HTC Evo 4G / Sprint Nightmare

Mikal

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello, Android Central forums. This is my first post here. And for my first post, I thought I'd share a horrible experience I've had with purchasing the HTC Evo 4g.

I bought the Evo 4G a few months ago. I immediately had problems, and took it back to the Sprint store. They made me go to another Sprint store to have them reset the phone. The problems didn't go away, so, after much arguing, and being forced to call Sprint corporate, the store was forced to give me a new phone. However, upon picking up the new phone, I had even more serious problems than I did previously. So, I took it to the main hub store and repair center in the area. They have no explanation for the problems either, and have now told me that they want to give me yet another of the same phone, but a refurbished model, rather than the brand new one that I paid for. Wow, great idea! Someone's brand new phone doesn't work, so give them a refurb and keep the money.

For those who are wondering, here is a brief list of the issues that this phone has had since I picked it up:

1) GPS doesn't seem to work. When searching for anything, it typically gives me a "sorry, can't connect, try later" message. This is at least 50% of the time. When it does connect, it has no idea where I am. It tries to locate my search item based on where I may have been 24 hours prior. Refreshing does nothing. And yes, there's a full signal on my phone.

2) Data services seem to not work the majority of the time. Connecting to the web is almost impossible. Sometimes it works, but takes literally 10 minutes to connect to a site.

3) Android Marketplace not connecting. When I picked up this new phone, the marketplace didn't work at all. I'd click to pull it up, and get an error. A few days later, it started working. Not sure why.

4) Can't hang up because of screen blackout not returning. The screen blacks out while on a call, but when you take the phone away from your face to hang up, the screen doesn't come back. Pushing the top button does nothing. I always have to wait for the other person to hang up. Then the screen comes back to show the phone is hung up. This can take 10 seconds or longer.

5) Phone randomly restarts itself. It has even done this while sitting on a table, untouched.

6) Phone randomly jumps to other screens while using applications. For example, I can be listening to a voicemail, and it will suddenly stop the playback and flip to another application.

7) Phone started randomly dialing a number in my address book, and froze so that I couldn't stop it, hang it up, etc. I had to take the battery out to get it to hang up. Power button didn't work.

This is just a brief list of the issues I've had. Anyone have any idea if this is related to the Android operating system? Or are these issues inherent to the phone itself?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
go back to the store and get (demand nicely) a third one. if that one has problems i would not blame the phone or Sprint anymore. good luck.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
go back to the store and get (demand nicely) a third one. if that one has problems i would not blame the phone or Sprint anymore. good luck.

LOL Subtle.
On a serious note, it might be the network in your area and it will never work to your satisfaction.

rapmaster0#AC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Take it back. I know it is a pain but I had much more issues with my Palm Pre until about my fourth phone it finally worked like I should.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It almost sounds like you got a refurb

That offers no help and is not true. Refurbished phones in my opinion are often better, the bug or issue is usually worked out and tested a 2nd time.

I would ask for a refurb or a new phone this is up to the manager. The behavior and issue's you are having is not typical. I owned one for 11 months and work on them all day long. You have had bad luck and Sprint needs to make it right. Fully test this evo before you leave and ask them to run a SLATE test on the phone. And show you the results.

##786# to see if it is a refurb. Again it really does not amtter.

Reactions: reagan247

Mikal

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to add, I've never had these issues with an android phone (or any phone) before.

Gekko - Thank you. And if you keep meeting people who don't like you, I wouldn't blame the people anymore. :)

Averix - You're right, that could be part of the problem. But the non-network related issues, like the screen not returning to allow me to hang up, that would probably be something else.

Rapmaster0 - Thanks for your input!

Tube517 - That's what guy at the main hub said as well, but after inspecting it, he didn't update me on whether he found that it was or not.

Boggs3010 - Thanks, I will try that.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
maybe try this - since the Gingerbread update is coming tomorrow - update to Gingerbread tomorrow. then after the update do a full hard reset erase back to a factory fresh state. then install everything back one by one with a normal install (do not use a back up app to restore). the Gingerbread update is good timing for you!

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If that doesn't work, there's two things you can do - call retentions and threaten to cancel your contract in a polite, yet firm way if your problems aren't fixed or fill out a Claim. Sprint actually reads the ones you filed against them and a higher up(forgot which dept) will contact you and work it out. I forgot the name of the site, but I found it through Google searching through various consumer sites.

Corporate stores can be a real ass sometimes though. But try and be polite, yet firm at the same time. Don't let them *****foot you around.

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Take it back. I know it is a pain but I had much more issues with my Palm Pre until about my fourth phone it finally worked like I should.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

It only took you 4 Pre's to get a good one? Lucky! :p

I went through 6 in 6 months (2 of which were a week apart) and all were refurbs so the theory on refurbs being better didn't hold true for me. I eventually weaseled them in to swapping my Pre for a Hero which worked great until I upgraded to the EVO at launch last year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non