Broken evo

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Just broke my EVO(the whole screen is cracked) and i was wondering if you guys could tell me what can i do. I have read that Sprint can fix the screen for me but also heard they wont. So do i just use my insurance or do i have more options please let me know...

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Ive heard it will cost $35 to replace just the glass without TEP. If the whole thing is broken, you will have to go through the insurance.

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Depends on the store and the personnel.

I have had a particular store replace the 'digitizer' and not charge me a thing (I have TEP).

Then 2 months later, an app downloaded from the Android Market made my phone wonky, and they tested the phone for 2 hours and handed it back with the number of Asurion telling me "Android is open source and you can't trust every app in the Android Market, even the ones Sprint Approved".

Needless, to say, i then searched the forums and found a solution.

I say try different Sprint Owned stores with service centers and see how it goes!

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay thanks!! I talked to sprint and they told me that they can't repair my screen so ill have to use my insurance and told me i had to pay 100$ :/ does that sound right to you guys?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have heard that sometimes you have to "shop around" to find a Sprint service center, but I do seem to remember some threads about the policy changing on replacing digitizers and screens.

If you can't find a local Sprint store to replace the glass / digitizer for you, I would consider going to eBay and buying one of the digitizer repair kits. I think they are ~$20-30 and if you are mechanically handy, it would be worth a try to fix it. If you can fix it yourself, you're ahead of the game and if you have to use Asurion, it doesn't matter if you broke the phone in the process (but I would try to put it back together as much as possible first).

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
We were told that my daughter's Epic with a broken screen had to go through insurance because the glass was cracked and that there were pieces of glass missing. Doesn't make sense to me as to why missing pieces of the glass was the impetus for having to go through insurance, but stopped at two stores with it and even inquired at a third and got the same story with all three.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
We were told that my daughter's Epic with a broken screen had to go through insurance because the glass was cracked and that there were pieces of glass missing. Doesn't make sense to me as to why missing pieces of the glass was the impetus for having to go through insurance, but stopped at two stores with it and even inquired at a third and got the same story with all three.

I agree that it is super inconvenient. It seems like the Sprint Service centers only want to re-flash the OS and not do any hardware repair work.

Lame