really weird thing is that it is noticeably more responsive in this other case (speed, screen - all ways) - what would make that difference? Have never experienced a case changing performance

This thing is definitely fast. Very smooth and quick to respond to any request. And the battery life is insane!!! I still have slight regret I didn't get the Ultra (and also annoyed that the FE is turning up right after I pulled the trigger on this) but the price I paid was very good, so maybe it will hold enough value for trade in next year and I'll be able to justify an upgrade sooner lol. And maybe the next Gen Ultra will even have a flat screen....

Reactions: monsieurms

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, the case seems to have been a factor - downgraded protection to a slimline Crave case and it's been running much cooler in the house 25-32 no matter what I'm doing. We will see how it does when it's on 5g instead of wifi (which is when it was peaking) ... The really weird thing is that it is noticeably more responsive in this other case (speed, screen - all ways) - what would make that difference? Have never experienced a case changing performance

This thing is definitely fast. Very smooth and quick to respond to any request. And the battery life is insane!!! I still have slight regret I didn't get the Ultra (and also annoyed that the FE is turning up right after I pulled the trigger on this) but the price I paid was very good, so maybe it will hold enough value for trade in next year and I'll be able to justify an upgrade sooner lol. And maybe the next Gen Ultra will even have a flat screen....
The temperature. chips throttle when they get hot.

Don't have any regrets about the FE, If the rumours are correct it's going to be awful and nobody should buy it.

Reactions: notacoach

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
The temperature. chips throttle when they get hot.

Don't have any regrets about the FE, If the rumours are correct it's going to be awful and nobody should buy it.
Ahhhhhhhhh I didn't realize it throttled. That makes sense.

Will be interested so see what the FE 23 offers (and $$), but kinda glad to hear it wouldn't have trumped what I've got lol.
Gotta say that, other than crappy battery life, the fe20 has been a great device, but I'm enjoying the 23+ more each day as I put it through its paces. Still prefer big, flat and squared (the LG V20 was perfect) but lighter and smaller isn't necessarily a bad thing and I'm starting to see why this thing gets such great reviews .... :)

Reactions: J Dubbs